Encourage people to invest in Magic Find - Thoughts

Isn’t the diminishing returns occurring because of failed rolls or something, and not to any intentional mechanic? That’s what i always thought anyway…

Yes, leave mf alone, it’s actually a good idea imo.
Removing or reducing the diminishing returns will make decking out a character even more easy.
Removing dimishing returns and for example lowering droprates to compensate will just force people to stuff characters with mf ruling out many builds, because they simply cannot get enough mf to have “reasonable” drop chances.
It will basically make the already OP dominant builds even more popular as they can lose some damage for even more mf and still be stronger then the next in line.

MF is not just for unique items which is highly overlooked thing. I have personaly played thousands of hours with different MF setups and I can tell you that I can tell difference between 400 and 600 MF in drops. Its still noticable. So would be 600% vs 1000 over large period of time. And its not just for unique items, high MF bonus is quite important for Set/Rare and Magic items where some rares and even magic items are basicly one of the most expensive items in d2.

Yes, but take a good look. Blizzard itself says that “the more magic find, the better”. This is a false statement. The correct would be “the more magic find, more of the same”. It makes no sense to have 1000% magic find, and having 300% is the same thing.

Blizz, are you sure having more mf is better?

I don’t want to remove anything. Diminishing returns can stay as they are, but they shouldn’t be so, how can I say, high.

if the chance of an item dropping are 1:4000 at 350% mf, then the chances should be 1:1800 at 800~900% mf, not somewhere around 1:4000. That should be obvious

I cannot see this difference. In all the drop calculators I’ve seen, the chances of item dropping are pretty much the same, it doesn’t matter if you have 300% or 1000% mf. In the farms I made, I didn’t see any difference either. Just pointing out that I don’t want items to rain down on me just because I have 829% mf. What I want is to have a REAL chance of getting a certain item if I INCREASE my mf, because for that I’m already sacrificing my hardcore survival to have this increase

i find you’re already sacrificing too much kill speed to get over 300+mf … and 250-350 being “the sweet spot”, i’ve never seen a point in a going any higher.

People see no reason to go any higher because it’s literally not worth it. If having 800% mf really increased your drop chances, players would have reason to invest more in mf. If you lose monster kill speed when having 800% mf but the chances really increase, players would consider having more than 250~350%. This is the point I want to get to

It’s just not correct. You’re mixing up strategy with mathematical utility. Sometimes going from 300% MF to 500% doesn’t slow kill speed. Take pindleskin for example and blizzard. He’s dead in two ticks either way for me. I’d rather have +166% on uniques than +136%. For every rare shako you get at 300%, you can know that it could very likely have been a unique if you upped that percent to 500%.

So saying there is effectively no difference is just flat out wrong. Every build and situation is different. I run 500% on a blizz sorc and speed not reduced at all from 200%. It’s generally res that I only have to sacrifice, and that can be patched with charms. Tho even that doesn’t matter enough to bother with.

So really what you mean to say is that if you don’t lose kill speed, then %MF should be limitless. And yes, of course. But you keep saying that in a way that is deterministic that MF will always be under a certain point to be balanced. It’s just not true due to damage ticking mechanics. This is yet another reason cold sorc is the premier starter. You can push MF past 500% and still have the same clear speed. It’s just more glass to your cannon.

But regardless of your monster killing speed, if you are increasing your mf, then the chances of dropping a certain item should be increased. Shouldn’t that be obvious? If certain classes kill faster or not with high mf, it’s not the mf’s fault. For example, a druid takes 5 minutes to farm hell meph, while a blizz sorc takes 40 seconds, both at 800% mf. The high mf is not to blame if the druid is taking longer to farm

Yes, but what I mean is that the player should see that their investment in mf will give them a REAL chance (read REAL and not GUARANTEED) to get any item.

Exemple, in hell baal, a soj has a 1:5367 chance at 800%. At 300% the chance are 1:6593. You more than DOUBLE your mf and had absolutely no improvement. Your investment was worthless

Only one thing will get runes to drop…. That is killing speed only. So drop that mf and focus on blasting everything.

Going from 1:6593 to 1:5367 is a significant improvement. Think of it as finding that item about a thousand runs sooner.

More magic find is always better - the chances always improve with each point of magic find (it’s a logarithmic function). But if your kill speed suffers, then you should back off the MF gear until you find whatever works best for your character.

Yes let’s make MF more efficient beyond most players average of 250 - 350, that way we can significantly boost incentives for more botting.

As a solution to ruin ladder even faster it certainly seems applicable. Nice.

Many people want better drop rates. I am completely against Blizz changing the drop rates for any reason. But if that “change” were through investing in mf, I would see no problem with decreasing the diminishing returns of mf by x% for the investment to make sense. I can’t give a concrete number because as I said, I’m no expert on mf.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Bots ruin the game no matter what changes

READ: “I can’t comprehend how your post relates to the topic.”

That’s your problem, not mine.

1 Like

Omg man. The topic was fine until you appear. What made you wake up in a bad mood today?

I merely pointed out how this MF change would hurt the game, because normal players aren’t going to run that much due to clear speed reduction.

I like circles, it’s a neat shape, but I generally try to avoid them in conversations.

I think the MF mechanics are just fine. A better improvement would be to buff at least some of the rarest dropping elite unique items so that those items become an actual focus of efficient end game farming. Because the bulk of what actually creates wealth is either unaffected by MF, or is actually harmed by it.

I’ve got 5K Trav and 700+ cows runs under my belt. Most of the wealth I’ve generated comes from direct HR drops, plus gems, jewels, charms and bases. Gems I can sell in stacks for an Ist on average, and are steady income. Jewels and charms are 98% worthless, but the 1 in 50 or so are either useful for your character or sell for HR’s, some, like skiller GC’s with 40+ life, for multiple Jahs.

If you look at those categories, runes and gems are totally unaffected by MF. Charms are barely affected. I assume the only effect is to increase the chance of a GC being a Gheeds. Jewels are mainly affected negatively as the blue jewels with 15ias/30+ ED are the top sellers, with a perfect 15/40 selling for 2 or more Jahs. You might want MF if you are looking for facets, but those can be bought for mid runes these days. Base farming is harmed by MF, a lot.

So what is the incentive for MF if we’re talking about wealth building? It’s really been mainly 2 items, the Griffon’s Eye and the SoJ. The latter has seen a decline in value due to the dclone changes in the last patch.

If I look at my 2 farming spots, MF is “nice to have” on Trav, but doesn’t make a huge difference in acquired wealth there. While on cows, it’s arguably better to go with as little MF as possible.

That is the real problem with the lack of incentive for MF right now. I get tons of gold and green drops on Trav, and they’re wortheless. Those colors do not excite me when I see them. except for rings and ammies, they get left where they lie. What excites me is orange, first and foremost. Then blue, for the jewels and charms. Then white, for the gems. Gold and green are just not fun colors anymore, not for end game farming.

the main problem with new generation players is that for some reason they think everyone must find all the best gear… MMO disease perhaps?

My generation played diablo 2 using the best stuff we found and knew fully well that neither of us would likely ever find the best in slot stuff.

I must admit… my first thought upon hearing about the new frenzy act 5 merc was, “dual ali babas, alright!”

While letting your mercenary get the kill on the boss: a higher MF can now be reached in D2R than in the original.

Go ahead… I know someone is itching to let me know about 6-isted swords being better than the unique sword with 2 ists in it… or is ali-baba better? :thinking:

I also don’t make a point of finding all the items. I played it for the first time in 2005~2006 and I know that it is possible to finish the game with equipment you find and not with specific items. The thing is, if you have high mf and your odds would actually go up, it would encourage players to have more than 300% tired. Would the farm be slowed down by switching gear? Of course it would. But that would be rewarded by the increase in item finds.

Let’s take the hardest item to find: Tyraels Might. Let’s say it has 1:500,000 with 0%mf. If you have 300%, the odds increase to 1:200,000. If you increase your mf to 800%, ie MORE THAN DOUBLE WHAT YOU HAD, the odds go to 1:190,000 or so.

I think the odds should go up to 1:110,000 or even higher. The chances of finding the item will still be astronomical, but at least the player saw that his mf investment made a difference when he had 300% mf.