Firewall nerf was huge

Firewall was probably a bit overtuned, but holy crap. If you were fw/orb with fire mastery, even a 20pt orb will beat it now. It’s insane.

Can we at least get a respec? This bricked my sorc, and I already lost a respect to shift+click on strength (whoops…).

6 Likes

Blizz really should offer a free token per sorc for this. It’s a huge nerf where there wasn’t a timely announcement that it was a “bug” rather than a feature.

IMO, firewall should stack, so should poison, maybe put a limit on the number of stacks. That just makes sense to me.

5 Likes

It was a bug, and it is being fixed as intended. People on this forum has been warning about potential bug fix soon, yet no one listen.

4 Likes

Agreed, zero communication until patch notes is pretty bad treatment, seeing as this completely pulls the wind out of the sails of all Fire Wall builds.

Fixed an issue where overlapping Fire Wall or Blaze missiles could cause increased damage

This statement doesn’t make much sense because Fire Wall stacked on itself still deals ~doubled DPS for pyres lit up. Just tested:

• Cast firewall 1
  • DPS is x1 for target standing on pyre.
  • Cast firewall 2 on same tiles
  • DPS against target standing on pyre is ~x1.5-x2.

However Fire Wall DPS is just much lower than it used to be, even though damage numbers are the same.

So we have a situation here were they:

• Fixed long-standing bugs with Fire Wall related to orientation of the fire wall not dealing full potential damage, and also bugs related to collision of the fire wall.
  • Damage was more than good after this.
  • Then they come back and in D2R v2.3, tell us they have removed the ability for fire wall to stack even though they did not. Lowered the damage of fire wall, and reintroduce collision issues:
    Firewall Hits not Registering - #4 by Cratic-1413

Fire Wall needs a damage increase and bug fix for the collision issues at a minimum.

Damage doesn’t need to be as high as it was before 2.3 but it needs to be higher than it is now.

P.S.: Please let Fire Wall stack and allow multiple fire wall casts to deal full dps if they are on the same tile. Taking that away would remove the risk / reward portion of the spell… it would feel pointless.

6 Likes

Given they had just fixed firewall issues before the damage increased, the situation could have been taken as ‘working as intended’.

This was behavior that no D2R team member / blue post talks about or addresses, even though we’d been asking for clarification.

2 Likes

When is the last time you see them coming out and say certain skill/feature is bugged?

We the veteran players know they are bugged, posted plenty of video and they fix it during a patch note, which is how it is intended. They own you nothing and no explanation. People has been warning about this and said numerous time play at your own risk because it could be fixed anytime. Cold Mastery fix does not even required a patch, just a hotfix.

In fact back in the days they just change everything as needed and you have to rebuild a brand new char to accomandate if you ever build any char based on bugs. You are at least given an option to buy a token and just respec

1 Like

No it doesn’t need damage increase, it’s working fine in the past, people just overhyped over a new bug in d2r and being cry baby about it.

1 Like

This is very likely the source of at least some of the complaints. If people build their toons based on exploiting a bug, they should not expect that to remain static forever. smh

Except we have people complaining about them fixing a bug, and “no announcement” telling them they gonna fix a bug and no compensation for them when they build a char based off a bug.

People will complain no matter what, so that’s a non-issue. I’m also not aware of any software company making announcements to the effect of “we’re looking at this bug, we’re going to fix this bug, the bug is fixed.” That just doesn’t happen in software development whether in gaming or for any other application type, in my experience. As for compensation, why would they compensate people who were using an exploit?

Feeling grouchy today?

Exactly, as players we would appreciate more communication.

People <> D2R team member.

News flash, it isn’t the year 2000 any more. Game development and technology have improved over time. Developers and Community managers should be able to relay this info and engage with their game’s community on these topics.

Again, as far as I know, no team member or community manager announced it as a bug. Do you have a source?

Great job fearless veteran. You have yourself a nice laugh. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

why are you being extremely toxic buddy? people have a right to be critical about the lack of communication and express their concerns and/or opinions. You say firewall is fine? Defend your argument, stop attacking other people for theirs.

Now bug or not, I came here trying to figure out why my firewall suddenly is doing about 10% of it’s previous damage. That’s just not right. Now I don’t think we should get a free respec, what I do think is that it’s been nerfed way harder then it should have been. I mean it was pretty ridiculous, but then again it was broken on the wrong end of the scale for 20 years before that so… and besides there’s plenty of spells in the game who do this significant amount of damage with way less investment.

It needs to go up to at least 70% of were it was

5 Likes

To me, people like you are what being toxic to the game and community. Praising over a bug and cry about it when the bug is fix. You have the right to criticize on thing, but don’t forget it is also my right to critisize on your “concern and complains(which is non existance)”. Just because I hold different opinion than you does not make me being toxic, if my criticize towards you is toxic, than your criticization are just as toxic to many other people’s eye.

Firewall is fine as it is now working as intended like 20 years ago. There’s nothing to defend on that because it is fact.

And no, it isn’t doing 10% of what it did before, it is doing 100% as intended. It was doing way over what it is supposed to. And truth to be told, it literally just make you kill boss 5 seconds longer.

It doesn’t need to go up 70%. It is fine as is.

2 Likes

Its not fine as it is, if they continued patching it would look a lot different then today with a lot of skills. You clearly don’t know how blizzard patching works so i’ll try a fast recap for u here. Only reason why hammers, blizzard and all the rest high dmg skills stood for so long wasn’t cause it was intended to do so cause they stoped patching. Before that they always came out with a new patch nerfing the heavy hitters and buffed the weak skills and next patch same but different.

So its not like the got the perfect balance and all skills are what they intended to be, its just that they stoped patching so some skills just stayed way better then other. Personally i like all skills to be impactful so i dont want to see any nerfs on hammers, blizz etc. but they definitely needs to buff other skills so they will be equal. FW was the perfect example of something new finally getting good and fun to play with and it did so much for everyone.

3 Likes

It reminds me what they’ve done to D3, constantly nerfing prevailing builds as if they worry players may soon get bored with it

to me, it’s quite the contrary, since it’s a 20-year-old game
There wasn’t any heads-up from Blizzard in advance or any token after the so-called bug fix

Forewall is bugged, other spells you mention are NOT. PERIOD.

this is not nerfing, this is fixing a bug causing the spell to do more than it should be. PERIOD.

2 Likes

You are missing the point and the big picture as always. You keep focus on the small things. Im not talking about the possible bug here, I’m talking about whats good for the game and explained why things looks how they look today while you stated things are working as intended. You seem obsessed with the possible bug overlooking everything else.

It’s a dangerous mind set to have and I really hope blizzard crew looks at the big picture and fixing the real problems so the community can have fun playing this game.

3 Likes

You are the one who miss the point here.

It is bugged and fixing a bug is good for the game. Just because it does not benefit you does not mean it should not be fixed.

And this has NOTHINGA to do with nerfing a spell because it isn’t nerfing

2 Likes

The obsession is real lol

3 Likes

So I guess my question is, how are new and returning players supposed to know to consult with the “vets” who have institutional knowledge on what skills are supposed to suck? Why is it unreasonable for people without that historical awareness to expect the devs not to to mess up something as basic as how hard a skill hits? And if they do why is it unreasonable to expect them to actually include an explanation in the patch notes along with all the super obscure fixes?

IMO it wasn’t obvious that the damage was a bug (granted, I didn’t consult the community) – FW was still only situationally useful. It was still slow and clumsy and only really good for killing bosses and cold immunes. Now it’s back to (pretty much) completely worthless, I don’t know this makes the game better…?

3 Likes