Our vision is to help you achieve yours

I don’t want this post to be seen as pure criticism and I want to make it clear that I appreciate all the effort put into those APIs. However my suggestion is not targeted on new things, but on improvements on the currently available features.

Like @Erorus mentioned it is currently impossible to determine the meaning of bonus IDs for items (this affect both AH and character equipment endpoints) without having to rely 3rd party sources, but the data gap doesn’t stop there.

The item endpoint alone has a lot of duplicated and hard to find information, for instance you can only find out if an item has limited duration by parsing the preview_item field, this portion of the json can have many optional fields and they are really hard to find unless you iterate over the whole endpoint and check every response.

It would be very nice to have an official JSON schema or other kind of documentation for all API responses. Otherwise how is a new developer supposed to know what to expect and prepare a front-end for that information ?

Other useful documentation to have is all possible values for enumerators, like INVENTORY_TYPE, ITEM_QUALITY, etc

Another good example for this is the quest endpoint where the response may have many optional fields for rewards and reputation. Since we have to fetch all (at least one of each kind) responses to map them this can make it really hard to allow a developer to explore all possibilities.

In short: I think it would be better if we could have a better documentation on what is already available before new data is added.

Note: It would be nice to know what is the intended use and what to expect from each endpoint:

• Can we use the items endpoint for creating an item database or it is there only to act as a support endpoint for AH and equipment APIs ?
  • Will the creatures endpoint ever include all NPCs or just non combat pets and tameable creatures ?
5 Likes