Schannel ErrorTLS connection (Oct 2023)

I am also getting the Schannel errors and I am crashing after a few rounds. the dxdiag for the crashes indicates RADAR_PRELEAK_64. I am curious if they are related and why I am crashing. Have updated Windows 11 and reinstalled OW to no avail.

@Kershew

Iā€™m not seeing your directions for a potential workaround on this issue that you are stating were posted above.

1. Can you respond so we all have them?

2. Any ETA/Update regarding a solution?

Thanks!

Any update? I have two Schannel errors every time I log to the App.

2 Likes

I too have the problem
when to update?

[Windows Error Source Schannel] on the blizzard desktop app support

this fixed my schannel error so far. couldnā€™t post the link

To those who still experience Schannel errors delete Battle.net Cache folder. This fixed for me two errors uppon logging.

• Close open Blizzard programs.
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
  • Click the Processes tab.
  • If agent.exe is visible - or Blizzard Update Agent in Windows 10 - then select it and click - End Process
  • Go to the directory containing the cache folder:
  • Press Windows Key+R and open the Run window.
  • In the Run window, type %ProgramData% and press Enter.
  • If the Blizzard Entertainment directory is in this folder, right-click on it and select Delete.
  • Restart the Battle.net App and the game itself.
3 Likes

That worked for me; thank you.

1 Like

Thank You
Is good for me

1 Like

Is there a way to search for the folder where the cache is located?

I attempted the steps with the exception of locating that cache folder and am still encountering the issue.

1 Like

Well, the problem came back again sometime over night. Checked my event viewer and once again was having the TLS problem every 4-5 minutes.

Has there been a patch or is there any update regarding this issue?

Can confirm schannel 36881 errors still occur, as of a few minutes ago, sporadically on my system. As of a day ago, I received schannel 36876 errors, where a valid and updated cert was received, but could not validate properly. Using hex2FILE from tomeko.net, was able to save both as .cert files and import to both user and machine content certificate store (automatic import settings), where I saw that the expired certificate is issued to *.battle.net (expires 8/3/23, issued by DigiCert TLS RSA SHA256 2020 CA1), and the valid, but nonvalidating cert is issued to *.api.blizzard.com (expires 9/25/24, issued by DigiCert Global G2 TLS RSA SHA256 2020 CA1). Both have Intended Purposes of Server Authentication and Client Authentication. Perhaps the *.api.blizzard.com is wrong url path, meant to be *.battle.net? Unsure, also posting screencap link:

https://imgur.com/a/pm4O85C

EDIT: ran LogGoblin.exe and sent logs as requested; .zip file was rejected continuously, as was further compression via 7-zip; .7z, 1.4 MB

EDIT 2: finally got it through! had to volume split via .zip, .z01, .z02 using WinZip to split into 1M volumes max and sending each via separate email

Embedding that screenshot for you (click on screenshot to open / zoom in):

1 Like

Has there been any news on this? Any resolution?

Iā€™m having the same error, itā€™s crashing my computer constantly! Are there any work arounds yet? Iā€™m so frustrated :frowning:

1 Like

Having the same issue and constant drop from Diablo 4 when playing.

This needs to get fixed ASAP! I upgraded computer components and just re subbed for games and now I cant even play them. Blizz needs to fix this garbage or should I now say Microsoft needs to fix this garbage.

After enabling the Apps + Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/CAPI2 eventlog in windows, can now see that *.battle.net is getting through and validating;
23-06-22 - 24-07-22. Not sure what has so far ā€˜fixedā€™ the issue, though just noticed that doh.xfinity.com, for me anyways, is in the middle of some CAPI2 build/verify chain errors and/or X509 object entries, as well as COMODO, on the way down to *.battle.net at times(usually on startup or launch, though schannel errors have ceased for now). Iā€™ve also read that doh.xfinity.com has had an expired certificate, Confirmed, still is.
Another *.battle.net CAPI2 eventlog error is:
[ ProcessName] Battle.net.exe
Result The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.
[ value] 80092013

however:
IgnoreFlags
[ value] 1000
[ SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_CERT_CN_INVALID] true

Update: Appears to be alert-us.battle.net as ā€˜serverā€™ that is using expired cert from time to time and causing schannel errors, according to CAPI2; though it appears to have the aforementioned valid cert and usually uses that, but not always

Also noticing a pattern of accompanied Build/Verify Chain policy CAPI2 errors where *.battle.netā€™s ā€˜chainRefā€™ value(s) and/or ā€˜fileRefā€™ .cer(s) are giving:
Result: A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.
[ value] 800B0109
(Against Policy
[ type] CERT_CHAIN_POLICY_MICROSOFT_ROOT
[ constant] 7)

I still get this error, pc crashes. Brutal

1 Like

I hate to say this but after playing since vanilla I am about to give up on this game and starting to lean toward give me a refund for the last month and return the money that i just spent for the new XP for next year. This has issue still hasnt been fixed or addressed since this post has startedā€¦ Mircoblizz doesnt seem to care about the needs of their customers nor the issues that their customers are experiencing, They only seem to care about taking their customersā€™ moneyā€¦ i submitted a ticket day ago about this:

Error 12/8/2023 6:12:06 PM Schannel 36881 None

ā€œThe certificate received from the remote server has either expired or is not yet valid. The TLS connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.
The SSPI client process is Battle.net (PID: 21436).ā€

and there is still no response on this issue. I have reloaded my addonsā€¦ scanned and repairedā€¦ uninstalled and re installed the gameā€¦ checked my own internetā€¦