Anyone Prefer Legacy Mode?

I never played original D2. I sometimes toggle on Legacy mode and just keep it on the entire game session.
Something wrong with me? I think old gfx have more charm.

3 Likes

Legacy graphics are indeed “OG” and yes they do have massive style and charm. What’s a bit sad though is the actual legacy D2 looks even better than what we’re presented with in D2R. Hopefully they can add some more options to improve the visual quality of the Legacy graphics, as well as add a toggle to “start in Legacy graphics” so we don’t have to toggle it on every single game.

10 Likes

If only there was a legacy mode for the character selection screen when you launch.

12 Likes

Classic graphics is equal to what DirectDraw Direct3D is in the original game. They should look into making the classic graphics look like Glide instead of DirectDraw Direct3D, or at least give the option between the two.

Edit: After a closer look, it does look like Direct3D, not DirectDraw. My mistake.

7 Likes

I don’t think D2R legacy mode uses DDraw, I think it’s D3D or Glide. At least when I compared it to my original D2 install that uses DDraw it had the “wrong” colors even after correcting the default gamma.

Rare items in DDraw are more of a light yellow color and uniques are a goldenish color, rares in Glide are a sort of slightly greenish-yellow and uniques are more of a tanish gold. More saturated colors is what I’m trying to say I guess, and I’m pretty sure legacy mode has these saturated colors.

1 Like

Svens glide wrapper with the original game looks better than D2R in classic graphics mode, the ball got dropped somewhere.

6 Likes

I don’t think that the current live version of D2R legacy graphics look too bad, definitely not as good as the original with DDraw (my favorite renderer :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ) but it looks good enough for me. I mostly just use it to compare the new graphics with the old and sometimes for frame data (I was helping someone figure out the new 2.4 Fury breakpoints).

However, they did made a change in the PTR that completely murders the legacy graphics. Just a horrible, blurry, muddy mess.

Someone made a Reddit post that has pictures, and yeah it just looks horrible. Easier to compare if you open each screenshot in a new tab and swap between them, I hope this change doesn’t make it to live 2.4 but it probably will. :frowning:

2 Likes

Is it possible the some of the options in the PTR client were different from the live client? Or were the options the same for both clients yet PTR was still blurry?

The graphics in Legacy mode of D2R are not quite the same as in the actual Legacy version, so I only use Legacy mode in D2R to momentarily compare the look of certain locations; I don’t play in Legacy mode when I’m playing D2R.
I still have the Legacy version for that.

I will always love the Legacy version; my feelings about it aren’t diminished by the remaster.
I still have Legacy D2:LoD installed and I still play it.
I love the new graphics of the remaster but I remain very fond of the older graphics; same with Diablo, which I also still have installed.

I have diablo 2 Lod on my comp loaded up, legacy mode is not the same graphics. I’ll post side by side soon. legacy graphics are actually worse then diablo 2 lod old graphics, something screwy is goin on.

1 Like

I use Legacy graphics only to cool off my “oven” from time to time. I run on lowest of low settings, still its cooking good!

2 Likes

Updating our rig with this bat flu prices is at best moronic

I like the old style better, I always play in legacy mode.
My first toon I tried the new, but now im only playing legacy mode. Wish they had a setting to check so you didnt have to swap every game.

3 Likes

Legacy actually looks worse than vanilla, it looks similar but worse. I still have an active vanilla d2 accnt I play every now and then

1 Like

The legacy graphics are certainly more pixelated than the original game, but that doesn’t take away the charm of the overall aesthetic. I’d argue that the vanilla D2 graphics have aged remarkably well, considering the tech level of the time. Any actual 3D game that tried to go with the “realistic” art style, instead of more stylized or cartoony graphics, look much more dated than the OG D2.

Credit where it’s due though, the devs of D2R did a masterful job, especially with the environments. Love the amount of detail.

3 Likes

Yes the environmental artists did a PHENOMENAL job. And while the character art may not have been the choice of the artists themselves, it’s awful and the opposite of the environment.

1 Like

The character design doesn’t honestly bother me all that much. The Paladin could’ve had a buzz cut or a bald head, the Necro could’ve looked slightly younger, the Barbarian, actually looks better when hes not so comically buff. And most importantly, the Amazon could’ve actually looked like a woman.
I’m more annoyed than anything, with the smell of wokeness, than the actual designs themselves.

1 Like

Well yeah, that’s what ruined them.

1 Like

I’m still upset about them “covering up” Jaina’s “cleavage” in Hearthstone. As if 1. it’s somehow wrong or bad to have some bit of skin showing and 2. as if Warcraft isn’t a mature franchise already, so slaying all manner of stuff is okay, super buff dudes showing off their massive arms are okay, but god forbid a woman show a bit of skin below her neck.

3 Likes

Huh, same as with the sorc underboobs then. It’s just stupid, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around how anyone could genuinely be upset about that. Especially considering the medieval fantasy setting, where battle bikinis are a thing.

1 Like