When is Blizzard going to support Linux?!

For the record: I loved WC3 and played it for many years. But I have not bought Reforged yet. My chances of doing so go up significantly if Blizzard adds native Linux support.

Some things work great on Linux (especially with Steam’s support behind it), others do not, others don’t work at all. It’s a big risk for me if I buy Reforged and I only intend to play it on Linux without it being officially supported. I don’t want to use/install Windows.

According to the steam survey, 0.9% o people use Linux, 4% mac, which has official support.

Battle.net launcher looks to me like electron application, and Hearthstone is built with unity, both of these should be relatively easy to port for Linux.
Starting from there and seeing if people are interested would be a good step.

Maybe things would be different if Google Stadia became more popular.
Other platforms seem to be under consideration for Blizzard since they’ve released Diablo for consoles.

+1 You’re already using Linux on the server side, so there must be Linux clients laying around.

+1
I officially moved to Linux desktop today too, and it’s remarkably stable and awesome. I’m using Ubuntu 20.04.
I need to run SC2 in a virtual machine now, but looking forward to a time where this isn’t needed anymore !
Cheers!

This is what I do, but it would be nice to get native support, so I support this thread as well.

1 Like

Bump: just do it!

Linux users are most likely gamers and most likely employed as software engineers with nothing else to do than spend money for skins/membership on blizzard games…

2 Likes

Linux won’t make you win games. Internet is suffering from Corona virus congestion. Don’t tell people to upgrade their hardware. Tell them to come back when its off peak time … The Midnight D.Va time :wink:

The lack of Linux support is the reason why I don’t have any Blizzard games anymore or battle.net for that matter.

Other devs, publishers, platforms (Steam & proton, itch etc) support Linux and there are lots of games available on them. So I ended up playing on those and used Battle.net less and less.

Ten years ago, we didn’t have options. Now we do and Blizzard competitors are offering pretty compelling options in the space for Linux users.

They really should shape up. Market share, technology and support isn’t the question any more. It’s much easier to support Linux these days than it used to be.

For the record, I’ve spent more than a grand on Steam games thus far while being on Linux all along. So it’s also not a money problem for most of the users on the platform.

Fact is, if they were on Linux, I’d still be firing up one of their games to play. But now, there’s no need to since they aren’t supporting it.

4 Likes

I do hope Blizzard company will do the right choice to support Linux.
I hate win10! so slow/buggy software im using pop os on my second hard disk.
WoW work’s perfect :partying_face: , if only COD modern warfare 2019 would work in linux i would be happiest gamer!

Is Linux support planned at all? This would be ideal for me so I can get off bloody Windows.

No. Blizzard has never officially supported Linux and has no plans to. You can get most Blizzard games to work on some version of Linux but it is up to you to figure out how. There are usually other Linux users on Linux forums who can help.

If you apply same arguments to M$, in Steve Ballmer era with his Get the Facts ads they ran Linux on their servers responsible for their downloads, even Windows Update. But now they are married to Linux, since you can run native Linux binaries without recompilation. They also contribute to Linux kernel and Mesa3D.

Hello everyone,
I agree with most stuff writen here, but I don’t even ask for Linux support I just want to get a official statement saying that I will not get banned by using DXVK to that changes dx dlls. I’am fine running lutris if blizzard has no care for customers since activision stepped in, that even made who cared about the actual games more than $ leave blizzard.
But at least don’t ban me for having to go trough a lot of trouble just to play the game.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Linux support…probably never. They dropping Apple compatibly on upcoming Diablo games !

+1

Please make an official support

I agree. If there is a Mac OS version, I see no reason why couldn’t they compile a Linux version, since both Linux and MAC OS X are Unix-derived and use a very similar kernel.

Also, OpenGL and Vulkan are cross-platform and enable you to deploy on pretty much all platforms simultaneously. More platforms = more market share = more money, why not?

2 Likes

+1
Make official support for Linux already there is no good reason not to. There are YouTubers showing how nested virtualization with GPU passthrough on KVM and hypervisor used in the Windows virtual machine lets you bypass the anti-cheating. Even Blizzard themselves keep talking about using Linux tools to develop future games but currently hate having people run their games on Linux. If anything this shows business practices that hinder them instead of helping them. Please don’t say “but people will cheat” well no matter what someone will cheat that is just going to happen and you can’t stop it without practices that turn people away from your company. I am also sure you can have the anti cheat work with Linux with some tinkering anyway since it works with HyperV. The only solution is to also block game access using HyperV which means anyone who installs WSL2 or HyperV can’t play and Microsoft probably won’t be too happy that you’re blocking their enterprise-level software. Just do the easy solution and have your games run on Linux already and as a benefit, you would gain some praise for joining Steam and making games run on Linux and Windows. Also if anyone is wondering why I didn’t mention MacOS since it is Unix based, well it is because Apple decides they like to be incompatible with the software needed to run the games.

+1
I would often play Overwatch and start playing WOW if only I could download a linux launcher instead of booting into ugly Windows…

2 Likes

I play all blizzard games including wow and overwatch on Linux using Lutris which has blizzard battle.net installer. I get almost idenctical and even better performance than windows as we use Vulkan API, DXVK (Direct3D to vulkan). I am not sure if I can paste support links/ discord links here.

And how many of those 4% mac users are also dual booting to Windows – that as a weighted variable should be enough of an argument to deviate from that being a full 4%.

1 Like