AVX Issues / Game Launches, then Crashes on Older Processors (CPU)

I really don’t know as it depends highly on their infrastructure. I’ve worked at companies that take months to spin up new environments and others that can spin them up with a click of a button. Given how this situation has been managed and their lack of responsiveness, I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Yeah that is what I thought. I’m sure someone will come up with something, but for now just wait. But honestly they had to loss some business from this.

I’m not sure you all know who Jim Sterling is. She has a Youtube channel that loves to expose AAA companies for all the greedy stuff that they do and has released many episodes on Activision/Blizzard. I just left her a long comment telling her all about what Blizzard has done on this release because I know this is the kind of stuff she loves to expose. Hopefully she will make an episode about it. lol

4 Likes

I will have to add this to my list of people to watch to see what comes of it.

Can you guys confirm if a Radeon RX560 mean I do not meet the requirements for the videocard? A Blizz GM tells me it does not. But it’s a 4GB VC.I checked that the game requires a GTX 660 minimum (2GB) or AMD Radeon HD 7850. Aside from higher RAM, the GTX 660 came out in the market in 20212 while my video card came out in 2017.

Am I really to believe that AVX is a server side dependency spite it being what seems to be a wholly client side software/hardware function? I doubt the server (if designed well) allows much of any graphics strain on the servers.

You literally can’t take AVX out of the games bootup sequence and turn it into in game video option which requests you need to relog/restart the application to enable AVX and it saves that option?

Am I crazy?

1 Like

So the issue that we are having isn’t in GPU its in the CPU/Motherboard.

2 Likes

I left you a comment to your comment. :slight_smile:

Hey Joe , according to your knowledge is it possible they just forgot to uncheck the AVX or its not how that works and everything was planned from day 1 ? Thanks

Well, aside from me also experiencing the AVX issue, a Blizzard GM is telling me that the my video card also isn’t enough. So I am thinking about if I should just wait for the fix or refund it now. I’m confused af though since my current video card is newer by 5 years with the minimum video card they are requiring.

+1 on the additional ‘beta’ setup.
That would (at least) be something for those just wanting to play.

Also as a fellow SE, I agree that the lack of transparency and apparent ‘QA process’ are definitely bad signs.

Refunded just now.
:cry:

There isn’t a simple check box for AVX. AVX instructions are written into the code. Blizzard went out of their way to add these instructions. Somewhere between the beta client and the launch client, someone decided to “sneak” AVX into the code.

2 Likes

Just so we’re clear, I’m not an expert on AVX or even game dev. I think a 3rd option is more likely and that is that they made large changes to optimize performance before launch and it was completely missed due to a severe lack of testing. Pretty clear testing was done on newer hardware only during launch prep.

2 Likes

Videocard should have no baring on this AVX issue, this sounds like a chipset design/lazy programming only issue.

Good chance if your videocard isnt on the line of what is considered passible the game will likely spit out a below hardware requirements regardless.

If you had the good fortune to play beta and you saw it work or find a thread about someone who was playing with it during beta - you may still have a shot.

I think Blizzards spec requirements are basically a law though, added after beta after feedback of what the specs should be. A computer taking too long to render or make calculations can create server lag for other people.

If your system meets the requirements listed you are supposed to be able to play. They are just lying now covering their behinds. I won’t get a refund, keeping the non functional game as a badge of honor/shame, but if you want get a refund. I am sure now that they are not going to change anything, like I said they are covering their behinds and we are not going to be able to play on our systems that don’t support AVX.

So just chalk it up to a clueless Blizzard GM then? I don’t get why it wouldnt be on par with the system requirements when my videocard has more RAM and is newer in the market by 5 years compared to the video card they are requiring. Feels like they just want to get ride of me.

2 Likes

It’s gonna be a rewrite of one or more subsystems probably. Some major part of the application must rely on assumption of technology AVX being used

1 Like

how the actual F is this AVX incompatibility EVEN A PART OF THIS INDUSTRY. Something that DISQUALIFIES enormous segments of users would be so incredibly taboo every Dev team would know this is the ONE thing you would not mess with. This is the most twilight zoney thing i’ve ever seen. Honestly if this was somehow just overlooked and is being claimed internally as an “Oops”, Fletcher needs to lose his job with Blizz - what an enormous embarrassment to bring down on your embattled Co.

5 Likes

Well, one theory could be that since many of the people in this player segment has already preordered, excluding some of them to layoff some stress to their servers isn’t really an issue since they already paid. Maybe the servers weren’t still ready in full come the release date and they needed some degree of reprieve from the expected influx of players.

So lets draw the line…For people who actually have a clue about this process,is it more likely that they fix this and we all can finally play or there is a better chance they just say : okay AVX is now officially req for this game , if you dont have it you wont play this game,period.