Alcohol-Free Event?

This seems like a tragedy, if it’s true as written. Will there be no alcohol on-prem this year at all?

6 Likes

BlizzCon is an alcohol free event, as noted in the Food and Beverage policy being referenced. No outside alcohol will be permitted and it will not be offered inside the convention center either.

3 Likes

Is there a reasoning for the shift in policy? As a long time attendee, I can’t imagine that it’s due to prior experiences within the convention itself.

5 Likes

I can understand inside the convention center but I was curious about outside beer gardens/food trucks that serve alcohol in sectioned off areas as has been the norm in the past?

5 Likes

Prohibition never works. Does no one read history?

7 Likes

So you’re telling me I can’t get a starcraft beer while playing hearthstone! Is this the case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch for the rest of us?

7 Likes

This isnt really a case of prohibition. Blizzard has had issues with how alcohol is treated in the past when it comes to blizzcon.

Multiple conventions have had issues with alcohol.

We dont know what their new “reimagined” convention looks like yet but it may well be something they dont want alcohol around.

In short, there isnt a perfect answer that i think we will ever get. But the hilton bar makes a good chocolate martini so i would def use that.

1 Like

This is by far set up to be the worst Blizzcon ever, and I’ve been going since 08.

No alcohol? To a convention that literally had so many events CENTERED around alcohol, including working with Bottle Logic to create beers for your universes, and having them sold at both MARRIOTT And HILTON in previous years.

Why the change?

I had been still contemplating going, but now? Very unlikely that I want to drop $350 for a flight, $1500 for a hotel, $300 for a regular ticket that I don’t even know what I’m buying (except yet another backpack…), and then let’s not forget the cost of food and whatall out there.

You upped portal pass to over $350 the last price.
You’re getting rid of alcohol.
You’re creating an “immersive experience” but refuse to elaborate.
You’re hiring a 3rd party to come in and create Blizzcon.
You lowered the amount of tickets from 4 to 2, making it harder for groups to get tickets.

10 Likes

And they junked the talent contest, too.

4 Likes

Is this confirmation that the Hearthstone tavern is not happening? Massive bummer since it was such a great place to relax.

7 Likes

It really is terrible to hear :frowning:

Concerts, conventions, etc. always have alcohol.

5 Likes

Loved the Hearthstone Tavern!

4 Likes

No alcohol in the convention is a huge bummer. Especially if this means we are losing some of the really cool beer collaborations.

I do wonder though, will Blizzard refuse entry if anyone appears to be under the influence. I will miss walking around the con with the beer, but I will more than likely have a drink or three at one of the hotels for lunch. It will be a huge let down if this is treated like some high school gym party.

This just seems like a half thought out way to avoid some of the blame/criticism of past Blizzard Employees indiscretions.

5 Likes

Major Bummer. Me and my wife are attending Blizzcon for our honeymoon, We had a Warcraft Wedding. and it’s our first time. I’ve heard of the special drinks from Blizzcons in the past, and it would have been nice to have a couple drinks, relax and enjoy the festivities. #Bummer

6 Likes

This seems like an very overly-cautious, unnecessary change. Everyone at the events are usually very chill, ridiculous.

4 Likes

This policy very blatantly has nothing to do with a “safe and enjoyable” event for the patrons. It’s clear that it’s just a liability play. Does anyone see the additional problems this causes or was the decision as short-sighted as it looks?

This means more convention goers wandering around to other locations outside the center; more people trying to sneak in contraband; more people trying to “brown bag” in the event; more people exiting and re-entering putting additional strain on security; and the absolute number one problem:

More people seeking to attend sketchy/hidden hotel and “backroom” parties.

Do it the same way everyone else does it responsibly: have a designated beer garden/lounge/bar where people can drink and (if rowdy/over the top) not be released back into the main convention.

Impressive how Riot can have 10,000+ crazy toxic LoL fans show up for 2 days with no problem. Is it really that impossible to handle?

5 Likes

This is definitely a bad idea. Enjoying some drinks during a convention of this is is part of the enjoyment. This really needs to be reconsidered

5 Likes

Very disappointed with this policy. Would have loved to have a beer at the Hearthstone Tavern. You could have at least just done a token system where people are only allowed a couple of tokens each paid at entry if you’re worried about drunk and disorderly people.

3 Likes

or even just have it on an app to keep track so it’s assigned to individuals and tokens cant get passed around. cmon Blizzard :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It strikes me how vocal attendants are towards this policy.

I elaborate: I haven’t been to BlizzCon before, but I’ve been following the event online and always wanted to attend. When I thought of going in person, drinking around definitely wasn’t a priority in my BlizzCon to-do list, after seeing the amount of panels and activities you can visit in the event. Yes, it might be cool if you’re particularly a beer lover. But if non-alcoholic drinks and food are still allowed inside, what prevents you from just chilling around with friends drinking whatever else? Is the event so alcoholic-dependant for you? Is alcohol so essential to enjoy a convention about videogames?

And please, I really mean no judgment if you enjoy having a beer in a con - I’d also like to. But I don’t see that policy as taking away any of the important content from the Con I’d be excited about.