Diablo Clone event needs to be updated

I’ve been a part of over 10 Dclone walks in D2R so far.

1. It’s still IP-based
  2. Walkers need to use third party tools to check their connected game IP, the game doesn’t show your IP
  3. You also benefit from using firewall rules to try to force yourself onto hot IP blocks. You want the client to give you connection errors so it’s faster to try for games.
  4. The only strategy after that is to just keep remaking games until you hit the hot IP. And more than 500+ people for some walks are trying to hit the IP.
  5. Even though the game is split into regions (Americas, EU, Asia), there are actually hidden sub-regions that you connect to based on ping, like western or eastern Americas server groups. This makes some walkers just very bad at connecting to the target IP even if they are coordinating with each other. These players make new games for hours to try to get in.
  6. During this search process, you don’t even really play the game. Your skill isn’t tested. Your character build isn’t used. You make/quit new games in the lobby for 3+ hours.

Essentially, the event encourages us to DDoS the D2R servers. This isn’t good design. It’s archaic and overly technical. D2R needs to change how spawning Diablo Clone works. We’re actively making the server issues worse.

The original implementation of the event was targeted at cleaning up the massive amount of duped SoJs in legacy D2. We don’t currently have that problem.

Some suggestions on how to modernize it:

1. Make it like single player, 1 SoJ → 1 Dclone in your individual Bnet game
  2. Make it smaller but still co-operative, players need to sell 8 SoJs in a single game and then perhaps Dclone drops up to X number of charms depending on player count.
  3. Change the event to selling 1000 unique rings and make it spawn Dclone region-wide
  4. Make it a series of challenging cube recipes and fights like Ubers to receive 1 charm

Just something other than IP-based spawning, please.

116 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with how it needs to be spawned, but I completely agree that it shouldn’t be IP based and it needs a new mechanic in some way. Having to use a 3rd party program and/or block IPs with a firewall outside of the game takes away playing the game. There needs to be some way to do all of this in game without ever needing to use anything but the game.

Needing to use sojs when the major reason for that back on classic D2 was because people mass duped them is seriously baffling to me they kept that as the popping method, then add this on top of the fact that the whole issue the servers are having is people trying to make fast games to ip hop/MF it’s almost like they shot themselves in the foot keeping it this way and the fact that they didn’t plan for people making as many games as they are for pindle or mf run after mf run is laughable and upsetting.

5 Likes

Replace SOJs with Hel Runes and up it to 10000. That should be all that is needed. I do not think 10000 Hel Runes will make it too common, but will make it common enough that people will not need to resort to 3rd party programs/firewall rules.

simply just make it work like how single player works, I mean imagine having 500 people spamming game searching for hot ip. and boy u wonder how they get server overload. the way multiplayer spawning dclone r simply dated and need to be updated to better address the current need.

5 Likes

It’s been mentioned multiple times already, especially during beta, they don’t seems to care…

5 Likes

I don’t think that is the proper solution. However, A system where you need a SoJ and Torch (from Ubers) to have an RNG chance of him spawning could be a option. I would also like a requirement to have a tracker where it says you killed them so you can’t just acquire a Torch from another player to get DClone to spawn. This means you need to have effort put into the game reaching this point but it doesn’t become a mindless task. Just have both in your inventory (on character) to spawn DClone.

1 - Make the sell item standard of heroes

2 - Make it a global event

3 - jack up the sell number to keep the event uncommon (I’m talking tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands needed)

7 Likes

That’s a great idea actually.

4 Likes

Could partly explain why the servers have only been getting worse as people progress

2 Likes

Solo version:
I’d love if the Standard of Hero had a lowered drop chance (Say 1/100 or less) - and then by cubing/selling it you will spawn a Dclone in your personal game.

Group version:
Just make it truly a global/region event but with a much higher requirement. It will hype all players at the same time and madness is ensured when that 1000 SoJ sold trigger is hit (or whatever the new variable target will be).

1 Like

100% agree, the current dclone spawning method is ridiculous for multiplayer. I’d love it if it was just region wide.

1 Like

OP is 100% correct. There is no argument. It’s honestly shocking that Blizzard hasn’t responded to this issue. Just another example of devs being completely out of touch with players.

Ongoing server issues - nerf Pindle farming rather than fixing the 1000+ players trying to subvert game mechanics with 3rd party software. Genius.

666 SOJs and it spawns worldwide on every server. :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

The current Dclone mechanic is absolute trash. It’s anti-fun and requires the coordination of dozens of people to get on the same server with third party apps to see the game IP. Even something like selling 5 Soj in your own game to spawn him would be more realistic.

5 Likes

They probably kept that part of game untouched because who likes to prod 20 year old legacy code and risk the whole thing falling to pieces? I mean, look at what they’re attempting to do with the games list service right now, and the fubar state of affairs with their legacy database architecture.

If the IP thing is still unmastered, we got problems.

Most online mods have changed how Dclone works….

2 Likes

buuuuuuuuuuuuuump. I’m all about the items being hard to obtain in this game, but this system is horrible for the reasons in OP’s post.

Edit: +1 on either the standard of heros or any unique ring ideas making it either a global spawn or region wide

2 Likes

I say make it based on gold value of all items sold rather than requiring any specific items (ie once X amount of gold worth of items are vendored DClone spawns), and make it regional.

Best solution ever.
Why not? The item is rare enough.

2 Likes