Any news on macOS support?

Why its not released yet? Is this because of Microsoft owning Blizzard now?
All other Blizzard game are working on Mac except this one. Why?

5 Likes

Too small playerbase. This is not profitable for blizz. So you can wait for a very very long time.

2 Likes

Support for classic D2 (2000) on Mac ended in Jan 2021.

There are no plans to release D2R on Mac. This decision was made years ago. The same goes for Diablo 4.

It has nothing to do with Microsoft and everything to do with Apple not being easy for game devs to work with. That, plus a small market, means they are not doing it.

7 Likes

To expand on this (and to give MissCheetah more info for her hoard of files :slight_smile: ), the reason the classic versions of D2/LoD ended on macOS is because despite the hardware easily being able to support and run 32-bit software, that capability was removed from the macOS (mach) kernel. As of Catalina (macOS 10.15), only 64-bit software is able to run outside of a virtual machine. And nobody really wants to game inside a virtual machine except for really old systems like the original Motorola 68k based Macs or 16-bit DOS games (DOSBox).

As for the rest of macOS support, Apple’s myriad shenanigans have essentially pissed Blizzard off to the extreme and thus only games already launched on macOS get any support at all, and then only games that have a 64-bit version. Additionally, Diablo 3, which is an OpenGL based game in macOS, is effectively on life support and barely functional in anything later than 10.13.6 due to Apple letting OpenGL rot entirely instead of at least giving us OpenGL 4.5/4.6. D3 might run better if it were ported to Metal, but with just one fully dedicated macOS programmer on the platform team there isn’t enough time for that to happen or else it would have been done already. And with Apple switching to their own hardware (“Apple Silicon”, e.g. M1, etc.), that’s an additional platform Blizzard would have to support and troubleshoot. The return on investment (ROI) is virtually nil there.

Don’t gripe at Blizzard for lack of macOS support, gripe at Apple for being anti-trust and douchebags to boot. They gave Blizzard and most of the game industry the middle finger multiple times, so now sadly we reap the rewards of their actions.

I’m a macOS fan through and through, but I’m not blind to what Apple has done over the last decade. It’s why the build I’ve been waiting to get started (due to a bad back and having to move a 70 lb. computer case to do so) will be my final hackintosh. Only two games that I play are still on macOS: D3 and World of Warcraft. D3’s dying a slow death there and WoW will likely see an end to macOS support after the 10.0 expansion.

Apple only cares about itself and will absolutely hurt and/or hinder anyone else that gets in its way.

7 Likes

the reason is so obvious. Microsoft doesn’t agree any software on MacOS. Activision => microsoft soon
ok?

1 Like

You are being sarcastic right? Blizzard has not been supporting a lot of Mac stuff for years now. Overwatch released in 2016. No Mac version.

This has nothing to do with Microsoft. They won’t have a say until next year at the earliest and most certainly did not have a say in 2016 or for any of the rest of the games currently out at Blizz.

5 Likes

What? WinDOH’s 11 hasn’t won you over? They seem to be doing what they can to mimic MacOS visually anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Which is why I hate it. I never liked Apple’s forced Dock to begin with. Yes it’s convenient for launching apps, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to move my mouse toward the bottom of the screen and that damned Dock pops up, blocking what I’m trying to click on or interact with. Only exclusive fullscreen games prevent that, and that’s gone in Metal 2.0. The only reason WoW stops it is because Rommax put in a hack just so I could play without losing my mouse acceleration curve every time the Dock decided to fart in my direction. If the WoW Windows client or Windows itself had a focus lock option I’d just play there entirely as I could have the latest OS instead of being stuck on 10.13.6 because I have an nVidia GPU and can’t afford the $1.5k+ price for a Radeon 6900XT that would allow me to play in macOS 12.x (Monterey).

Microsoft would have done well to make that blasted wannabe Dock thing optional with the Windows 10 style bar as a built in option without having to jump through eleventy billion hoops. Well that and the fTPM/TPM 2.0 module requirement. I’ll have that available in my 9900k build, but that’ll make hackintoshing a bit harder as I’ll have to move to OpenCore since that’s the only bootloader with guaranteed TPM support.

It makes total sense to have a MacOS version of D2R, even if it runs via Rosetta. Path of Exile is and it’s a huge success. A native version is in the works as well. Can not wait. But I’ve given up on any hope for Blizzard, decades of disappointment and they just don’t seem to care about their fans. DI is proof. On the opposite end of this spectrum, GGG is totally awesome and fan focused with Poe.

1 Like

Also, the M1 chip has revolutionized the industry, like it can even perform better than a Rtx 3080. The new M2 coming this fall will exceed pc gaming performance.

M1, M2, Mwhatever, still doesn’t do anything about the hurdles to jump over to get the game “Apple approved”, then there is of course Apples percentage cut on sales…

Blizzard would lose money bringing the game to Macs. Losing money is not good from a business perspective. If Mac gamers accounted for 20% of the entire gaming population, it’d be a different story, but you and I know they aren’t anywhere close to that. If the Mac owners really want to game, I think it’s safe to say a lot of them can afford a Windows gaming system.

2 Likes

I support Mac. Those Macbooks make excellent mousepads for my PC.

3 Likes

So, like this?

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Lol 100% this in every way.

For the record I play Diablo 2 resurrected on a MacBook Pro, just installed Windows operating system on a partitioned section of my HD, it’s free from Microsoft website.

Have to deal with a little water mark on the desktop but you can make that disappear if you look up some YouTube tutorials… Or you can just buy windows home edition.

it’s a 2015 macbook pro so i only get about 28-35fps in Resurrected mode, usually play in legacy graphics which i like more anyway

Intel based Macs can run Windows natively without any problems. Apples new M1/M2 chips are an ARM based chip, which won’t run Windows. It looks like the only current option to run Windows on the new M# chips is through emulation with Parallels, which doesn’t support DX12, so that won’t work for D2:R. There’s also something called CrossOver which can run some Windows apps and games in MacOS without emulation, however it looks like D2:R is currently not working with CrossOver.

got it, learned smth new.

Anyway, once I pay off my court fines I’m buying my first PC :stuck_out_tongue:

My dad has repaired Apple computers for 25 years so I wasn’t allowed to have a pc growing up

Windoze is garbage. MacOS is superior. I’m not an Apple fan, but they do have the best tech.

1 Like

Well, drop a line to Tim Cook and ask him to make it less of a headache for developers to bring their games to their systems. Good luck. :smiley:

Im which way? Windows is superior for me cause I can play all the games out there.Mac sucks solely in this area,not to mention mac graphics cards cost 5x as much for the graphics card with a bios for mac.Macs get less viruses but thats simply because most people use windows and thats the main target.So there are just less viruses that infect macs.People that think macs dont get viruses are full of it

if it wasnt for the iphone that company would have went under a long time ago