Stuck on "Updating the battle net update agent"

Yesterday I was using it normally, but today (09/19/22) the thing doesn’t want to work anymore, I have done everything to try to fix it, I even uninstalled it to try to fix it, but now I can’t even install it, it is currently stuck on “updating the battle net update agent”… this is being very frustrating… result, I can’t play.

13 Likes

Sadly I am having the same issue. I can’t even uninstall Battle.net, it always gives me an error and then I have to close the uninstaller. I can’t play anything. Sad day.

16 Likes

I also cannot access the battle.net app. It was working this morning, then suddenly I was disconnected and could never get back on. I left it for a few hours and when I tried to get on the update agent was “asleep”. Couldn’t uninstall, or reinstall the Battle.net app. Turned off Security, flushed the DNS, updated driver, tried to install as admin … still no luck

1 Like

Hi,

I have the same problem on the european server.
Since 09/19/2022, i can’t load Battlenet. a DLL is missing.

My antivirus software disallow me to download a new version of Battlenet from Blizzard web site. It say it is infected by URL:Blacklist

1 Like

Hello, I face this issue too, what I did was to manually remove the Battlenet/Blizzard folders from app Directory and %appdata%, it should take farther than “updating” window.
My issue is when I continue from that window got stuck on “Installing Battle.net” window.
I’ve tried everything on that so if anyone have an idea on how to face this issue please comment and hopefully my comment can help others on this issue

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue and it’s surprising to see that it’s taking this long to fix, but I’m glad to see I am not alone

2 Likes

The update agent stalling out typically means something on the system or network is preventing the agent from completing it’s task or has corrupted the data in some way. The following steps should clear out potential network and system conflicts then allow manual deletion and a clean reinstall of the Blizzard Desktop Application and Agent programs.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

Sometimes firewall or routing software/hardware will have some advanced settings to prioritize and manage types of network traffic. Normally that is not an issue but we have seen situations where it can interfere with the delivery of the data for our games/voice chat.

Let’s try turning off these features:

QoS
SIP ALG
RoG (ASUS Routers Only)
Security firewalls (Some ISP provided modems)

Not all devices will have these options and the steps for turning these functions off will be different depending on the make/model/software version of the devices and programs involved. If necessary look at the documentation for your security and routing products to find out how to turn these options off.

In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.

You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.

Try running your system in selective startup mode: https://battle.net/support/article/200483

Create a new administrator account: Creating a New Administrator Account - Blizzard Support

Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile and try the app/client.

Let’s manually clear the Battlenet Desktop Application and all supporting data from the system. This will not remove existing game clients.

1. Open file explorer/file manager (Right Click Windows Start)
  2. Navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  3. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  4. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  6. Empty the recycle bin.
  7. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.
5 Likes

A few days ago my battle.net client could not finish any updates so I wanted to restart it.

When I did, it told me some dll is missing and I have to re-install. So I uninstalled it and am now trying to re-install.

When I click the Downloaded Setup File a small window with a blue progress bar shows up and it does not move past “Updating Battle.net” since 15 minutes now.

My computer is not the issue since everything else works and the battle.net client has worked before too.

3 Likes

The same problem here… yesterday I was using it normally, but today (09/19/22) the thing doesn’t want to work anymore, I have done everything to try to fix it, I even uninstalled it to try to fix it, but now I can’t even install it, it is currently stuck on “updating the battle net update agent”… this is being very frustrating… result, I can’t play.

I’m having the same issue as of 11:30 on the 20th

Recently got a dll file issue with my launcher so i decide to re install the app but got stuck on 47%, I’ve tried everything.

-Restarting modem/router

-msconfig

-Turning off protection and background apps

-ReInstalling network adapters

At 100MB in download speed shoudn’t take long to install the app but it’s being over an hour in two days i had this issue.

If anyone have another solution or an idea of what could be possibly causing this, I’ll appreciate your comment

A few days ago my battle.net client could not finish any updates so I wanted to restart it.

When I did, it told me some dll is missing and I have to re-install. So I uninstalled it and am now trying to re-install.

When I click the Downloaded Setup File a small window with a blue progress bar shows up and it does not move past “Updating Battle.net” since 15 minutes now.

My computer is not the issue since everything else works and the battle.net client has worked before too.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue as everyone else here
I have tried to uninstall/reinstall and keep getting the BLZBNTBTS0000005C error
I have manually removed Battlenet/Blizzard folders from app directory and still stuck on “updating” window
I have checked my securities/firewall settings
My boyfriend is on the same network, modem/router and is having no issues and is able to log on to Battle.net yet I am not able to access at all

I am also having these same issues. I tried reinstalling WoW Retail but it refused to download, so I uninstalled Battle.net to see if that was the problem. And now Battle.net won’t install. None of the recommended steps to fix either issue worked for me.

Same problem on a fresh Windows 11 install. Ran the installer and it gets stuck on updating the Battle.net agent. Deleted and redownloaded, rebooted, disabled Windows defender, etc.

1 Like

Having the same exact problem. Bnet just stopped working out of blue and got dll missing message as well saying to reinstall bnet which I attempted and still stuck on update progress bar. I’ve been able to play by launching from wow exe file in folder but it makes me go through annoying not a robot stuff every time I want to log in. Please fix battlenet. It was fine until a day ago.

2 Likes

Thanks! This worked for me. Appreciate it!

1 Like

Use a different wifi… Got this issue earlier, I just switch to my cellphone’s hot spot and reinstall BNet.

2 Likes

I solved it :

1- Disable antivirus software before downloading the installer from the Blizzard website.
2- Once downloaded, reactivate the antivirus software.
3- Scan the file if you want to be sure.
4- Run the installer.
5- If it doesn’t work the first time, wait 1 minute and run it again.

It should run in the background for a while and then the progress bar should move.
The Battle.net login window runs on its own at the end.

Then enjoy

But I am not satisfied that I have to disable my antivirus protection to download official software from BLIZZARD official website. That’s not serious for such a reputable game publisher. They aren’t noobs though! :thinking:

1 Like

The only antivirus software that I had downloaded was BitDefender which I disabled but this still did not help me get passed the “Updating Battle.net” sadly.