Schannel ErrorTLS connection (Oct 2023)

Don’t worry about sending logs for now. I don’t know why its working for some but now others. We do have a decent sample for now. At this point however the issue should be better. Try logging in as I suggested above, and see if that works to get you back to playing.

Just logged in to Battle.net. Still getting errors.

Edit:

Errors occurs only once uppon logging. Before it was every 5 min.

I tried again now with closed bnet app and after 30min playing I can say I had no freeze this time and in log I see only one error (uppon logging). Need more time to test but there is a hope that is my solution ^^

edit: errors occurs only once uppon logging, the game is more stable but sometimes still freezing for shorter time 2-3sec, but no doubt its a difference between previous issues.

Still having this schannel error even when closing battle.net. While the game is loading it freezes 1/4 through the load screen and blue screens the computer. Only indication in event viewer is the aforementioned error.

So I left my computer on and went to sleep and came back to a shutdown PC. Looking at the logs at around 6am it fell over itself. Further confirmed by the power meter connected in line. Never happens.
I’m guessing this is why people were checking their event logs and what brought us all here…

This morning I opened up bnet and saw 2 Schannel errors right away. Will edit if it keeps on spamming.

Btw I’m surprised this error would be able to hang a computer

Edit: After ~30mins no new Schannel error. So right now it seems it’s only happening on launch of the client

1 Like

Hi,

i am having the same issue. Disabled Schannel logging for now and hope that there will be a fix soon.

With a change Blizz just pushed it the error should be much less common as the app now only checks once a week if BlizzCon is live instead of every 5 minutes, but hopefully the underlying issue of the outdated certificate will be fixed before Friday. :smiley:

Mine still checks every 5 minutes.

$ echo | openssl s_client -showcerts -connect api-cache.blizzcon.com:443
CONNECTED(000001AC)
depth=2 C = US, O = DigiCert Inc, OU = www.digicert.com, CN = DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, O = DigiCert Inc, OU = www.digicert.com, CN = DigiCert SHA2 High Assurance Server CA
depth=0 C = US, ST = California, L = Irvine, O = "Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.", CN = *.blizzcon.com
verify error:num=10:certificate has expired
notAfter=May 20 12:00:00 2021 GMT
depth=0 C = US, ST = California, L = Irvine, O = "Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.", CN = *.blizzcon.com
notAfter=May 20 12:00:00 2021 GMT

three hyphens in a row creates a linebreak

Still got the Schannel issue

I’m currently also getting 2 Schannel 36881 errors in my log on start up. nothing repeating after that untill I reboot it.

I noticed this while trying to troubleshoot some crashes on my pc which have been going on for longer so probably unrelated but noticed this was a rather recent problem on the forum so I figured I drop my 2 cents.

Same here, my event viewer is also looking like this.

I had the same issue, no crashes but the event viewer was flooded by TLS errors. I switched battle net to beta version and it seems to have fixed the problem. No error until now.

Still two errors every time I log to the App.

It was fine all day yesterday after experiencing the schannel error the day before and it freezing and blue-screening my computer. It was on the load screen where it would freeze, today got in to the game was running around and then FREEZE>Blue Screen and

“The certificate received from the remote server has either expired or is not yet valid. The TLS connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.
The SSPI client process is Battle.net (PID: 9592).”

I quickly checked to see if I was still experiencing the Schannel error, and unfortunately, I still am. I played for a couple of minutes, killing some vampires, and then decided to live a little more dangerously by opening my inventory. To my dismay, my game froze instantly and went straight to the desktop.

The Event Viewer is showing the Schannel error.

However, there is also a crash without the Schannel error. It simply displays an “application error,” and I was so ready to attribute it to the Schannel error.

I’m certain that some of the crashes are linked to these Schannel errors, but others seem to be caused by something else.

I’m wondering where I can seek assistance for these errors. This issue is specific to Diablo 4 and started with these Schannel errors.
regards,

Wow, wasn’t expecting this many people to have the same issue, thanks for everyone who posted and helping to get this fixed.

I can confirm I still get 2 errors on bnet launch but so far not seeing repeats unless others mentioned I restart the client.

Less spam now but the 2 errors are still there every time i log in wow . I even try the beta app and same problem.

Getting the same error, specifically "The certificate received from the remote server has either expired or is not yet valid. The TLS connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.
The SSPI client process is Battle.net (PID: 21644).

This happens most frequently in WoW Classic Era during flightpoints, and when trying to load my character in Diablo 4, for which in D4 I cannot get my character to load at all.

1 Like