Game Toxicity Born Of Bad Chat UI & Isolated Servers

This thread was inspired when I read this thread written by BMPK: This game is getting really toxic without /players 8 - General Discussion - Diablo 2 Resurrected Forums (blizzard.com)

The purpose of this thread is to really highlight some problems we have going on in D2r concerning unnecessary toxicity that doesn’t even involve the hostile feature, how and why it is happening, and to stir discussion about it as to catch the dev’s attention on the matter. Maybe someone in that office will care.

I’ll use a bulleted list of cause & effect, to explain what’s happening here:

1. In 20+ years of playing D2original, I never even once had a problem filling a Hell Chaos game series or a Hell Baal game series. This is because everyone on USEast as example, could see everyone’s games to join. It was easy & casual to log in for an hour here or there and tag some efficient XP runs. If you wanted to follow that game series and MF other areas, you could do that as well. Due to the ease & convenience of seeing all of these game series games on the join list, people just went there for XP and MF and nowhere else. This funneled all the XPing & MFing into a small bracket of games, leaving the rest of the join list full of actual games where people were actually playing the game, save a handful of trade games you may see.
  2. In 20+ years of playing D2original, I never once had a problem with community organization in-game with the chat UI and friend’s list functions. It used to be easy to communicate via chat & contacts lists. If you really didn’t want to use d2jsp, you could go to the easily accessible trade chats and see what everyone was trading. This kept traders in the trade chats and out of games, so the game join list wasn’t 90% full of “Trading Ist 4 WF”. You would see mostly Chaos & Baal & Starting Act 12345 & Duel games. ← And that is the way it should be.
  3. D2r releases, whether you agree with it or not, heavy aggression vs. bots for bans is laid down. This eliminates public bot Chaos and bot Baal games. Humans playing by hand do not have the patience of the bots and their ratio of time spent solidly running Baal games with no interruption is like 1/100th of what a bot can do. Needless to say, this eliminates much of the casual public Chaos/Baal scene.
  4. D2r releases, they isolate us into small local servers where we can only see a very small fraction of games that are created. IE: There are 50,000 games currently created on the American server but where you are, you only get to see 20 of them on your list. This again eliminates even more potential end-game Chaos & Baal runs that a player could potentially find to follow. It also makes for less people to see YOUR Chaos or Baal game that you make, who could potentially join to fill to follow. It is often with this server segregation that you can make a Chaos or Baal game let’s say, and quite seriously no one joins even over the course of 5 or 6 or more runs.
  5. D2r releases and they completely botch the chat & contacts UI communication functions. Yes, somehow the 20+ year old version of Diablo 2 running on ancient software & hardware had far far superior community communication functions than the new Diablo 2. The D2r communication functions are stuck in this not beta but rather an alpha like game state, as if the coding wasn’t just buggy but also simply incomplete and was never finished. This has resulted in a two critical problems: 1) No easily accessible trade channels. Now not only do we only get 20 games to see in our join list out of the 50,000 games on our server, but 90% of the games we see are “Ist 4 WF” games, making it harder to find important games to join, which also makes it harder for other people to find our games that we create. 2) There are no more dedicated channels with listed purpose. So now no one goes anywhere with any real reason to talk or organize anything. They stay silent in the chats because half the time it’s throwing players all over the place and they don’t even know what the hell chat they are even in. In D2original you could join a dedicated Chaos or Baal channel ran by an actual guild of players who had created moderator bots that would tell you what games were being ran and what # they were on so you could follow them easily, even after taking an hour break and coming back. Furthermore, there were channels for every game related thing, and discussion was happening in those channels. The difference here is that D2original chat UI was like a good forum where many discussion threads were happening that were labeled correctly to draw people into the right places to create cohesive discussions & communication, whereas D2r is like a forum that has no labeled purpose where all the threads are named “forum discussion #4”. You don’t even get to choose what discussion thread it throws you into and no one really knows what is even being talked about in those discussions so they are not interested to say anything at all. This is the difference between D2original chats and D2r chats. Well organized vs. completely unorganized. This largely has contributed to the complete dissolution of any in-game platform for organized trading, chaos, baal, dueling, or anything else for that matter. Now we are forced to use d2jsp like or Discord communities for even the simplest tasks. And even though I largely support d2jsp and Discord, I shouldn’t have to use tools like this all of the time for simple things like finding an actual Baal game to follow, because in-game communication and game join UI is botched that badly. This is inconvenient and unnecessary when the 20+ year old version of the game had all right the first time around.
  6. The aforementioned problems have led to the kinds of toxicity that BMPK was pointing out. What is happening now in D2r is this nasty gross cycle of: [I need to make a trade but there are no good trade chats] so [I look for trade in join list but can’t find it because I can only see 20 games] so [I make my own trade game and sit in it] which is cluttering up the game join list so people in my local server can’t see any other games, and then [People who are looking to Chaos or Baal can only see 20 games on their list and they are all trade games] so [They make their own Chaos or Baal game but rarely does anyone ever see it because join lists are full of trade games] so [Players get tired of running solo or duo Chaos & Baal and begin aiming at joining literally any game they see at all in the join list that has 3 or more players] which results in [High level players crashing games and killing all the objectives as quickly as they can, which prevents progress of the other players in those games, forcing those players to frequently have to make new games nearly on average just 5 minutes into the game they’ve just created] it makes this effect where [Players are starting to become REALLY aggravated about this and they are being toxic about everything] this in turn [Causes the high levels to be toxic to those players] and even in turn [Causes multiple high levels who join to compete for XP/Drops, to get really competitive about XPing/MFing, cutting each other off, not cooperating at all, even PKing each other and the people who are just trying walk the game for quest progression, because they cannot find solid 8 player games to join because the join lists are way too small and they are full of nearly all trade games].
  7. Ultimately what is happening in D2r is that not only is XP & MFing in the end-game becoming too competitive in the wrong aspects for all of the wrong reasons, but also pvm game creation in general is way way too competitive for all of the wrong reasons. Pvm is becoming pvp, very seriously, even without clicking that hostile button. Right now for the first time in 20+ years of playing Diablo 2, I am finding it mandatory to use d2jsp to formulate Hell Chaos or Hell Baal runs, where I have to summon forth the effort required to post a thread and maintain communication through while performing a game series to keep players joining, which I find incredibly obnoxious compared to the ease of finding 8 player Chaos or Baal games in D2original. Again, this is because I can never find Chaos or Baal games in my local join list and when I do, they are bait games, where some MFer is looking to run Andy/Meph/Pindle before people realize what’s going on and leave. And when I make my own games without d2jsp, apparently no one sees them in their list and I end up solo all night. This is all due to botched in-game UI communication and isolated local servers, all of this cause & effect I’ve mentioned.

DO NOT mistake what I am saying here. I am not complaining about players hostiling each other or PKing or anything of the sort. Most people know I am a pvp guy, I enjoy these surprises honestly. I am also not complaining about the idea that “It’s a public game and people can do what they want.” I get it. We all do.

What I am complaining about is overly competitive game hunting due to botched in-game communication features and isolated severs, that sends a message to everyone that encourages them to be overly competitive & toxic to each other rather than cooperative, over simple pvm that was once easy & convenient to perform for the past 20+ years in D2original. It’s beginning to make simple pvm in D2r feel full of angst & loss, rather than that old D2original feeling of gain & luck when it was easy to find, join, and follow the games you were looking for. ← This is a bad feel for the game and the dev team really needs to be focusing on fixing this first and foremost before anything else, as it is foundational for the general vibe of the game experience.

A lot of people probably have a lot of different kinds of suggestions on how to fix these issues, and that’s great. I didn’t make this thread to state some specific suggestion but rather to stir discussion on a complex topic that is definitely effecting the game experience in very negative ways. Not enough people are talking about this. Maybe they haven’t noticed for themselves yet.

But regardless, there are a few things that need to be noted before further discussion:

1. These problems were born from botched in-game communication UI and local server isolation.
  2. People should not have to summon forth the sheer effort to schedule time to get involved in a community such as d2jsp or a Discord, to perform simple tasks in-game. Our in-game communication UI & join list functions should be at least as good as D2original. D2r is supposed to be an upgrade, not a downgrade.
  3. As noted by BMPK in the thread link, people are competing over any & all games that have multiple players, because games are hard to find nowadays. Whether you agree with him or not that /players 8 should be added for online multiplay, just be aware that this is a piece to the puzzle, players competing & being toxic over higher player count games.

Speaking for myself, I’d just like to see the in-game communication UI updated so that it is as good as D2original, and to see server isolation removed so that we can all see each other’s games again. I think this would be a good place to start, for fixing these problems.

29 Likes

you need to separate your walls of text.

2 Likes

Only so much you can do with the bullets my bruh. It breaks the bullet if you try to do paragraphs.

5 Likes

well i can assure you, most people aren’t going to read it because it’s a massive wall of text. good luck getting feedback. my feedback is - i’m not reading it because it looks like it was put together by a 9 year old.

1 Like

This thread discussion was written for adult gamers.

Take your time to comment elsewhere if the text surpasses your 3rd grade reading comprehension.

~ Thanks.

9 Likes

sorry for trying to help. good luck with your discussion.

1 Like

Yeah very classy.

Thanks for your time bud.

2 Likes

I noticed “Group MF-Run” games have started to catch on. Especially with 2.4 and the increased level 85 areas, I think it would be amazing if we could see more games with a search filter. Then no one would have to sabotage each others games to MF.

Group MF-runs would become a new meta for D2. People doing Baal/Cow/Quests wouldn’t have to deal with people MFing.

Spoiler

https://i.imgur.com/wucf8cG.jpg

2 Likes

I 100% agree that the new lv85 areas in the v2.4 patch are going to help players with incentive to stay in games longer.

This is going to be great for my private Discord crew, where we agree to split up in private games and run certain areas as to not conflict with each other’s XP/MF.

However for public games, I don’t think this is going to change much from what is happening now. People will still be competitive over the lv 85 areas and will try to bully each other in kill XP, teleportation speed to clear things more quickly before others get to it, ect ect. And you know what? I think that’s mostly great. It actually gives a reason to hostile each other and do fun pvp stuff while pvming. I like it.

The new lv 85 areas certainly won’t change anything in terms of the problem we have seeing games to join on our lists in general, nor will it change the bad chat UI which prevents us from any meaningful in-game organization.

I am hopeful for the new lv 85 areas, but we really need the chat communication UI to be upgraded back to the quality of D2original, and for the join game list to be opened up again so we can see everyone’s games instead of just 20 games.

3 Likes

I agree with a lot from your opening post.
Just login D2LoD and ask/say something in the default chat channels and you will mostly get good feedback. Lots of folks helping with free rushes, runs etc. Quick trades. Free give aways. Open discussions and so on.

D2r chat just feels wrong.

But I also think that the old D2 crowd were nicer overall. Lots of wannabe pros on D2R, that would do anything to get ahead except for putting in the time/effort to do runs. They try any scam and only want to run p8, but quit after 10 runs because it takes to much time to find p8 games. They then come here to whine.

I think it would be a lot better with fixed chat/Lobby. But still those people would create trouble and whine here

5 Likes

I agree, competitiveness is fun. If people are hostiling each other right now, I could see why, there’s not many areas for them to farm, but come 2.4, aren’t there like 10 new areas? I think group MF can become a new meta as long as Blizzard can understand we need more people connected together.

Right now I see more “MF games” on my list than I did 2 months ago, but the problem still remains, there’s not enough people connected to each other to even see these games, so they usually only have 1 person in them. But I did see 7 players in one last night, all level 90+ which was actually cool to see, I’d like to see more of that.

4 Likes

My greatest fear is this is all by design. That they really don’t care. That they really “took our money and ran”. Sure does feel that way. I hope I’m wrong. Only they will be able to prove it.

3 Likes

The thing I am mostly worried about is the approaching power creep in v2.4.

Right now before we get these new lv 85 areas, the current power of end-game characters are already performing like 3 minute or less Chaos clears in an 8 player game, as example. So when things get power crept, even though we are getting new lv 85 areas, I think people are going to be rushing right through these areas significantly faster than normal. I think the new lv 85 areas will add more lifespan to each MF game created, but I don’t think it will be nearly as long as most people are thinking, due to approaching power creep.

So essentially, I think players are gonna be bumping heads competitively in games just the same as they are now because they’ll be moving through these areas so fast to move on to the next. And I think the game birth/death times won’t be too much longer than they are now either. So the competitive game hunt will more than likely remain mostly the same as it is now unless they open up our join list again.

They REALLY need to open up the join game list again.
Local server isolation is just not good at all.
Truthfully it is probably the #1 most toxic thing in this game right now.

4 Likes

You weren’t trying to help you were just being a petty bad word I can’t type here cause I don’t wanna get suspended from the forums again.

2 Likes

You know what? I wasn’t going to say anything originally and I guess I’ll choose to not say much, but since you brought it up:

This poor diminished Chat UI communication and diminished game join screen is definitely encouraging more and more people to begin using 3rd party sites like d2jsp, because now they have to if they want reasonable end-game XP/MF progression.

Whether a person is cool with that or not, that’s up to them. I just find it awfully strange that something as core & foundational as the in-game chat UI was left in the state that it is in.

5 Likes

It’s mostly a bunch of assumptions anyway, most of what OP describe could be his imagination, there’s no proof of anything he said. (And he won’t give any, there’s none)

1 Like

Aren’t you the same guy that gave feedback on a build you don’t understand?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s called: “Log in and see it for yourself”

I’ll never understand this weird trend that America is going through right now where people like to point at the obvious and act like it isn’t obvious.

No, but I did write this one: Bowazon PvM & PvP Guide - Talking About New Patch - Amazon - Diablo 2 Resurrected Forums (blizzard.com) It currently has over 12,000 views and is one of the most viewed threads in this forum.

Nice attempt at ad hominem though!
I’ll give you credit for it.

3 Likes

You didn’t prove anything.
You have NOTHING linking the toxicity to what you said, IT IS a bunch of assumptions.

It could very well be just because of Covid, because the population is younger than what you used to know, crap tons of reasons really, but essentially you don’t know.
You don’t have anything about that.

1 Like

You literally posted in a holy fire discussion about how MrLlama was doing so much damage with his holy fire build and that it could do a lot more damage with skill charms and min/maxed gear…

Those things don’t even add damage to the build. Just looked at your post history and indeed you did say those things.