AVX Issues / Game Launches, then Crashes on Older Processors (CPU)

Unfortunately this is the case … but the question remains … what is the beta for if it doesn’t work in the final version?

The launch build of the game is different than the beta build. It was probably a much later build and utilized instructions that older CPUs can’t interpret.

They claimed it was “an accident,” akin to flipping a switch, but AVX instructions have to be intentionally coded into the framework of the game’s launch and load functions. Blizzard is quite aware they would be locking people out, and probably determined they would make enough to offset the losses of customers refunding.

I would assume at this point, nothing will be done about AVX. Hope for the best, but expect the minimum specifications to include AVX and the community manager to announce you can’t play unless you upgrade.

Just like with Diablo 3, the beta was more of a showcase demo to build hype and get community buzz going. Blizzard intentionally shows you just a slice of the game to get you wanting more, when they’re wasting the chance to get some serious testing work done.

Had they shown Diablo 3 to beta testers in its entirety, we would’ve discovered very quickly 1.0 of vanilla was awful before it even dropped. But Blizzard was more concerned about trying to get you to come back post Skeleton King and didn’t care to consider the rest of the game might be a bust.

10 Likes

Saw an update today. My game still launches, then crashes…

The patch notes have nothing in them for AVX. This was not for us, and we likely won’t see any AVX fixes in the near term.

I PAID for it. I suppose to play it IMMEDIATELY.
Looks like they think refund can settle my anger. NO!!!
It’s something about commitment.
That is the worst experience for me in buying a game ever.

4 Likes

It will mean that I will continue to play other things … and I try not to think about it, otherwise I just get so much anger and frustration

Did they reply after the patch is not working?

They didn’t gave us any updates for 2 days now… I already refund it, but I’m still pissed. It’s not about my money… A lot of us took days off from work, or just simply not planned anything for this weekend to be able to play the game, and this happens.

It’s really dissapointing.

4 Likes

The new patch made no change for me either. Tomorrow ends the first full week of live gameplay and I expect for me will conclude with me requesting the refund for seeing not one screen of gameplay.

Last fix very probably modify other “things”…

1 Like

Post for count

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t/are-you-unable-to-play/12698

First we heard there might be a patch monday for this issue. But that didn’t happen :frowning:
I expect this to be fixed ASAP. I don’t want to refund. The devs have already stated that they have a potential fix, that needs to pass QA. So hopefully that gets done sooner than later.

But now there are talks that the devs won’t fix it afterall? Is this true? :open_mouth:
Perhaps we need another confirmation stating that this WILL be fixed.

I think the main problem is the interpretation of minimal specs. To some people that means processing power. To others that means chipset support. Maybe others look at it based upon release date of the CPU compared to when they got their CPU.

Earlier in the thread someone said that the minimum specs where created from feedback of the beta. My guess is that the developers saw the minimum and said “hey, that means we can use AVX to improve performance because all CPUs with that chipset and beyond support it.”

Just my guess.

Has Blizzard ever walked back a promise of a fix in the past? Maybe we can have some insights by looking at the past if they will still implement a fix. October is just around the corner so maybe it is true that since the new fiscal year is coming in they just want more purchases to report but is actually just expecting us to just refund anyway and not do a fix.

It’s not really a case of misinterpretation. Blizzard’s statement clearly stated it was “inadvertently” added as a requirement, indicating they did make a mistake.

1 Like

hay que protestar en reddit , facebook y twiter no solo aquí jejejejjejeje

Hey Bers
I tried that and it didn’t work for me.
The error dialog still comes up.

Just requested refund, hopefully i’m not too late.
First i was mad but now i’m sad… just wanted to play this game from the start and now i’m not sure if can play it at all.
And not going to spend hundreds on new hardware either

2 Likes

I want to play a modern version of D2. I can’t do that with legacy LOD and it looks like crap on a modern wide screen HD display. I still want to play the game and Switch lets me take it on the go. So I’m fine with moving over to console at this point.

Sure it is. Does anybody experiencing the AVX issue have a newer chipset than the minimum spec? Your interpretation was that you CPU is faster than the minimum not that your CPU had a newer chipset.

I could see a scenario where the programmers were given the minimum specs and they went with it. Most likely they didn’t communicate what that would mean to users with older CPUs. That is where I believe the “inadvertently” added comes from.