D2R not responding

I had tried everything mentioned here, added battle net and d2r to exceptions on bit defender, windows defender firewall, reinstalled the game, scanned and repaired it and the game still do not work ! This is riddiculous, fix your game blizzard… Everything else on my pc works absolutely fine without any problems…

Same issue here. First noticed the problem on D2R - would just open a black screen and application would freeze at that point. I tried to launch Heroes of the Storm to see if it’s affecting anything else - that game will get to a black screen, cursor will change to the HotS cursor and hang as well.

Other processes will also hang/slow down while D2R is attempting to load. Chrome is able to open, but not load new tabs, Windows tools will take a while to load or make changes, etc. After D2R closes from Windows closing due to unresponsiveness or closing through Task Manager, everything goes back to normal.

All other games work fine - Steam games, D3, WoW, FF14

Windows Defender Firewall exceptions added for both games. Scanned/repaired/ran D2R.exe as admin/reinstalled D2R, same issue. All Bitdefender exceptions added for D2R, same issue.

I just noticed it today, was playing fine I think on 3/14.

The only major changes I can think of this week:
Windows 11 22H2 March CU on 3/15
Nvidia GPU drivers updated to 528.24 automatically by Windows on 3/13, though I did a clean update to 531.29 to see if it would fix this issue
Bitdefender update I think on 3/15 - I’m not going to uninstall to see if it will fix

I have this issue too. D2R hangs after launch. Bit Defender free version. I’ll try to uninstall but I’ve tried everything else with drivers, Battle.net reinstall etc and windows update to 11 even.

All steam games and Riot titles run fine. Just D4 and D2R (my only two bnet games) will not launch. I sent int my MSINFO and DXdiag to Tech support.

I uninstalled BitDefender completely and now D2 works just fine.

But this isn’t… ideal.

Been dealing with this issue all weekend. finally found this thread and have tried everything in it with the exception of completely un installing my anti virus (bit defender). what a joke. I am not going to compromise my computer to play a game. blizzard sucks.

2 Likes

I have a same issue. I press the launch button and game not responding. Reinstall Vcredist directx, updated driver, updated windows and nothing change. It started a couple days ago. Before this problem the game run perfect on my laptop. I also have BitDeffender av.

But if you wait 10 minutes (always 10 minutes) the game will start. I do not know why. When the game start the notebook fans spins up. Same as in the lobby. Before this bug or error the fans was quiet mainly in the lobby.

I also have this issue.

I use Bitdefender. I’m not really happy to remove my AV. I’ve added exceptions and still get the issue. I’ve also done all the other usual stuff.

Bit of an evening wasted.

All,

I came back to chime in again…so I can’t blame Blizzard on this one as it is Bit Defender…and its not just Diablo2. Bit Defender’s latest update on 3/9/2023 causes Diablo 2 to take 10 mins to load as another poster mentioned AND it causes Quicken to take 5 minutes to load instead of seconds. Unacceptable…removed Bit Defender and both applications work normally. Looking online apparently Bit Defender caused problems with other applications back in 2015-2016. I didn’t bother with additional details. Unfortunately I’m done with that antivirus as I need Quicken.

1 Like

Just adding myself here because I’m having the same issue. Tried all that’s said here and still the same. I also found out that if you wait long enough, the game eventually launches. I wait around 5-10 minutes for it to launch.

What’s weird is the moment I launch the game, my entire PC malfunctions, even reloading a chrome tab wouldn’t work until the game launches.

UPDATE: It’s Bitdefender. Reinstalled Bitdefender and uninstalled it again fixed the issue.

so the solution is to just get rid of bitdefender?

The solution would be for blizzard to contact bitdefender and report the problem to them.

Uninstalling AV isn’t meant to be the solution. It is meant to diagnose the source of the issue. If updating/adding exceptions doesn’t work, then temporarily uninstalling is a troubleshooting step to try to see if it changes the issue.

We have no say in how Bit Defender or any AV software interacts with our games/services. If you find an issue that occurs in relation to any program not provided by Blizzard (IE our Desktop Application and game clients) Then there are 2 things you should do.

First report the issue as a bug in the Blizzard bug report forum for the affected game/app. That will allow our QA teams to look into this further to see if we have anything we can do on our end to affect the issue.

Second, reach out to the makers of the 3rd party program to see if they are aware of the issue, if they have any solutions/work arounds for you or if it also needs to be reported to them via their own bug report process.

Now for anyone that hasn’t found a specific program to be the source of interference with the game. You can try the following:

First make sure you have all Windows updates. Manually check. If you find any. Install them, restart the system and recheck. Repeat until is says there are no more updates.

Then make sure your drivers are up to date. GPU, Audio, Network. Motherboard. Check from the hardware makers first, then as needed your system builder if this was a prebuilt.

Try running your system in selective startup mode: https://battle.net/support/article/200483

Create a new administrator account: Blizzard Support - Creating a New Administrator Account

Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile and try the app/client.

It’s not 100% going to catch every potential software conflict (especially for those that launch as a service) but it can help rule out a lot of misconfigured application or running applications that may be conflicting with the game.

If that doesn’t help then the next best step is to submit a ticket with your system files so one of our tech agents can dig through and see if they can find the cause. Click your name at the top right of this page, click support, then contact support.

How about no.

Mine almost always crashes when accessing either by mistake or intentions the options.

Mine crashes all the time, less than sixty seconds after starting actual gameplay.

Talk to Wariv, crash.

Talk to Akara, crash.

Talk to Gheed, crash.

Carsi, crash.

Everyone. All the time. Running around.

Nothing but crashes.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled BNET, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I’ve repaired the files, I’ve run as Admin, I’ve updated all drivers, Windows 10 is up to date, I have run my antivirus and made sure D2R is whitelisted.

I have done everything that has been recommended.

And it keeps on crashing.

Good money gone, four hours wasted.

Please Blizzard, throw us a bone here… Just fix the dang game, okay?

I don’t know what I’m missing on this end.

I’m having the same issue as OP but I don’t have bitdefender installed. I’ve allowed D2R through firewall, and restarted and reinstalled diablo, nvidia drivers, etc.

My specs are NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super and a Ryzen 7 3700x, and 64 GB of RAM.

Nothing seems to work.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.