Bye-bye ethereal! Hello Dyes!

I don’t like the changes to this game that change the way it is played, but do you know what kind of changes I do like? Quality of life changes! Convenience changes! Things that take away the tediousness, or add to the customization features that don’t affect gameplay!

So, let’s talk about some ideas I had!

I want to start by addressing the title; I understand that it appears like click-bait, but what I really mean by it is: adding a feature that would allow us to use a cube recipe to turn an ethereal item into a non-ethereal item (however, not vise versa, as that would be potentially broken.) Why? Ever find your first Arachnid Mesh, Steelrends, or even Gore Riders, but they were ethereal and therefore useless? Well, this recipe would allow you to remove the ethereal-ness of them, and properly use them. These items are already rare as is, so having them come out ethereal can be heart-breaking. This obviously shouldn’t be free to do, so a rune requirement would be a good idea; my initial thought was a Zod, but… that’s harder to find than the items you probably want to do this with. A Hel rune and maybe something like a jewel and a gem would be preferable.

Dyes! Armor dyes! Why this hasn’t been implemented yet is a CRIME! Hear me out: we use potions for dyeing items a specific color; not gems. My first inclination was gems, but specific potion types would actually be easier to implement since their colors are more varied. Simply dragging and dropping the potion type onto the armor or weapon could change its color, or, cubing them together could work as well (the drag and drop feature feels better to me). Here would be the color(s) and their associated potions:

Healing Potion (any quality) = Red
Healing Potion (any quality) on an already red item = Dark Red
Mana Potion (any quality) = Blue
Mana Potion on an already blue item = Dark Blue
Stamina Potion = White
Stamina Potion on an already white item: Glowy White (like Headstriker)
Antidote = Gray
Antidote on an already gray item = Black
Rejuvenation Potion (any quality) = Purple
Strangling Gas Potion = Green
Fulminating Potion = Orange
Thawing Potion = Yellow (or Light Gold)
Thawing Potion on an already Light Gold item = Dark Gold

11 Likes

I like your positivity, its infectious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. I would also like to have some colouring on armors/weapons I wear.

2 Likes

I cannot imagine D2 without nearly every player running around in a green showercap or purple cow suit… Nice ideas though :+1:… Certainly needs to be a toggleable feature, as players need to be able to identify what equipment you are using…

5 Likes

no way.

1. they are not useless, they have limited usefulness - until they break. On a caster character it can be quite a long time. I remeber having used Eth War Traveles for a couple of months. Found non eth during that time

2. In essence this is just another “buff drops” which should not happen. Found Eth Shako? Tough luck man. Use it for a bit and then swap back to tarnhelm

1 Like

Every post you make, makes me think more and more, to lean towards addressing you as a troll.

You need to stop criticizing someone for their posts. If you don’t like it, move on. This is a feedback channel; you don’t need to put your opinions on everyone else’s.

Also, I don’t get how any of this would define someone as a troll. Projecting, maybe?

General idea of dyes is good, but I think there is an opportunity for a more fun and in depth system that requires more “cost” from the player. Not sure what Ethereal has to do with it, but anyway.

Make dyes based off of gems.

perfect ruby + potion = pink dye

ruby + potion = red dye

perfect ruby + potion = dark red dye

perfect ruby + perfect topaz = orange dye

I think gems should be the main ingredient/cost of making dyes, and the tier of gem could dictate the shade of the color. You could also combine colors to make different colors, such as the above example of ruby and topaz making orange. You could also use different potions to help make different colors, though this may be getting a bit too involved.

I would love an in-depth system like this, though I am not in favor of a transmog system. Dyes are good, but making a dagger look like a great axe is dumb.

3 Likes

I like transmogs in the form of armors, but I do agree with the weapons aspect being a bit dumb.

The only reason I disagree with your use of gems is the cost. Why? because this is a cosmetic change purely and doesn’t affect the game beyond that, I honestly feel like it shouldn’t cost too much to do, if much at all.

That’s why a simple drag-and-drop potion effect would be ideal in my opinion. However, I understand your point, and I definitely respect not making something essentially free, so I see where you’re coming from.

As opposed to transmogrify, however, my idea was having a stash tab for “cosmetic slots” where there’s a faux inventory implemented. Whenever you equip a piece of armor (or shield) into the designated slot, the appearance overrides your equipped item, but not the stats. I don’t want this for weapons for obvious reasons, but definitely for armor pieces.

I agree with dyes or transmog. It doesn’t hurt the game at all, just adds customization.

1 Like

[/quote]

omg no, do not ever bring dyes to this masterpiece of a game! I cannot even fathom who anyone how has truly experienced this game would ever consider something so Ludacris.

Leave ethereal items as they are. Making the suggested changes would completely eliminate their point.

1 Like

Not true, you want ethereal items in many cases. For example, if you find an ethereal reapers toll, it has much more value than a regular one, which is essentially not even worth keeping for trade.

As far as the dyes go, since in the suggestion you can further dye already dyed items, you only need the primary colors (red, blue, yellow I think, I’m no artist). :grin:

yes ethereal items have different values that non eth… that is kind of the point…

to put it nicely, dyes seem like something I might have found cool 25 years ago but currently nothing more than a corny gimmick. FYI there is already a diablo game with dyes and other corny gimmicks you could try… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the idea. Along those lines- I’d like to see skins. Necro already has it with their class set.

Make them inexpensive, do some monster recolors. Have a fun system in place to earn in-game currency to buy all of the skins…

I know for a fact that I’d play every ladder for the rest of my life if there was some season only recolor that let me run cows as a fallen shaman.

3-piece tal rasha with shako is already pretty common tho haha

I don’t see the point, please explain. You said:

The only problem with skins is how they work: you get the animations and speeds of that monster. For instance, you’ll notice Trang-Oul’s vampire skin has much worse casting speeds, this is because the vampire’s animations are much slower than the Necromancer. It would be incredibly difficult to balance these things out.

Now, if more “monster morph” sets were added to other classes, that could be a different topic. Maybe:

Sorceress = Succubus Set (to give it more of a Warlock feel).
Assassin = Lucani (or cat-women)
Amazon = Corrupt Rogues
Druid = Thorned Hulk
Barbarian = Moon Lord (the Bull Demons that use Frenzy)
Paladin = Council Member
Necromancer = Greater Mummy (Radament)

These were just quick thrown-in suggestions for set changes. While I wouldn’t want these in the game (because like I’ve said - I don’t like changes that affect gameplay), I would certainly forgive it for giving me the ability to play as a succubus.

1 Like

ethereal adds diversity to the game. It increasing the quality of some items while making others fragile or temporary. It’s another level to rng and the game would not be the same without it. The mechanic is well thought out and a great addition to the game. It is also meant to be a permanent state.

1 Like

It’s also annoying when you’re barely getting time to play the game due to work or school, so your farming time is limited. When you find Arach, or Shako for the first time, and they come out ethereal, it’s frustrating.

If you have a lot of time to play the game and farm things, fair enough, but I (and many others) do not.

1 Like

Yeah… Succubus Sorc would be so cooool. Id teleport around as an Act 3 frog XD

I wouldn’t want it to impact gameplay either. Infact I would prefer that it was linked to a charm or imbuable to an item like the Anya quest that names your gear.