Can we get an "official" Blue comment on the Cold Mastery change?

you could have killed some cold immunes this is much higher than needed for some even in hell.

it says cold immune because unlike with conviction or lower resist you aren’t debuffing the mob directly your spells just penetrate through the immunity if you have enough to lower it past 100%

because it’s not but a cold sorc with infinity might be able to match lightning on mobs that it can kill in hell idk i would need to test if they stack properly.

atm cold mastery removes immunity from a handful of mobs where as lightning sorc with infinity can kill almost all mobs in the game.

1 Like

Cold mastery is no where close to lightning with infinity due to monsters having much higher resistance to cold… Have you ever played Diablo 2 ? and most importantly have you tried a cold sorc in hell ? currently at 155 % and alot of monsters in hell are still imune … which is higher than infinity yet still can’t break due to monsters having higher cold.

2 Likes

i’m 160% and even with a skill shrine i can’t touch the act 3 vampires. so yeah nowhere near infinity lightning but i would be interested if we could get close with an infinity of our own would be a nice change from lightning being the only viable mono build in hell.

3 Likes

I’d like to see what a base level 20 Cold Mastery +12 skills form charm inventory, +2 from Nightwing’s Veil, +3 from Deaths Fathom, +2 from Spirit Shield, +1 from Arachnid’s Mesh, +2 from SoJ rings, +2 from Amulet looks like… A level 44 Cold Mastery! That reduces resistance by 235! Divide that by 5 and you get 47, meaning anything with less than 147 cold resistance will be broken by Cold Mastery alone!

would still be more cold immunes you can’t damage than lightning immunes with an infinity and significantly more expensive.

3 Likes

Oh yes good point!!! I forgot to factor Infinity into the equation… That’s an additional -17 resistance meaning anything with a cold resistance less than 164 will have it’s cold immunity stripped away!

And lets not forget a Lower Resistance wand… that’s another 6, 7 ,or 8, reduction to cold resistance against cold immune monsters meaning anything with less than up to 172 cold resist will have it’s immunity stripped!

I hope this is a bug and will be fixed.

good news than lightning and frost will have the same number of mobs they can’t deal damage too in hell i think this makes it work

well crap you broke it again with the wand lightning now does only 2 mobs where cold has 4 it can’t damage

but cold slows down monsters and Blizzard is a fire and forget skill which the lightning sorce does not have. Also a cold sorce can freeze an entire mob in place.

cold slows monsters for less than a second when they are immune they don’t even really move any less just turn blue for a frame or 2 and they can’t be frozen.

where does this leave fire sorceress?

so your argument is cold sorcs shouldn’t be able to compete with lightning because than fire would feel left out?

2 Likes

So you want the cold sorc to be useless again and lightning to be the only solo build yet again for the next 20 years ? We already played 20 years of Hdin and Light sorc … would be fun to had a few news build don’t you think ?

3 Likes

it’s the only thing we can do he has a rock solid argument there with the fire build feeling left out if cold can compete with lightning…

That’s one variable yes and the dual tree sorceress builds probably have a similar axe to grind. Never mind every other class in the game getting left behind.

Edit: it’s not a feeling it’s a fact that the fire sorce would fall out of favour.

1 Like

You’re right we shouldn’t hope that people could make sorcs other than lightning to be efficient in hell that would be insane.

lol that’s implying that anything but lightning is in favor atm which just isn’t true if you want to do anything besides meph/andy you are lightning.

3 Likes

Now you’re putting words in my mouth. You just saw me advocate a fire sorceress.

no i saw you use fire as a scapegoat to keep lightning as the only viable spec, nice try though.

4 Likes

Game balance isn’t a scapegoat for this argument; I’m actually in favour of increasing lightning resistances in Hell on certain monsters. Finger mages in Chaos for instance shouldn’t be broken imo.

well if you want to balance it currently there are 42 types of mob with unbreakable cold immunity for a solo sorc, 13 fire, and 2 lightning so if you truly want it balanced for the 3 specs but don’t want cold to get any kind of buff you must be advocating for 29 fire mobs to get immunities raised and 40 lightning?

which would also kill trapsin and javazons so i guess you want hammer as the only thing left…

2 Likes