D2R : what first offline character should I make?

Hi everyone!

As title says, I was wondering what should be my first offline character to start with?

I’m a veteran D2 player ( almost completed a holy grail in the good old plugy days ) but I’m fairly new to D2R ( made myself a sorc to try out the online ladder stuff, will go give all her stuff when I’ll hop on the offline side ). I know sorc would be the ‘‘best’’ but i want to try out new stuff but still be decently efficient so I came here to ask you guys! I was thinking maybe a barb or an assassin because i never tried them and heard they were quite good but I’m really open to suggestion for a character that will be good at MFing with budget/easy to get stuff and still be able to complete hell fairly easily so I can get access to terror zone.
Thanks in advance everyone and good luck on the grind!

P.S. : Any ideas why I can’t post in the D2R reddit?

Any sorc could be good. A hork barb as well. Probably something that is good at TZ’s like hdin is nice as well because then you get sunders. It really is up to you especially in offline mode because you have to do it all. Sins are better now that traps work with facets or you could go mosaic.

I recently made a Immortal King’s Whirlwind Barbarian and I’m really happy with it. You won’t be getting any Clear-Speed Records any time soon, but it really lives up to it’s name. You are so incredibly tanky that grinding is just really comfortable - Can just sit back and turn off my brain. It helps that with the exception of the Chest, the Set isn’t that rare.

Poison Necro is a lot of fun too.

1 Like

I made this guy 2 ladder seasons ago, liked him so much, I saved him NL … you’re right not too fast, but very tanky … I actually enjoy playing him.

1 Like

I don’t recommend barb. You won’t kill hell Baal. You won’t find ik items.

People don’t know how hard it is to find items.

Sorc or Necro are the easiest to start with.

Excuse me? Why would you not kill hell baal on a barb?

Because it’s single player and there’s nobody to carry you and no way to get items.

I would arguee paladin is easier than Sorc, Necro is easiest by far though.

Lmao… Right. As if barb isn’t capable of carrying his own weight in hell.

All you need to kill baal in hell is 1 black made in flail, rhyme and blood craft gloves, 1 point in ww. Not saying you will pull any records regarding speed.

I tried it. Black and rhyme does not cut it at all.

Where do you get stuck? Ancients? Throne room? Baal himself?

Single player I beat the game with every character except barb who got stuck in a2 hell. It is brutally slow. If I recall I used black, rhyme, smoke, rare barb helm, Saigon belt and boots, laying of hands, and idk what jewelry.

If there’s nobody to carry you or give you items, ain’t no way you are clearing hell.

1 Like

Every character can clear hell naked, you are talking nonsense.

Naked amazon who lets her valk and merc do all the killing - sounds like fun. Would that actually be doable?

A Singer should be able to handle Hell …

The valk gets crazy strong when you put lot of points into it so it should be doable, probably very tedious.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the shared tabs work in single player right? So nowadays you could get your barb past I think. Also, could you not have sort of by-passed most of the act? Though then again melee in general sounds awful for a solo play through.

Assassin is very fast with early Burst of Speed. It is very powerful with Fire Blast and then Wake of Fire in the early game. Only requires a Leaf runeword to make short work of anything through nightmare and can pick up death trap a little later for a second element for stubborn mobs. Transitions easily to Lightning trap, using a Spirit and a Ancient’s pledge (until you can wear Monarch Spirit) w/ Death trap to take care of immunes. Has a least two very good end game builds that work fine on the cheap but can go ballistic with good gear. Can use Fade to fill in any gaps in resistance.

I just made one on ladder and it was extremely quick to get to Larzuk quest. So much so that I played it right on thru the whole game. Was a breeze. Not a good MFer as Mosiac though. Don’t really have time to look at loot. But will clear anything for the cost of a Lem, 2 Guls, and 2 Mals for a Treachery and Two Mosaics. That’s all you need to kill anything until you can get Enigma and a few other high end items. Traps would be better for MF but to be really good you’re gonna need Griffon’s and Infinity, but you’d need on Sorc or Zon, too, likely.

Without the comfort of group play and trading, I’d still always go Sorc. Teleport will enable you to get everywhere fast without hitting the „out of gold“ dilemma for Staff Charges.

Blizzard & Firewall should suffice until you get a sunder and decide your final Specc.

Second choice is Paladin, as blessed Hammer is probably still the best Specc in the game and double spirit easily attainable (basis with more than 20@ dropping as early as normal cows). With insight on an act 1 or act 2 Merc you are basically ready for endgame once you hit act 2 nightmare.

In the end you should pick whatever you want to play, as any character can beat the game - the only question is how efficient you want to be.

You’re playing NAKED, remember. So no plus skill itamz on you. And you haven’t gotten Anni or Torch yet either. And +skill GCs are very unlikely.