Assasin wake of fire massive crashes

Playing on the PS4.
Literally the game never crashed for me on have almost 100h so far, but then I made an assassin. I made an assasin that I’m playing her with the wake of fire (fire traps basically) skill. And every time there is a fight that last longer than what a normal fight would me, game crashes. And longer I mean, fighting izual, had 3 crashes, fighting the ancients had 3 crashes, fighting baal had 5 crashes, 4 of then killing the last minions he spawns or more likely the boss of the last minions, and the 5th when I killed baal. It crashed, I know I killed him because when I logged back I had completed the quest. This is probably due to spamming fire traps because I have completed the game several times with different classes and never has such problems. I play online.

4 Likes

Same thing here! Same skill. Just crashed in a 4 party game with Diablo at 5% health. Crashed numerous times in Grand Viser when solo.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same exact problem today with a new assassin. Crashes with other character were not frequent like this.

My game crashed with assassin on Izual, Chaos Sanctuary right before diablo spawn, as soon as I killed Diablo, again on Ancients, then 5 - 6 crashes on final wave on minions, 1 crash on Baal.

I was finally able to defeat Baal. Not sure if I was just lucky or if going to town in the middle of the fight prevented the crash.

Since defeating Baal on normal, I crashed again in nightmare on Blood Raven. Giving up for now…

2 Likes

Same here, after I re-speced to fire assassin I have crashed maybe 10 times. its getting more and more frequent it seems, or since the enemies are getting tougher I’m spending more time with fire traps on the field.

As a post October 5 patch update, this is still happening. I have crashed during normal Andy and Baal, just now during nm Duriel, and several times in between.

Same problem here in ancients with trapsin, the game crash. Can’t progress. :frowning_face:

this is still a thing… go outside town and spam fire traps until the game crashes, it only takes 20 or so casts. i can purposely make it crash every time on command.

Is the problem the same with light traps? Or is it exclusive to the fire trap? Only asking as they have different models etc

same problem here, even after lastest patches. small indy company doesn`t get the game going bugfree, certainly not in onlijne mode but even offline mode it crashes all the time. worst thing is that it doesnt even autosave, so after each crash, the progress is lost…

I can confirm that Lightning Traps do not crash because I finished off my Assassin in Hell post patch. PS4.

I spam the crap out of those with increased attack speed and use the death sentry as well.

I’m tempted to make a new fire trap assassin to try this out.

Edit: Post your Console, Difficulty, Act and Zone. Also, Prior to patch I noticed that if you cleared every zone in an Act and left items on the ground it would begin to slow the game down.

Did you experience a degredation of performance prior to the crash? Eg. Slow frame rate or textures not loading in?

Edit Update: I have made an assassin to test the claims that wake of fire is crashing the game.

I believe this is false as I can’t replicate this bug. It does not make sense that a single skills would all of a sudden start crashing the game when the skills are not being modified in patches (Stats, Graphics)

If you think I’m wrong try to make the skill crash the game again.

1 Like

Same thing here. Trying to kill baal but always crashes at the last group of minions before baal fight. Spaming traps, long flight, game crashes.

1 Like

Just did it right now twice in a row. Long fight with strong group of minions, keep spaming traps and game will crash. :slight_smile:

wake of fire to be exact. PS4, normal difficulty, last group of baal minions. But any long fight will do. I had this before at other place. Don’t remember exactly where, but I remember it was also a long fight spamming wake of fire for a long period.

1 Like

What makes you so sure it’s wake of fire that causes the crash? Have you tried not using it or applying them slower. Are you behind the throne? Moving around?

Is it always the last wave of minions? It’s just such a bizarre thing that a skill would cause this. I’ll respec my assassin.

FYI you’re doing it wrong trying to use wake of fire in the end game but to each their own. I’m on and we’ll see about this Baal business.

Edit: Baal, Normal, Lightning traps spammed at 91% Increased attack speed constant casting did not crash game. Will move on to different difficulties and then switch to wake of fire

Edit 2: Baal Nightmare, Lightning traps nadda. I tried to run around inside the spawn globes, in around the throne, clicked on the portal like a maniac. Will just spec the fire traps. Moment of truth I guess but I don’t forsee this going well for the skill is the bug people. I’ve been wrong before.

Edit 3: You guys are RIGHT! I was wrong. If you use Wake of Fire in Baal’s throne room where he spawns minions in rappid use it crashed the game. It does not have to be a long fight.

What I think is happening is that the traps are falling into the same spawn zone as Baals minions.

Further tests are in order! What if I spawn them somewhere else in the map not infront of him…

Edit Update 4: The bug is indeed location specific infront of Baal, while he is spawning minions and holding down the button to constantly make traps. Further away does not crash for me. Slowly placing them does not crash.

Here is a link to respec your assassin if want to avoid Wake of Fire .

d2.maxroll.gg/guides/lightning-sentry-assassin-guide (Add the http)

You can pull those enemies away from Baal if you want to keep your build or take your chances casting slow right infront.

I also sent the pic/video through the PS4 crash screen. I’d say this has been isolated pretty darn well. Should be no trouble to work your character around the hazard.

1 Like

For your Edit 4: No, it’s not location specific. Just happened to me right now fighting duriel on Nightmare difficulty. It doesn’t seem to be related with the amount of minions or location, but to how long you spam wake of fire at the same place. Duriel’s life was going down very slowly, I was more than 3 minutes spaming WoFs, around 1000 mana spent.When I got his life bar half way through, BAM. Crash…

1 Like

Going to try to kill Duriel for the second time now, wish me luck. I will try to take turns between WoF and Death Sentry to see if it helps.

Didn’t worked. I ran around Duriel placing WoF and Death Sentry slowly and taking turns. Waiting for the traps to extinguish before placing new ones, Took me around 10 minutes fighting and when he was 10% HP, BAM crash again. I’m stuck at Duriel now, So nice.

Edit: I was about to give up but decided to give another try. This time I fought him walking in circles spaming only WoF traps, but when he was about 50% HP I opened a TP, went town, Loaded a couple other maps using the waypoint and then hot back there and finished the fight spaming more WoF traps as usual. No crash. It seems to me that it’s some kind of memory leak of the previous traps placed on the map. Loading another map and then coming back apears to clean that from memory. Try it out, guys!

3 Likes

When I tried to spam WoF anywhere else in the map I could not get it to crash.

I see people are fighting bosses. It must be related to the Bosses then?

This is good though because more and more detail is coming in. I will try to fight other bosses and try harder to make it crash elswhere.

Also we can’t say it’s long fights because I can make it happen in 3 seconds on Baal right infront of him.

Wish a Dev would tell us if it’s allready fixed for the next patch. We could be wasting tons of time here lol

1 Like

I think the WoF needs to activate to trigger the glitch. Spamming in an area without enemies won’t work. That’s Why it happen fighting bosses or strong enemies. It’s the only way traps will activate for a long period.

1 Like

I mentioned this before but will again.

It’s not the duration of the trap because I can make it crash in 3 seconds.

If you have a high attack speed they fly out fast. It’s something to do with spawning them into existance around the bosses.

1 Like