4 socket swords

Larzuk quest for crystal swords only gave me 3 sockets.

I thought crystal swords had 4 max sockets. I have also been grinding normal cows for hours and I do not see a 4 socket sword drop anywhere.

do these only drop in NM?

Please do NOT comment if

1. you have NOT made a runeword for a 4 piece sword
  2. if you have NOT seen a 4 socket sword drop
    or 3) if you have NOT used Larzuk quest for a 4 socket sword
1 Like

the crystal sword (if you are using that base) has to drop from a normal cow or nightmare+. It must not have dropped there

3 Likes

what is the difference tho? is it the ilvl? how is one even supposed to know the difference?

its thwe level of the area u found it in

It’s the level the mob is that dropped it, not the area. You can find a broad sword in act 2 from tomb runs off a very specific zombie group that can get 4 open sockets if you use the cube recipe.

1 Like

We asked for the QoL and purists got upset.

There is no way to tell other than knowing exactly what monster dropped it

A crystal sword can have anywhere from 1-6 sockets.

But the maximum will be different depending on the item level. The item level will be the same as the monster that dropped it. This is why people were asking to show the ilvl of items.

https://www.purediablo.com/diablo-2/sockets/#Normal_Items

Scroll down to the Sockets by Number list, that will show you the ilvls required for a certain max number of sockets.

2 Likes

An item dropped on normal difficulty can never have more than 3 sockets, except from cows that can have 4.

You can cube or larzuk more than 3 sockets however.

having to not learn the do’s and donts of a game isnt a qol change… back how games used to be… u had to make mistakes to learn what you were doing

2 Likes

You’d still need to learn the ins and outs to know what the Ilvl even means. It is very much a QoL thing.

1 Like

i’d recommend keeping your larzuk quest for unique item such as shako or other important item.
sword with 4 socket are rather common in normal cows or nightmare afterall.

or at the very least , if that was for spirit , keeping said larzuk quest to use on a monarch shield considering a 4 socket monarch is a bit rare :stuck_out_tongue: (though there is always recipe to add sockets in items if you want to gamble a bit)

A crystal sword from normal Chaos Sanctuary (alvl 28) and onwards should get max 4 socket, yet it doesn’t.
Correct me if I’m wrong but in D2 Crystal sword has max sockets 3 on ilvl1-26, 4 sockets on ilvl 27-40 and 6 sockets on ilvl 41+.
It seems something has been tweaked in d2r.

1 Like

A crystal sword from normal Chaos Sanctuary (alvl 28) and onwards should get max 4 socket, yet it doesn’t.

It depends on who drops the item in those areas, because you have to take into account monster lvl. Monster lvl and Area lvl don’t match until NM or something. That’s why it’s better just to farm Cows after beating Normal instead of keep tracking of that stuff.

1 Like

I normally save socket quest for ethereal polearms and armor for mercs. Eth CV or thresher are annoying to find sometimes and they are so incredibly powerful for a merc to make insight/infinity or obedience on.

Once I have those I save them for uniques to be sure. Skullder’s Ire with an extra ptopaz is nice.

Lol moderating who can participate in your thread. I’m glad you screwed up your sword lol.

9 Likes

yea of CV / polearm or even monarch shield i can understand.
for regular sword considering how common they are , a bit less :confused:
For Eth Cv (especially superior one) it’s great.

found some great eth superior armor for threachery for my mercenary :stuck_out_tongue:
but don’t have a lem rune yet… xD
and since i don’t do any trade , might take a while to find this specific rune since i can’t solo hell countess yet (cold sorc only currently and mercenary not strong enough to carry me , i can meph , pindle , andy with my cold sorc on hell , but not countess currently , eitherway i’ll see when my character get better level and my mercenary can equip better things or when i do another character)

OP sounds deranged.

Get a clean crystal sword or broadsword from cow level in normal mode. They drop all the time.
Lazurk it and it will always be 4 sockets. That’s how you do it you lunatic.

1 Like

So,. First of all. No need to be toxic with your “DONT POST” section.

But even though you are being rude I’ll still help you.

Item level determines how many sockets something can have. The quest always gives max sockets.

What you want to do is get a crystal sword specifically from normal cows. That one will always be 4os. It can drop from Act 4/5 and NM Act 1 but monster levels aren’t always constant so it might be a 3 or a 5 slotter. Cows is the only place that is 100% always 4os.

2 Likes

i get how saying “dont post if X” can be rude
i mean to be fair… the he didn’t exactly call for steep requirements… basically that u played d2 online before… you will have done what he said.

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Siege_on_Harrogath_(Quest)

How this works:

Magic Items receive either 1 or 2 sockets (assuming they qualify for sockets).
Set Items, Rare Items, Unique Items, and Crafted Items all receive 1 socket.
Normal Items receive the maximum amount of sockets allowed for the item level (not necessarily six, depends on the item being socketed).
Item level is determined by the level of the monster that drops the item.
Socketed items cannot be socketed again.

I ran nightmare cows a bunch of times and got a 4 socketed ethereal crystal sword eventually and used that for my first spirit. Also found a 4 socketed sword of another type with slightly higher requirements and used that for a second spirit for a pally.