Alcohol-Free Event?

In the past, there have been custom beers every year, along with custom art cans. (I actually have saved a few, they’re on my shelf)

It’s like having a couple of drinks at a sporting event or anything else. It’s not that alcohol is a requirement for the experience, but does it make it better to crack a couple beers while you’re hanging out experiencing things in a group? For many many people, the answer is yes

Really the stand-out to me is just that this is a change after many years of the same policy, and it seems…weird. When I first made the post, I sort of assumed that someone had it wrong when they typed up the communication… because it was such an officially supported thing until now. I get that it’s likely to avoid the “frat scene” relationship, but I truly don’t think alcohol at the con was a contributor to that at all in the public’s eyes.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer! As someone who hasn’t been there and didn’t understand the stir, I honestly appreciate reading your point of view.

1 Like

I think what you are seeing people reacting to this big change and a bit worried what else this “reimagined experience” means. As others have said the special release beers were a fun part of the con that is now dead. This fully seems to stem from Blizzard trying to distance themselves from the allegations of employee behavior in the past. Even though Bobby denies any systemic issues - (a link would be here, but I can’t post one). I don’t think I ever saw any disruptive behavior from individuals that drank too much in the convention itself.

To the enjoyment of beer at this specific con. It was a great break from being in the dark rooms to sit out by the food trucks or the atriums in the con itself and enjoy a beer with friends. Or watching the OW tournament in the arena with a beer, again with friends. Also, waiting in line to test a lot of the demos or other experiences was made a little more tolerable with a beer with friends. Also, finally, let’s not forget being able to have a drink while enjoying the concert. Not being able to get a drink in the con won’t stop me from still enjoying those things with friends, but it is disappointing we are losing the ability to enhance the experience for no real reason.

The hotels are right next door to the con so if you need a drink it will be easy to get one. It just feels silly to make a bunch of adults jump through this hoop in the guise of having an harassment free event. As I seriously doubt alcohol in the con itself lead to any of the PR scandals of the recent past. Based on Bobby’s comments it seems as if Blizzard has investigated those already.

Again, the fundamental concern is if Blizzard is willing to drop such a core experience from the con what else are they dropping? Will we get a closing event concert? Why wasn’t StarCraft mentioned? Are we going to have significantly fewer panels than in the past?

4 Likes

This topic has been by far the most talked about and viewed item on the forum and in social media. Most major events around the world allow legal consumption of alcohol purchasable at the location so naturally when folks are told they are not allowed to do something there will be a lot of feedback.

From what I can tell it just seems like many are upset that they are feeling punished for some decision regarding everything that has gone on internally at Blizzard. Also the workarounds I have seen being talked about are not logical or safe.

Not that I would want to “pregame” to begin with, but the idea of kicking back some drinks after only a couple hours of sleep just to stand outside in the hot California heat for hours with 35000 people waiting for a security line to move is not only irresponsible but dangerous. Regardless I am sure there will be many folks that will decide to do this anyway.

If Blizzard decides not to change this policy I will enjoy the convention the same way I have the past 3 times I have gone. If Blizzard reverts and allows for legal sale of alcohol, sure i’ll have a beer with my lunch or enjoy a drink in the beer garden with friends or what have you.

I personally believe there are much safer options than some of the alternatives I have seen talked about so far to try and circumvent these rule changes.

2 Likes

People have always done that regardless of the policy. I remember in past years, seeing people throwing up INSIDE the convention center because they were already drunk, still drunk from the night before or super hungover. It will happen regardless.

1 Like

Taverns & Pubs are a big part of several Blizzard games, plus this is an adult event. Previously custom beers have been made and the entire experiance of people getting together and having a beer in an environment based around games they have played for years or all their life is a huge part of the fun. It’s an awful decision to ban alcohol from the event and a testament to Blizzard not caring one bit about the player base and what we want, and just what is convenient to them (less effort organizing yet they charge higher price tickets). I would not have purchased the tickets if i knew before. Yet now my hotels and booked and tickets paid for I will reluctantly go anyway despite a large part of the enjoyment of the event being banned.
Please blizzard, change this policy. I am coming all the way from the UK.

3 Likes

not sure why my non-policy-violating replies were removed, but if it triggered yall to remove it, maybe you can see now how damaging this tyrannical rule is. do better. you’re gonna lose out on sales of alcohol because some former employee had their first drink and dont know their limit? cool :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Given that ABK had a major lawsuit and BlizzCon was cited as a part of the reason… well, you do the math

2 Likes

^ this

There will still be plenty of alcohol. I really don’t see the big deal. It just won’t be INSIDE the convention center. Anyone who wants will be able to buy alcohol at the hotels or go to the store (BevMo, Albertson’s, Costco, Ralph’s, Target, etc) and buy alcohol to have their own stash.

That’s the thing, none of the controversy was around alcohol in the venue, was it? It’s not about whether it’s the biggest deal or not, just a loss for no real apparent reason.

Keep in mind, nobody is saying “Oh no, I HAVE to have alcohol in the middle of the convention or I can’t function”. But giving up a lot of theming, the custom drinks every year, and just the general access isn’t nothing, even if it doesn’t bother you personally.

3 Likes

I have read that people said that not having alcohol inside the event is totally ruining it for them. I realize that for many people it is a great way to break down walls and help ease social anxiety.

Blizzard is now an alcohol-free campus. They don’t even have alcohol at their private company parties anymore.

1 Like

Look up Cosby Suite. Hopefully this post doesn’t get deleted.

The frustration with that reasoning is I don’t see how the change in the alcohol policy at the con impacts behavior from people at a nearby hotel. Plus, according to the big man himself Blizzard didn’t have any systemic issues they needed to correct.

“We’ve had every possible form of investigation done. And we did not have a systemic issue with harassment - ever. We didn’t have any of what were mischaracterisations reported in the media,” Kotick told Variety. “But what we did have was a very aggressive labour movement working hard to try and destabilise the company.”…“I wouldn’t be sitting here talking to you if any of what you read in the inflammatory narrative was truthful.”

1 Like

This kind of proves their point tho? The “Cosby Suite” was literally a room in the Hilton that now exBlizzard devs would partake in after party antics from the Hilton lobby. None of that occurred inside the convention center.

1 Like

Not going to risk my posting privileges here, but search harder. Lots of former female employees/female con goers have posted their recollections on Twitter.

The old Devs would rely on their parasocial relationships to solicit fans. Alcohol was a major contributor to this, and a number of people have stepped up and spoke about their assaults at BlizzCon.

3 Likes

Lmfao. This all sounds like high school drama. I’ve worked with huge entertainment/smoke companies. This is nothing compared to what i’ve seen. Sounds like they need a new team - oh wait, they have a new team, this is old news, AND they still enforced this policy?

1 Like

In WoW itself there is a lot of promotion of alcohol and a small amount of smoking promoted. I’d like to see both of those banned.

Is smoking banned at blizzcon?

The amount of vape/smoke in those little atriums at the convention was almost comical at times. It would be nice if at least one of them was designated smoke/vape free.

I’ve been to every BlizzCon. We are going again this year. This seems like a serious over-correction that punishes attendees.

The theoretical convenience of the Portal Pass is wholly lost if we must make trips to the Marriott for a glass of wine.

Yes, but at least you will be getting your money’s worth of that special portal pass line.

Edit: I want to add that I am looking forward to the survey to complain about this change. With all of the other changes going on it feels like this might be the last BlizzCon I go to. I am hoping for a fun event, but we will see.