Game crashes randomly with no warning or error box

Game is very frequently and seemingly randomly closes itself - as if alt+f4’d.

No error codes, no crash reporters, nothing.

Crashes can be as frequent as 2 steps towards a waypoint in act 1 and even just loading into character select or the lobby to find and online game or as infrequent as letting me do all of act 3 after getting khalims eye (this was offline, and it seems to be FAR worse online than off).

In the blz-log.txt file there’s a LOT of “9/24 15:34:26.644 [Render/4] [<>:0]: Encountered missing grading lut, .” Like… Hundreds, infact my most recent one I copied and that one issue (albeit with slightly different timestamps) repeats itself over 1300 times.

There’s also frequently (but not always) lines to do with textures like
9/24 15:38:28.558 [Texture/4] [<>:0]: The texture array data/hd/env/texture/act1/town/act1_town_camp/act1_town_camp_wagon01_m_ALB.texture was deleted before it finished loading.
Or
9/24 15:39:50.692 [Render/4] [<>:0]: Mesh vertex format is invalid. Filename: ‘data/hd/objects/shrines_other/deer_shrine/model/fx_cloth_lod3.model’, Mesh: ‘deer_shrine_tarpShape’

It behaved exactly like this during the beta and I figured it would be better on release but apparantly not. I’ve tried just about everything I can think of / that’s been recomended on reddit, running without antivirus/firewall, running in admin mode. I’d say the range is between 10 second and 30 minutes, on average I’d say I get about 5 minutes of play.

I’ve tried everything I can think of and that’s been recomended by reddit included but not limited to:

Scan/Repair the install via battle.net. Uninstall and Reinstall (and Scan/Repair a second time). Turning off Discord overlays. Turning off antivirus/firewall. Updating graphics drivers. Playing in windowed mode. Playing on lower graphics settings. Running as admin.

The only thing that gives it any form of stability is pressing G and playing a game I paid £35 for which looks exactly like the one I have several copies of in a draw from back in 2000-2001.

I also tried submitting this as a proper ticket but the page wouldn’t let me.

For anyone who cares my most recent blz-log.txt is this 9/24 17:56:15.893 [Render/4] [<>:0]: NVSDK_NGX_D3D12_Init failed, error code: - - Pastebin.com

I notice a recurring theme of “.texture was deleted before it finished loading” and “stamp with no terrain biome” as well as the 100’s/1000+ of 'Encountered missing grading lut, . " lines in most (but not all) of my blz-log.txt

As far as hardware goes I’m running a Ryzen 1600 with an AB350 motherboard, 1070ti and 8gb corsair ram. The “Mesh vertex” I see makes me think it might be this ‘AVX’ issue I’ve seen mentioned on reddit/Discord and that it’s an issue with my old af cpu?

@Drakuloth, the forum is saying I don’t own the game so I can’t post anymore but here’s a pastebin to the dxdiag

https://pastebin.com/GEvw2V4m

Also my most recent blz-log.txt incase that’s relevent (as has been suggested on reddit)

https://pastebin.com/bX5GG6T2

As for what I’ve tried, Scan/Repair the install via battle.net. Uninstall and Reinstall (and Scan/Repair a second time). Turning off Discord overlays (only overlay I use). Turning off antivirus/firewall. Updating graphics drivers. Playing in windowed mode. Playing on lower graphics settings. Running as admin. Only thing that seems to provide stability is using the old graphics.

6 Likes

I have exactly the same issue. No solution so far, that I’ve seen.

3 Likes

At least I’m not totally alone. What pc specs you got?

Heya Reaper,

The AVX issue results in the game not launching at all. Your issue would be more likely related to a program conflict. Several of these issues we’ve seen have been related to program conflicts and the like, especially sound programs with overlays and the like. What have you tried to do so far? Have you run through the steps here yet?

If you’re still having trouble after this troubleshooting, please generate a text copy of your DxDiag using these instructions. Once you have that made, open the file. Copy the code below, then copy/paste everything from that DXDiag file between the rows of tilde (~) marks where it says “DXDiag goes here.”

~~~~
DXDiag goes here
~~~~

If the file’s too large to submit, you can upload it to a file hosting site like pastebin and post the link in the code above instead.

dude after i posted an issue in the forum i couldnt post anymore either. telling me that i dont own the game as well

2 Likes

here’s a pastebin to the dxdiag

https://pastebin.com/GEvw2V4m

Also my most recent blz-log.txt incase that’s relevent (as has been suggested on reddit)

https://pastebin.com/bX5GG6T2

As for what I’ve tried, Scan/Repair the install via battle.net. Uninstall and Reinstall (and Scan/Repair a second time). Turning off Discord overlays (only overlay I use). Turning off antivirus/firewall. Updating graphics drivers. Playing in windowed mode. Playing on lower graphics settings. Running as admin. Only thing that seems to provide stability is using the old graphics.

+++ WER9 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: D3DDRED2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: VEN_10DE
P2: 30.0.14.7212
P3: 0x887A0006
P4: 7
P5: D2R.exe

Hey there,

This appears to be a graphics drivers crash of some kind. Please be sure to try using DDU to uninstall the graphics driver then reinstall a fresh set form the Nvidia website.

Let us know how things go. Cheers!

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I tried uninstalling using the program you linked and tried not just the driver you linked to (which I assume is the most recent) but also the most recent studio driver and the game ready driver prior to the most recent one. Unfortunately none of them showed any improvement, infact they seem worse if anything (Struggling to even get past the lobby and into a game most cases)

Hey again,

Thanks for following up. Lets go ahead and submit a ticket with an MSinfo attached. This will help us further investigate the issue and work with you more directly.

Thanks again for following up. We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks again for the reply, have tried to submit a ticket but unfortunately the submit button just spins around and redirects me to the ticket page without submitting (it did this when I tried submitting a ticket before posting here as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2ijuxTX48 

Video of what it does incase that helps.

Out of curiosity, I’m hoping to eventually resolve this issue and not need to refund, my understanding is that your refund is within 3 days, but as I’m actively seeking a solution and trying to submit tickets will that be extended if support are unable to find a fix?

1 Like

I have this same problem. I am seeing D3DDRED2 in windows error reporting and in MSINFO. I have done:

• Driver uninstall with DDU and installed latest drivers.
  • Selective startup with only windows services and startup

I experience the same issues, random crash without any error message or info. A slight freeze on the screen and then just shuts down, often around 0-10 minutes into gameplay. On odd occasion i can play longer up to 1 hour. I feel like i tried every suggestion from Blizzard and Reddit. No similar issues on other games.

3 Likes

After long hours of Diablo 2 Res running (if it manages to run that long without crashing) I notice that it begins to drastically slow down the computer as if there is a bad memory leak that it eating up the RAM (as old programs have a tendency to do with newer hardware etc.) But alas all of that out of a fresh restart I still manage to get crashes both in and out of windowed mode. I have reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers, I have even tried rolling back some drivers. I was one of the ones having issues with Blackboxes appearing in certain areas of the game when I was running native 4k resolution at 50% scaling. I downsized completely to window mode and toned down all graphics and they managed to go away but I am running a strong enough rig to be able to handle 1080p at the very least with high settings. I am sure Nvidia is working on a new set of drivers to help eliminate this.

But what brings me to a new point is that I’ve noticed that some of the game crashes are happening during keystrokes and/or macro use etc. I disabled all Razer Synapse and any key modifying software. My next step is to try to disable all Windows 10 function and shortcut keys and I am looking for a way to prioritize the mouse inside the box when in windowed mode. The amount of options available to resize resolution inside the game are next to none and you pretty much have to rig it from outside the game either via windows controls to downplay your monitor entirely or have a good enough graphics card that will simulate it when the launcher runs.

Someone also said on another post that Sound software is having a tendency of interfering and causing crashes to happen. Is this a channeling error? Disabling sound in a game where hearing drops hit the ground is pretty important but for people that are running background apps (even the battle.net launcher so they can message between friends). I find that it’s not a very viable solution. As is I can’t stand to play in window mode because it makes having to chase to click on items that more difficult and in higher player count games that means everything.

So this brings me to the question. What system and hardware was the game thoroughly tested on? Was it tested on Windows 10 and Windows 11? What graphics card and drivers were used. Was the game installed on an SSD? Can an SSD be a problem? (I know that SSDs can cause many issues with older games because the read speed is so fast that the game ends it tripping over itself). Please if a Blizz admin could find this out and respond that would help us Tech guys so much more.

I get that old games are going to have optimization issues. But you can’t charge 40 dollars for a remaster and then have it riddled away with bugs. The people who play these game put in some serious time to keep runs and grinds going which is what stimulates the entire online aspect. Diablo 3 bombed because it turned into a single player haven with absolutely no reason to play online. If this ends up being the fate of D2 Res and/or this stuff isn’t address before ladder starts. I feel like more of the older crowd is just going to head back to OG Diablo 2 because it has more stability.

The game looks and sounds amazing. The remasters are on point! The feel is there and I feel like a kid again. But even when I was running the OG on my Pentium III with my dial up winmodem I didn’t have nearly as many errors and bugs as we got with this.

So TLDR and to summarize

1. What was the hardware/software the game was tested and ran on before it released (Not saying Beta because those people had issues too).

2. Known app conflicts? if any?

3. SSD or no SSD? Memory Leakage? Multiple displays? Mirrored displays etc.

9 Likes

Im having this exact same problem. I cant even sit in the character select screen for more than 10 seconds without crashing. But if I select my character fast enough I can play for hours without crashing for the most part. Only had 1 crash while fighting bal, all other crashes are when I idle my character(dont move in town) or the chacrter creation or select window) no crash or error messages, game just closes. its completely repeatable over and over.

Identical issue and I’ve gone through all recommendations. No overclocks but I took the side off the case and put a big fan there just in case and the issue persists. Power and memory use seem very normal also. The game just crashes after 10-60 minutes of running.

This really started after the last patch/map overlay bugfix. The game crashed for me like 2 or 3 times over probably 70-100 hours of playtime before that. After that patch the game is crashing at least every hour or two.

Yeah the sooner the fix the better. I could not imagine playing HC like this…

Hi,

I’m running D2R on a dated system (i5-4460 4x3.2 Ghz, GTX 960 GB, SATA HDD, Windows 10), and the game runs absolutely fine with the “Medium” gfx preset until the next random crash occurs (Summoner Necro with 20+ minions and Might merc in 8-player Baal Run parties). Here’s what I figured out so far:

• Firing up multiple game sessions in relatively quick succession (e.g. Pindle/Eldritch/Shenk runs) leads to a crash quickly. Often changing acts/zones does too. As you’ve said, the game doesn’t manage memory/temp files properly, maybe there are memory leaks.
  • D2R taxes even the finest gaming PC’s. I’ve read user reports about very high GPU usage/heating and VRAM usage up to about 8(!) GB. It seems that the game causes few or no problems if you have a 12 GB gfx card. I found a workaround that smoothes things out a bit by underclocking my GPU using MSI Afterburner. Setting the Core Clock to -80 Mhz helps to prevent overheating and automatic throttling, which occurs when the GPU gets too hot. Random throttling seems to be another reason for the frequent crashes. On a side note, limiting the max. FPS in either the game and/or Nvidia Control Panel doesn’t help at all regarding this matter.
  • Why did the beta ran fine? Simple answer: The game now runs full-throttle, the beta did not.

Summary: D2R is a game with embryonic optimization and possibly memory leaks. This will take time to identify and fix without hampering overall performance. Keeping my fingers crossed that more patches are coming very soon!

Tipp: It is tempting, but do NOT buy a new system/gfx card unless they are below the minimum specs. The game runs fine on older systems if you use the default (recommended) gfx preset (Medium or Low). This is a software issue that has to be ironed out by the devs.

3 Likes

Thanks for the intelligent response that isnt the normal customer service crud. This makes more sense. Been freezing up and being knocked out of game and sending reports since beta.

3 Likes

Same problem. Waiting for a fix but they don’t even acknowledge it.

4 Likes