D2R total system freeze--same problem with two totally different MB/CPU/SSDs with Win11

Just had another lockup. Just sitting at the Desktop, no games running. So not D2R issue.

All three lock LEDs *(Caps, Num, Scroll) turn on/off when those keys hit while locked up. Interestingly, was able to C+A+D (due to not having D2R running?) and get to taskmanager. Could not identify any software/hardware issues by looking at that list.

Sounds like you have narrowed the issue down to a problem with your graphics card.

• If itā€™s been a while, update the graphics drivers.
  • If itā€™s been a while, blow out the dust from your PC case.
  • Sometimes the removal, cleaning and reinstalling of system components can solve intermittent connection issues that can be caused by thermal expansion/contraction. Use a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol and wipe the contact pads on the PCI-Express connector on your graphics card. Blow the PCI-Express port out with compressed air or duster to make sure there isnā€™t any dust in it. (Donā€™t blow it out with your mouth, as unseen saliva spray can cause further problems.)
  • Try setting a FPS target limit to 60FPS in the game.
1 Like

Agreed. Try to run integrated graphics and disconnect graphics card and see if happens again.

Dust can very well be conductive, a build up can cause issues.

Any bent pins on cpu? Any paste in the pins?

Do you have any ā€œextraā€ hardware or access to some??? Maybe try a few swaps?? Like ram, graphics card, cpu?

Any Ledā€™s lit up on the MB?

Drivers are current per AMD, just checked using AMD software.

New mb/CPU/HS+fan installed a week ago, so not likely dust. I also run a good air cleaner (not HEPA) 24/7 in the room and get some dust, not a lot.

New memory in transit.

Will wait on FPS limitation for now. Will see if memory change has effect.

I have a number of cans of canned air (MicroCenter), as that is what I use to clear bits of dust and debris from my keyboard and table top.

System is in a full tower case sitting in a mini-shelf/open framework (top/bottom/4 posts) on wheels. Computer is ~4" above the floor. I can roll it out whenever it needs to be accessed (rear or glass side). LEDs turned off, so no light shows. I use 6ā€™-10ā€™ extra-long cables to keep it all connected when it is rolled out from under the desk. Just ordered TB4 cables (6.6 ft long) to connect the two USB C ports on the back of the new motherboard. I just got a new USB 3.2 (10gb) hub (sits on table top), which will allow faster transfers from the system C drive to the backup drives (3 so far, in 3 separate USB cases running on a separate UPSā€“just in case). Will buy another hub soon and upgrade the old USB 3 (480mb/sec) to the new 10gb/sec transfer speed(s). Will use one old hub on table top to connect older/slower USB devices to the computer.

Somewhat of an old post, but it could be relevant hereā€¦ People have been reporting their cards randomly losing display output in a few games, which requires a restart. Perhaps D2:R is also affected, but maybe not enough for AMD to be aware of the issue.

One user reported turning off Freesync fixed the issue for him.

Iā€™m running a similar setup as yours, Iā€™ve had zero issues. Hours and hours of play never one single crash or lockup.

Iā€™m running a 13th Gen i5 on a MSI motherboard with a RX 6650 XT. 32 gigs ram.

I do believe what your talking about is a hardware issue. Since you have replaced almost everything, finish the job and replace the rest.

I have seen power supplies do this kind of thing before. Very annoying. Get a new half way decent bronze or gold rated power supply.

If you still have the problem, replace the ram.

BTW, before I upgraded, I was running this on an ancient i3 with 8 gigs of ram and an old GTX 1150ti - and it was rock stable. Albeit very slow to load.

I guess, I should mention, I have always run windows 10. Windows 11 suxor.

could be related to the recent global network issue. i found d2r very prone to freeze when network is not very stable. the netcode is bad i think.

Canā€™t say what happened, but I turned on the monitor this morning (24 April) and the system was frozen again. After reboot, there was an update and a CUP (Cumulative Update Preview) to download and install. So probably not a power supply problem (monitor off means nothing for the video card to output, so no power draw on power supply).

Did you try disabling Freesync?

I recently had an issue with the screen freezing on my work system, it would result in my system hardlocking, completely frozenā€¦ Numlock/Capslock wouldnā€™t respond. However I do use my work system regularly to test other hardware.

I can only guess it was a poor connection with the graphics card in the PCI-Express slot, because after swabbing the PCI-e connector on the card with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, as well as taking a thin piece of cardboard moistened with rubbing alcohol and repeatedly inserting and removing it in the PCI-e slot in order to clean the pins, the problem went away.

Oils on your fingers can cause microscopic specks of dust to adhere to whatever it is on, so an accidental touch of the PCI-e connector could have resulted in a speck of dust sticking to it. Thermal expansion and contraction can cause specs of dust to ā€œrollā€ in between the contact pin and pad, cutting the connection.

Found Freesync in AMD controls. To right of Freesyn is ā€œNot supportedā€. So, not that.

Framerate max is 60, and it is running just under that framerate (59.xx).

does it crash randomly or is it bound to certain events like killing shenk (whole screen full of effects) an Assa unleashing 1000chrages in less than a second or similar things?

For gaming, I run:
B550 Aorus Elite mb
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core Processor @ 3.7ghz
32gb ram
1x 1tb ssd
1x 2tb ssd
1x4tb ssd
NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super

Win 11 Pro
64 bit

ā€¦ the only issues I have is if I join a game made by someone from EU or that other foreign region ā€¦ then my ping jumps ā€¦ typically I range from 31-75 ping, with occasional jumps to 94 ā€¦ my fps is typically 60-75

Not tied to D2 or any other particular event that is obvious. The system will lock up when not playing D2 (just happened last night, for example). Turned on monitor in the morning (turn it off at night) and system was locked up. I leave the system on all night, just turn off the monitor (it is not a dim monitor so the light can be seen under the door). No updates ran overnight, so not that either. Downloaded and installed updates after reboot. AMD Freesync is not compatible with either the AMD video card or the monitor, so it is disabled (says ā€œnot compatibleā€ and no option to turn on/off).

does it happen only in D2R?

or do you have some stability issues overall?
if so deactivate XMP (or AMD equivalent)
look at your mainboards manufacturer website it might be that you RAM is not compatible with your Mobo.

i have sometimes crashes when too many effects take place on the screen, adjusting ingame settings improved that.

Was not playing overnight (exited Bnet completely), so not related to that.