Does Cold Mastery remove Cold Immunity in Hell mode?

Does maxing out Cold Mastery make your cold spells work on Cold Immune monster in Hell mode?

currently, Yes.
It works similar to Conviction and Lower Resist
Its value is 20% and if it lowers the resistance below 100% then it breaks the immunity.

1 Like

Thanks, this helps a lot.

While it does break it, you still don’t do alot of damage against cold immunes. Its not near the level of the infinity lightning sorcs breaking immunity.

1 Like

At +10 skills its still pointless and fubar. Yes you can break some immunities but you would be 100 times better off with dual elemental spec in the end and 1shot everything. Blizzard went full crazy with cold resists in the old days and here we are.

1 Like

I’ve got infinity and tested Cold Mastery with it. While I was able to break immunity of more monsters with Infinity, it’s still not as good as lightening. There are just more cold immune monsters that have very high resistance.

I respec to light

1 Like

Exactly that. Cold Mastery is better now but still pointless.

1 Like

throughout the history of Diablo 2, yes, you could. From patch 1.08 to 1.10, no you could not.

In Resurrected, it seems like you can break them again.

However, the cap to -resistance from any source is -150%, and it only works at 1/5 effectiveness on immune monsters (so you can only lower the resist of an immune monster by -30%), and there are many Cold immunes with 135+ resistances, hence unbreakable.

Also, even if you break the immunity of a 125 resist monster… you won’t really do much dmg anyway. They’d still have 95% resistance on their end. You are better off going dual element, but at least you are not completely gimped if you go full frost.

2 Likes

It was actually very useful and was a great build until they screwed it up. taking the 1/5 math into account and the fact you are able to achieve a total of 490 total cold pierce with conviction as a single char (You can add more if you have lower resists as well). which at 1/5 effectiveness is 98 lowered resists which is enough to drop the highest cold resists monster (Chaos Knight) to 82% resists. Provided the - resists being at 1/5 applies to all of the -resists not just what it takes to “break” the immunity. If the 1/5 effectiveness only applies to the amount need to break the immunity and the rest of it applies at full strength the Chaos knight would be at 10 cold resists.

I don’t know what these user smoke but IT DOESNT REMOVE.

You can try. 4000 blizz damage with 20 Cold Mastery ant JUST SINGLE USUAL MOB DIES IN 10 SECOND !