Community Feedback for Improving Itemization

Diablo 2 is the perfect TEMPLATE for what could be a perfect ARPG.
Blizzard does not deserve to own the rights. They’ve just been milking the success of their predecessors for the last 20 years. The lack of passion from these hacks has their overwhelming failure to speak for it.

1 Like

Because buffing things like Griffons, CoA is absurd. Next thing you know we should buff rune words because only those uniques are used! Then buff uniques because runewords are used!

Respectfully disagree and your argument comes across as hyperbole. Here is my take. Most unique items are utter garbage and completely outclassed by runewords and deserve buffs. Griffons wasn’t buffed at all. For CoA, a unique bonus was added to reduce curse duration. If the community thinks this is not warranted, it can be removed…

Crown of Ages
Corona
Defense: 349-399
Required Level: 82
Required Strength: 174
+50% Enhanced Defense
+100-150 Defense
+1 To All Skills
Damage Reduced By 10-15%
All Resistances +20-30
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
Socketed (1-2)
Indestructible

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Curse Duration Reduced By 50%
1 Like

When it comes to uniques, I think what should happen is that a near perfect roll should be able to be BIS or compete with runewords.

So for items like Grandfather, that would be rolling 1- 3 sockets, ethereal, etc, so if someone gets max sockets/ethereal, then congrats, you found a BIS worthy unique, PogChamp!

I wish the devs would just start pushing the pedal down, and if they accidentally make a bad change (to an item lets say), then just revert or change it the next day. That was something they insinuated around launch time.

2 Likes

buffing set items bonuses must be done. They don’t have to be the best but closer to them. Buff them by wearing FULL SET is the easiest way for balance.

Aldur needs 35%FCR and M’avina needs a physical dmg buff.

I also like that you dont mention Tal Rasha set. Indeed Tal Rasha is perfectly fine.

Remove “barbarian only” at gorefoot. So everyone can use +2 leap. One step closer to teleport.

1 Like

That’s a good idea for Gorefoot and will add to the list. Actually, I need help with ideas on buffing normal unique helms, boots, belts, gloves, shields, etc., so please share your ideas here, and we can start the discussion.

A leaping Werebear and werewolf would be sick

2 Likes

Doom can be made in 2h hammers!

Great idea from Nero about Gorefoot…

Gorefoot
Heavy Boots
Defense: 20-21
Required Level: 9
Required Strength: 18
Durability: 14
+20-30% Enhanced Defense
20% Faster Run/Walk
2% Mana Stolen Per Hit
Attacker Takes Damage of 2
+12 Defense
+2 To Leap (Barbarian Only)

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add 10% Chance of Open Wounds
    • Change +2 To Leap (Barbarian Only) to +2 To Leap
1 Like

Thanks for adding the ed/min/max jewel bug here

1 Like

Of course! This should definitely be fixed as part of the improvements to itemization.

Love the whole idea in this topic! Hope only a fraction will come true. The items should be usable when compared with runewords and encourage people to ad more niche build. I would also recommend to nerf Enigma, Grief and Spirit just a bit (since they are a now brainer right now, even if melee is overall weak - you would buff the crap out of to many items).

Nevertheless I would welcome that changes would be made in steps (e.g. in one season only unique amors and swords, next crafting). To balance every singel change out within some weeks is nearly impossible even with a ptr in place.

Would love to add some ideas as well:

Templar’s Might
Sacred Armor
Defense: 1622-1923
Required Level: 74
Required Strength: 232
Durability: 60
+170-220% Enhanced Defense
+250-300 Defense vs. Missiles
+10-15 To Strength
+10-15 To Vitality
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+40-50 Maximum Stamina
+1-2 To Offensive Auras (Paladin Only)

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add Requirements -20%
    • Add Level 4-8 Might Aura When Equipped
    • Change Required Level from 74 to 69
    • Change +1-2 To Offensive Auras (Paladin Only) to +1 To All Skills

Love all changes, but would keep the Offensive Auras instead of +1 Skill (since this would stick to them paladin theme, like guardian angel). How about +2-4 Offensive Auras instead?
And would add another +5-10 to strength and vitality.

Would nerf Enigma* (since it would still make a lot of the changes to uniqes pointless):

A change in strength (would love that to be halved) would force a lot of chars to respec, how about:

reduce FRW 45>20
reduce 14 life after kill to 5
reduce MF by 50%
or instead of the above cap skills vom 2 to 1

Grief: Damage +340-400 reduced by 30 (new and old items)

Spirit: 2 Skills reduced to 1 Skill or remove Cold/Ligth Damage and reduce mana by 50%

Chains of Honor: In the same way I could see boost a bit.
change +70% Enhanced Defense > 150%-200% ED
add FRW +20
change replenish life from 7 to 15-25
add dex +15

Nerfing Enigma, Grief and Spirit by itself would increase build diversity greatly. But introducing new “ability” like “boost effectiveness of runes by 50% etc.” seems a lot of work to do (must be made in the old, underlying version as well if they would probably not let it go - I would have had no probs with loosing to original version in the background tho)
For that reasen simply add 2-3 OS for some uniques would not only boost those items, it would also “saves” some Lazurk-quests.

Keep the call for changes up my friends :slight_smile:

1 Like

As this thread is focused on buffing uniques, I purposely avoided the discussion around nerfing OP runewords. However, since you bring it up, here are my suggestions.

For Enigma, I think the developers could reduce the STR & MF bonus per level. The strength bonus on Enigma is superfluous and Enigma is one of the best MF options available and simply too good at getting loot…

Enigma
+2 To All Skills
+45% Faster Run/Walk
+1 To Teleport
+750-775 Defense
+0-74 To Strength (Based On Character Level)
Increase Maximum Life 5%
Damage Reduced By 8%
+14 Life After Each Kill
15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+1-99% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based On Character Level)

• Proposed Nerfs:
    • Change Strength from 0.75 Per Clvl to 0.25 Per Clvl
    • Change Magic Find from 1.00 Per Clvl to 0.50 Per Clvl

For Grief, I think the developers could widen the range for rolling the damage bonus to +200-400 (instead of 340-400). That’d be a fun start and force players to re-roll their Grief to get a near perfect roll…

Grief
35% To Cast Level 15 Venom On Striking
+30-40% Increased Attack Speed
Damage +340-400
Ignore Target’s Defense
-25% Target Defense
+1.875-185.625% Damage To Demons
Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
-20-25% To Enemy Poison Resist
+20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
+10-15 Life After Each Kill

• Proposed Nerfs:
    • Change Damage from +340-400 to +200-400

For Spirit, I think the best course of action is to make +skills variable from 1-2 and widen the range for FCR to +15-35%. This way, the chances of rolling a perfect Spirit +2 skills, 35% FCR are harder early on, so other items stay relevant for a longer time…

Spirit
+2 To All Skills
+25-35% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage
+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
+250 Defense Vs. Missile
+22 To Vitality
+89-112 To Mana
+3-8 Magic Absorb

• Proposed Nerfs:
    • Change All Skills from +2 to +1-2
    • Change FCR from +25-35% to +15-35%
1 Like

something went wrong with my posting.
i write again but with different words. spirit need a nerf in early- and midgame. Unchanged for Lategame. Just change the mana from +89-112 mana to +1,125 mana per level.

lvl25 = +28mana
lvl62 = +70mana
lvl85 = +95 mana
lvl99 = +111mana.

I also like to buff Lidless Wall with +2 skills.

2 Likes

I would definitely support that change…

Spirit
+2 To All Skills
+25-35% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage
+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
+250 Defense Vs. Missile
+22 To Vitality
+89-112 To Mana
+3-8 Magic Absorb

• Proposed Nerfs:
    • Change All Skills from +2 to +1-2
    • Change FCR from +25-35% to +15-35%
    • Change +89-112 To Mana to +1.125 Mana Per Clvl

Here’s my take on buffing Lidless Wall…

Lidless Wall
Grim Shield
Defense: 271-347
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 58
Durability: 70
+80-130% Enhanced Defense
+1 To All Skills
Increase Maximum Mana 10%
20% Faster Cast Rate
+3-5 To Mana After Each Kill
+10 To Energy
+1 To Light Radius

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Change All Skills from +1 to +1-2

just want melee buff, Sett buff,Blizzard nerf…seriously the skill is to powerful…CM is not the problem and never was …the skill alone is it. Charm inventory-
Frozen Orb buff…skill lvl 47 with Death Fanthom +35-5, Nightwings +20-5 and the skill still sucks in MP. SP dmg is good enough

Buff Frozen Bolt from 2% dmg to Orb to 4-5%
NO NEW SYNERGIE

NOT EVERYBODY want to play Blizzard…That problem exists for so many years…

With all those changes will this even be the same game? I doubt it.

All these changes are targeted to improve itemization only and would have minimal impact to core gameplay and mechanics. So yes, the game would be relatively unchanged. If anything, these changes would breathe new life into the item hunt while making trading more interesting. I think everyone would support buffing the rarest and most iconic items in the game- Tyrael’s Might, The Grandfather, Schaefer’s Hammer, Arkaine’s Valor, Mang Song’s Lesson to name a few.

2 Likes

i want my 1.08 items back … 1.08 Arc…gaze…harle…
Or ITH Stuff :smiley:

cough, never said this…

1 Like

Good idea für midgame but still leaves a decent Spirit as the obvious late game choice (make it roll stats will only influence this a bit). There is no question…you have to make spirit for a lot of build. If you would like to offer new (and valid) options, you would have to buff a lot of items and balancing is a lot of work. The lidless for example is the natural caster choice (with less str. req), but you allways want to run a spirit in late game (except for maybe an act 3 merc, which is still not relevant). Even if you add +2 skills, more fcr and maby mana after kill.

Agree?