Encourage people to invest in Magic Find - Thoughts

Well, we all like our mf characters to farm the items we want or need so much, and for that we invest in equipment to increase our mf. However, I find the mf logic somewhat controversial due to the large diminishing returns it suffers. There is no limit to the mf, but if you want to increase it as much as you can, it’s always somewhere around 800~1000 mf. But in practice there is no difference between having 350% mf and 1000% mf because the diminishing returns are huge. In my opinion, this logic should be the other way around. The big increase in drop chance of a certain item should be if you have high mf, not low mf. Let me give you an example of what I mean:

Pick up any item that can drop from Meph Hell, for example Lava Gout (according to Maxroll calculator)

• with 0 mf, it has a chance of 1:4489…okay
• with 350 mf, the chance greatly increase to 1:1833…very good
• with 900 mf, the chance increase to 1:1521…WHAT?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the chances should be 1:50 lol, but that logic doesn’t make much sense to me. I’m no mf expert and I’m not saying that drop rates should be increased with using a lot of mf. What I mean is that there is no incentive for players to invest in mf because having 350% and 1000% mf, in practice, is the same thing. The chances of a certain item dropping should be increased with MORE mf and not a LESS. Thoughts?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I read a while back that the reason they changed unique/set/rare magic find to diminishing returns versus magics was due to an issue when running with high magic find which caused a high number of uniques, sets, the occasional rare and very seldom magics dropping way back when the game was either still in beta or just after release.

Every time a base item drops, the game tries to roll it unique first, then set, then rare, then magic, superior, normal, sockets, ethereal and if everything fails, low quality/cracked.

1 Like

You still get higher chances with more mf so idk I really get the argument. You want huge gigantic increases without scaling? You would end up with 1:50 though if you removed scaling.
Without scaling uniques would rain from the sky and people quit in 2 weeks
How it currently works is really the best way

2 Likes

Yes, there were no diminishing returns back then and Blizzard saw this and “nerfed” the Magic Find. But let’s be honest, the difference in numbers between 300 and 900 is huge so the chances don’t increase by almost nothing. In the example I gave of Lava Gout, if at 350mf the chances are 1:1833, then at 900mf the chances should be, I don’t know, 1:700?

For me this is not a matter of game mechanics, but a matter of logic. If there is no increase in the chances of getting items, then there is no incentive to invest in mf

3 Likes

So you want 1:700 instead of 1:1500 a significant increase in drop chances. That would really decrease the worth of items though vs what it is today.
Idk it’s the d3 drops like candy vs longer grind d2 is now. I’d rather it stay how it is I think that is too big an increase in drop chance

1 Like

I agree with you. What I’m saying is that this increase should be with high mf, not low mf.

You see, you invest 350% of mf in equipment. A certain item goes from 1:10000 to 1:4000, a very nice increase in Hell Meph. This logic should apply with, for example, 800% mf and not 350%.

If you increase your mf to 800%mf, the item increases to a measly 1:3700. All these numbers I’m saying are just examples. Not for any specific item

2 Likes

The problem with increasing magic find scaling the higher you go is the order of operations that items try to roll… Uniques get first dibs on the roll chance, followed by sets, then rares, magics, etc. If the chance for uniques is really high and the chance for sets is even higher, the higher your magic find is, items will regularly roll unique, reducing the chances of rolling set, rare, magic, superior or normal. That’s why diminishing returns were put in place.

Yes. The point I want to make is that “with little mf” you have “more chances to find items”, due to the big increase that happens. So you “increase your mf even more” and in practice your “find items” is practically the same. It makes no sense to me. As I said before, I’m not saying that a lot of Tyrael Might should drop at 900% mf, but I think diminishing returns don’t allow the player to invest more in mf.

Why have 800% mf, if having 300% of the same?

2 Likes
Magic Find % Unique MF% Real % gained
0 0 1.0
50 41 1.41 41.0
100 71 1.71 21.28
150 93 1.93 12.87
200 111 2.11 9.33
250 125 2.25 6.64
300 136 2.36 4.89
350 145 2.45 3.81
400 153 2.53 3.27
450 160 2.60 2.77
500 166 2.66 2.31
550 171 2.71 1.88
600 176 2.76 1.85
650 180 2.80 1.45
700 184 2.84 1.43
750 187 2.87 1.06
800 190 2.90 1.05
850 193 2.93 1.03
900 195 2.95 0.68
950 197 2.97 0.68
1000 200 3.0 1.01

Remember, every base item tries to roll unique first.

Anything over ~350 is typically a waste, as it impedes your ability to kill monsters quickly and/or reduces your survivability.

1 Like

Look, as a casual , now, player i want drops to increase a bit cause i have limited time and in 3 last resets i ended up with very few items, no eni or infinity.
So i would like to see an increase to the drops. BUT not like D3 where you get full geared in 2 days and everything drops from the sky.

I do agree as well about mf. I mean, when a class is able to reach 1k mf, then to have a benefit from it.

3 Likes

I surrendered to the high mf characters and created a Blizz Sorc hc to find items for my assassin. The total sum of mf I currently own (along with mercenary) is 829 mf. The drop frequency of unique items and sets is exactly the same when I had 350%. It really is what you said, it’s not worth investing more in mf.

We can see many threads of people complaining about the drop rates. If magic find’s decreasing returns weren’t so high, this could be the possible solution to these complaints.

“I want to have a good chance of finding magic items because the drop rates suck etc…”. OK, sacrifice your survival gear, invest heavily in magic find and you’ll get the drop chances you want.

Isnt always the case.
When i have a couple of hours to play and i have 400mf and still i dont find much, and lets not talk about how many uniques are bad and when they roll, we go unhappy cause they dont worth and yet they are rare. But thats another subject.

For example, on single player i am trying to find titans, i saw that the best drops is in NM, i have done like 250 runs with this 400 mf and didnt find it, or anything worthy.

Plus the subject should be mentioned is they have to change the drops, like on hell to stop dropping sigons for example or normal items in general

3 Likes

Yes. This is the point I want to get to. You have 400% mf and are trying to find titans. If you sacrifice even more your gear to have double the mf, in practice absolutely nothing will happen.

I know, this increase can’t guarantee your item’s drop, after all RNG is RNG. But cmon, you increasing magic find more than twice and having an improvement from 1:1000 to 1:900 is sacrilege :laughing:

3 Likes

the problem is that not every build can reach very high levels of mf without gimping it self

and i personally hate the fact that i have to farm with my pally/sorce to get gear for my furydruid in a fair amount of time

1 Like

Yes it is difficult for certain classes to have a lot of mf. But it would be interesting if the player chooses to increase his mf, this increase was really significant, that is, the player looks at the mf calculators and sees that he has a real chance of getting this item, after all he invested for it. But unfortunately that’s not what happens.

I’m finding some good stuff with just 97% MF

I don’t have to worry about replacing chest armor for my barb till maybe midway through nightmare.

i desagree, drop chance of quality level 85 items are fine, only those above need some tweek

we can:

• increase its dropchance
  • add lvl 99 areas

i prefer the last

complicated solution to a simple problem.

the problem?

nagelrings and cathan’s rings drop like rain in hell.

going to nightmare and then to hell mode should not just raise the drop ceiling, it should also pull up the floor. i should not be getting quilted armor of any type in hell mode, i should be getting dusk shrouds. leave all the other chance based modifiers the same, you know, cracked, damaged, low quality, and superior or whatever.

2 Likes

there was always a diminishing return on mf. the diminishing return charts are literally from old d2 and it was never “worth” going over ~350 especially when hindering damage. i had a blizz sorc with almost 600 just because my damage wasnt affected, completely overkill though

I personally hope it’s not a thing is D4

I would massively nerf Mf in D2R too

Cut everything down by 75%