D2R not responding

After a very succesful week of gaming, without changing absolutely anything in software/hardware, the game suddenly stopped loading. I click play and nothing happens and pc is working weird, even ctrl alt del is not working and the d2r window is not responding. I didnt change anything in the pc it is out of nowhere. I am writing here because I did every one thing that I found in google search about similar issue, from reinstaling battle net and d2r, installing new drivers, through scan and repair to firewall settting and a lot more in between. I am hopeless and d2r will not start , and pc is half freezed I have to reset it everytime. I beg for help. I run d2r as administrator, I deleted ptr files, I performed a clean boot, even fully updated my windows 10. Diablo 3 in battle net app works perfectly, other games too. it’s just D2R issue. I even changed to secondary disc (both had a lot of space). I reinstalled d2r 3 times and restarted my pc 30 times while trying different things. Nothing.

1 Like

You aren’t the only one. I got home from work and wanted to play some D2R before dinner and I can’t launch the game. It acts as if it is going to load and then hangs, the screen goes black as if loading, and then the Icon for the game pops up in the taskbar and continues to hang as if its loading. Unable to ctrl+alt+del, and forcing a reboot via the pc (not through windows). All drivers updated, virus and malware scans negative, firewall is fine, other games launch perfectly fine.

Edit: The game has been working just fine the last few days.

Edit 2: So I opened Task Manager and launched D2R, I noticed that the issue started again and this time I saw that there are 2 versions of D2R. One with 0% usage and 98.8mb Ram usage. And the second one 3.7% CPU usage and 98.8mb of Ram usage. I am unable to stop either process. When I right click on either process I get the error message “The operation could not be completed.” “The operation is not valid for this process”. Something is definitely wrong with the game. I have also uninstalled the game and reinstalled it as well as did a scan and repair on the game.

I have exactly the same problem. Was playing couple of hours and went for a brake. I try to launch game after brake and nothing happens, after couple of seconds black window appear and says diablo is not responding. Whole system hangs, can’t access task bar and cannot restart/shut down windows from start, only with the button.
There was no changes to system, I didn’t do nothing at all. Tried to uninstall the game and battle.net, installed latest nvidia drivers but nothing helps.

I’m also suddenly having this issue. D2R won’t load, can’t launch any other programs, can’t launch Task Manager, can’t restart or shut down from the task bar.

Other games work fine. Diablo 3 works fine. It’s just D2R.

I had a pending Windows update and Nvidia driver update, so I did both of those. Still the same, something is very wrong with D2R. :frowning:

12h later nothing changed. I’m out of options from my side apart from full windows reinstall which would be painful atm.

Exactly same issue here. Trying to launch the game, it takes like a minute for the D2R window to open and then it goes immediately in “not responding” mode and whole computer starts to lag / freeze. Did the latest Windows 11 update and Nvidia geforce drivers yesterday, D2R haven’t launched since then but not sure if related. I’ve deleted all battle.net temp files, tried scanning and repairing, deleted D2R settings files, basically everything I could think off.

Same issue here. Started out of nowhere this morning.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting these sudden issues launching the game. This delayed and/or non-responsive behavior is commonly caused by outdated antivirus software, so be sure that you’ve fully updated any antivirus programs you’re running alongside the game – otherwise it might block it due to the new client build changing. If that doesn’t work, uninstall the antivirus program temporarily, reboot your computer, and then retest.

Note: Some security programs may be difficult to uninstall. ESET maintains a comprehensive list of common antivirus uninstallation tools on their website.

So you want us to uninstall antivirus so your application to work? Isn’t it that you should fix your code to work with anti virus software and not make it appear like your software is a malware or virus so the anti virus application will prevent it from running?

1 Like

I very highly doubt that this is the issue and here is why. (1) I just updated my antivirus and the issue persists even after a reboot after the AV update. (2) I also made sure that there were exceptions made through my AV for D2R and it’s launcher, and Battlenet for funsies and the issue persists. (3) I highly doubt everyone here is using the same AV. (4) No other game be it from Blizzard or on Steam or Uplay etc has this same issue. Therefore this issue is undoubtedly on Blizzards end and we need more information.

Edit: I just brought Task Manager up before launching the game and as soon as D2R came up it immediately crashed and froze with no error. Also as of 7:11PM EST on 3/15/2023 111 people have viewed this post so it can’t just be the few of us. It will start happening to others I’m sure.

Edit 3: So it seems like something about D2R is triggering AV’s to block the game. Last night I re-added D2R to my AV firewall and I still couldn’t play even after updating I couldn’t play. So in short, I updated my AV today, still was not able to play. Re-added permissions that I had already had set after the update and now I can play. Something about D2R made my AV force block the game. You should never tell your customers to uninstall their AV to be able to play a video game.

2 Likes

Yes…It’s BS that the solution to this issue is to uninstall AV on your machine. You would think you would fix code that’s causing the block? Will there be a solution to fix this soon?

It is Not the AV
I unistalled it and doesnt work.
Every other game is able to launch
Only exception is d2r!
Pls fix the problem

Small update: game actually starts but after about 20 minutes of pc’s brain freeze which is ridiculous. I’m using free version of bit defender which was updated during the big scan when I was looking for cure for d2r. Together with firewall I made sure they have exceptions for both bn and d2r. I will try to turn off BD but atm I have d2r open so I keep it this way until forced to close it buy external sources. Thx for noticing I guess but it feels weird that all the other games in the world work just fine but for d2r our AV sucks.
Its important to mention that my AV didnt change a bit and everything was just fine for whole season 3 until now.

This isn’t from the AV programs. Until the last couple days, D2R was loading up nearly instantly. I ran AV updates, computer updates, reinstalled Bnet app and D2R to no avail. I can load up every other Blizz game instantly, tried 20+ Steam games, loaded them up instantly, Epic Launcher, GOG, EA Launcher, and GX, several games in each launcher–all loaded up perfectly, no issues whatsoever. I talked to a few friends from my FL, and theirs are all broken for them as well.

This is on YOUR end, not ours. Also, I am certainly not uninstalling my AV software, for any reason whatsoever, which has caused zero issues since like the early '00s. We’ll be waiting for the code fix, thanks.

[Edit: typos]

Can confirm: Uninstalled Bitdefender anti virus and D2R launches normally, no more hang ups or crashes.

It’s a shame but I rather live without AV than D2.

same here
no AV for me plz dont ddos me

It’s NOT BitDefender as I am able to now play with no issues and I have BD still installed. It’s D2R and Blizzards code that is causing the issue. I updated BD and set permissions via BD and it’s firewall and now I am able to play with no issues and BitDefender is still installed. Again it is NOT your AV.

To add, there are people reporting that they are uninstalling their AV and the game is still not launching. Also if you just add BD firewall permissions you can keep BD installed and still play the game which tells us that it isn’t the Anti Virus software.

BeerZerker - I appreciate your input and contributions to this thread. As technical support, we help with gathering information and troubleshooting, but we are not the developers. We assist with technical issues that can be resolved through troubleshooting and present workarounds if available. In your posts, you’ve indicated that updating Bitdefender followed by creating an exclusion or exception within Bitdefender’s firewall fixed the issue. This does in fact confirm that Bitdefender is the culprit in your case. If the source of the issue was isolated to the game’s code, everyone attempting to launch it would run into the same problem.

Please note that we can’t assist with troubleshooting third-party software such as Bitdefender, and so we’re left with suggesting that you fully update or temporarily remove it from the system as a potential workaround. The other option is to troubleshoot the antivirus software yourself (as you’ve mentioned doing) or work with that software vendor’s support for assistance.

Antivirus programs utilize “definitions” to determine what software is safe to run on your machine, and if a game updates to a new build, the antivirus might block it since it’s not on the safe list of definitions yet. That’s why updating the antivirus is recommended before temporarily removing it.

Just adding myself to the thread as I have the same issue and have tried just about everything described here to no avail. The game is dead for me. To technical support: Any additional suggestions outside of the AV suggestions would be welcome as disabling antivirus does nothing, nor does adding exceptions.

1 Like