D2R total system freeze--same problem with two totally different MB/CPU/SSDs with Win11

Not sure what the issue might be, but indicators it is D2R software locking up. D2R software bought from BNet online store.

What happens each time (happens infrequently, but only with D2R):

Playing game (any difficulty, any char, any act) and my system does a total freeze. Screen freezes. Keyboard, mouse, and cntrl+alt+del do not work, can’t alt-TAB (all are not responsive). Only thing that works is the reset button on the system box. I mostly play in private games to avoid spammers, etc. That is when the problem happens.

NOW for the interesting part.

When the above problems were encountered, I was running an i7-10700 CPU (10th Gen) on an appropriate MB with 1TB SSD and 32GB memory (2 x 16GB). The SSD was having temp issues (no cooler on it–as bought complete new store-brand system from Micro Center in 2021). So three years old and should be ok. Anyway, wanted to replace the SSD because it was causing total system shutdown when it hit 50C - 52C. Got a tech to clone the SSD (he removed SSD from system to copy it) and put a cooler on the new SSD (WD Black 1TB, 4th Gen SSD). The M2 slot was no longer visible to the motherboard (don’t ask why) when any SSD would be tried. M2 slot not seen in BIOS (bad MB or M2 slot?). Yet system would boot and run from HDD (and not see M2 slot or SSD). Anyway, gave up on the 10700 and bought new MB/CPU. i7-13700k CPU on new 13th Gen MSI motherboard. Has two M2 slots. Used new SSD in first M2 slot and old SSD (with new cooler installed on it) in second M2 slot–just in case I need to dup the new SSD for some reason. I got the 13th Gen because I could use the memory I already had and no one can find anything wrong with it. Also replaced the two 120mm original case fans with server fans, as the originals were not spinning well. System box runs 24/7 and is connected to a UPS (whole building also has an auto-start generator if power goes out).

New SSD runs in the 39C - 41C range except when playing D2R. Then it is 44 - 50C (room is warm year 'round, so all drives do not cool down as far as desired, but the 7200 rpm HGST drives are upper 30s C and the 5400/5900 rpm Seagate drives are in the low 30C range. Old/unused SSD is 28C in the second M2 slot.

I get the same lockup problem with both setups. So, IMO, the problem is not in my hardware. Problem with Win 11? Can’t say, as my installed version is up-to-date. I see there is at least one or two other (almost identical) problem posts from Jan and May 2022.

I’ve been running Win 11 since release, I’ve had no problems running D2:R.

Specs:
ASRock X570 Extreme 4 motherboard
Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
16GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 1080Ti, upgraded to a RTX 4070Ti
1TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 NVMe SSD

System is solid as a rock.

Intel chips run too hot… I know Intel claims it’s OK, but my instinct from 25 years experience working with computers says otherwise. I think they say it’s OK because they want you to keep buying them. They’re repeating the same problem they had with their Pentium 4’s… They just kept pumping more power into them to make them go faster. Planned obsolescence.

Question: How old is your power supply?

1 Like

Three years old (original from Micro Center). It was checked and no issues.

My video is AMD RX Radeon XT, which came with the original system.

System runs in a full-tower case with not a lot in it. MB/CPU/HS+fan/memory, SSDs, and one 4TB Seagate HDD (kept in case I need to copy/backup something internally for some reason. Otherwise not used).

Can’t comment on Intel heat problems. I was “in the business” from 1980-2000 and was the computer company’s rep/contact to Intel and MS. Retired in 2001 or so. We always made sure there was good cooling on all CPUs and had very few overheat (unless CPU cooler/fan failed–pretty rare). I built servers for ISPs in the area in the second half of the 1990s. High reliability systems, yet the ISPs always wanted three identical machines (two in-tandem online, one ready to swap in/out on a moment’s notice). Standard ISP test was 1000 kernel builds to test any new system.

Well something is causing the Windows kernel to also freeze when D2:R crashes… The Windows kernel would otherwise be able to close D2:R, or any program that faults.

That tells me there is some underlying hardware issue going on. Sometimes hardware issues can be so subtle that specific scenarios are required to reproduce the problem.

If I were to put my thumb on anything given the description of the problem, I’d guess system memory.

I have the same problem, I have an Samsung nvme drive for my main drive and and Samsung EVO SSD for my games and both runs at low temps. My RX 6600 is maxed at 60 FPS (since my monitor is a 60 hz ccreen) and its only running at about 40% and my rx 6600 is running at 45% ish with a 40c temp, my max evo which diablo is on is 15-19% temp cause this game doesnt take a lot and Im still lagging and Im running a 650w CX650M Corsair PSU.To TheDarkJedi…long time no see or talk…but Im running to the same problem. and my cpu is a 11400 and it runs pretty quite about 50c

That was also my next guess. It is the only hardware not replaced. Not MB or CPU as both replaced. Can’t see how the PS would cause problem unless software caused something–but what?

Need to find good memory testing software. Not sure if Sandra works on Win11.

If you have an old flashdrive laying around, use it to create a bootable memtest stick. Boot from it, let it run the full 4 passes. Typically 1 pass with 16GB of RAM takes about 1 to 2 hours, depending on the speed of your RAM.

If you see ANY errors at all, that is a doorway to problems.

1 Like

What is your memory? Brand, type, one or two pair, etc. Need to see what I have.

maybe man, Im running 16 gigs of ddr4 3600 but intel processors dont usually take a massive hit unless your running 2400mhz memory, which please correct me but I think thats the slowest memory for ddr4.

My Ryzen based system runs terrific …

Your problem is you’re running Intel and now you play a game owned by MS.

I feel for you …

My old MB was DD3 (3 yr old MB). New MB will get Crucial DDR4 3200 (2 x 16GB). $80 direct from Crucial. Will see if it makes a difference. 4-8 days for delivery.

Aging capacitors don’t store as much electrical charge as they do when they’re brand new, which can lead to system instability problems. When a capacitor is used in a bridge rectified AC to DC power conversion, it results in a (mostly) flat DC voltage on an oscilloscope. Without a capacitor, a bridge rectified AC to DC conversion looks more like a serrated knife edge. As the capacitor ages, the flat line becomes more like the serrated edge, which can wreck havoc on sensitive electronics.

1 Like

lol I have windows 95/98 computers that work just fine

If you have a power supply that was double the maximum power draw of the system components under max load, and as long as the power supply was built using quality capacitors, it will last a long time. Power supplies back then were not very efficient, and their best efficiency was typically around half of their maximum power rating, which is why systems back then usually had a power supply which had a maximum power output of roughly double of what the system could draw under max load.

Also, time isn’t what really “ages” a capacitor… It’s usage, how hard the capacitor has been used and what the ambient temperature is during operation.

A Pentium 60 drew a max of about 15 watts of power. By comparison, Intel CPUs today can spike up to 400 watts of power.

IMO, it is the memory. Won’t know until swap it over. But only two common factors between my old and new sytems: Same memory, video card, and case. Video card lockup will not lock up the system. Case is irrelevant. PS shows no problem(s) plus I would know if the PS was dropping out. It did not, as other stuff still had power when the problem occurred (multiple times). Memory problems can lock a system up completely and require a reboot. That is what happens if ECC memory can’t fix an error–it locks up the system completely. I am not using ECC memory because it is no longer recommended for systems.

13th and 14th gen are known to have degradation failures that do not happen immediately, but due to the degradation process, it fails over time.

Just going to say this.

Video card lockup COULD lock up the system.
PS doesn’t have to show problems, and I’m not sure what your setup requires, but there can be power issues that allow the machine to function, but when attempting to use hardware at it’s maximum capability will cause issues.

Memory issues also could be an issue.

The guys at Tom’s Hardware are pretty good at helping people with these types of situations if you’re still having an issue with the new memory. You’re currently throwing darts and hoping something hits and they might be able to help you narrow it down with better crash report analysis.

One thing worth mentioning that you can try the next time your screen freezes…

Hit numlock or capslock on your keyboard.

If the light indication for them changes, that means your core system (CPU/mobo/RAM) is still running, but since your video is frozen, that would point towards a potential problem with your GPU.

If the numlock/capslock indicators do not change, that means your system is hard locked, and would point towards a potential problem with the core system.

2 Likes

Another consideration … D2 base runs off of old software architecture … it consumes more than needed resources, even with a modern computer …

Try running “clean”, as in a clean environment … w/o a bunch of software running in the background … open task manager and pause/stop things not needed to play the game … especially important with intel and windows products … they consume & consume resources …

Also, turn off any and all 3rd party game related software [IF you are running it] … and try to run one copy at a time … D2R multiple copies will brick your computer … something else that you cannot affect is the bnet spyware that comes online whenever you run the game … it’ll eat resources as well …

As such, intel 13th & 14th gen are known to have degradation and ultimately failures that only come in time …

Graphically … try disabling your gpu and running the integrated graphics to see if there is a difference … it could be a card issue …

make sure the memory controller and the ram you are using are compatible as well … just do a little research online … intel is notorious to try to force you to use certain products through software/hardware design …

Make sure you have latest drivers for cpu/gpu/chipset, memory, etc … if have the latest and still have issues, a long shot, try backing down a generation of updates one at a time per piece of hardware and see if maybe a driver could be the issue … sometimes new drivers cause more problems in themselves, especially beta drivers … this can be a laborious process, but, if ya wanna play badly enough … is something to consider trying if all else fails …

Just some additional thoughts …

My PSU is only 500 watts but its 80+ gold and I have no other problems with games.I actually took the voltage down on my video card and locked it at 60 fps since my monitor is 60 hz.It pulls like 45 to 60 watts on load which is like 45% and my cpu is only doing 29% so it cant be my card drawing too much power or my cpu being locked at 60 fps.I dunno I stopped playing like months ago and went on for fun and it just runs bad.It wasnt like this before.I have an 11th gen intel cpu its the 11400 i5.not high end but for this game shouldnt matter