[Main Thread] MW 2 won't start (BLZBNTBNA00000012)

BLZBNTBNA00000012 - typically due to corrupt app/game client data or interference from other software on the system
BLZBNTBNA00000015 - typically a bad compatibility setting for the shortcut used to launch, bad permissions, interference from other software on the system or corruption of the data for the app/client.

Both are typically solvable but may take a bit of troubleshooting to find and address the source.

Limitations with Blizzard Support for Activision titles.
In regards to Activision, we only handle the distribution of the game client for Activision. We will assist with anything related to the desktop application and anything with the game client that involves purchasing, activating, downloading/installing and launching. Anything that occurs after you can press the play button is going to be addressed through the Activision support portal: Support Options | Activision Support

As for the error you are seeing, This error indicates either data corruption in a way that the repair tool cannot fix, software conflicts, permission issues or network issues preventing access to the data the app needs for updates/repairs. The following steps should solve that issue though keep in mind it is intended to correct issues with the Blizzard App itself not the game client.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

From here we need to manually clear the Battlenet Desktop Application and all supporting data from the system. This will not remove existing game clients.

1. Open file explorer/file manager (Right Click Windows Start)
  2. Navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  3. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  4. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  6. Empty the recycle bin.
  7. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.

While I typically save this step as a sort of last resort due to the size of the game client, it does often solve issues like this where other steps sometimes fail.

1. Click Options (gear symbol next to the install/update/play button)
  2. Click Show in Explorer. (leave this window open while you perform step three.)
  3. Go back to Options and select Uninstall and go through the process to remove the core files and association to the desktop application. (Skip to step for if unable to perform this uninstall)
  4. Check the opened file explorer window to see if the game folder was deleted when the game was uninstalled. If it was not, delete the folder manually.
  5. Go back to the Blizzard App and reinstall the game client through the Blizzard App.

Note: Do not install the game client to an invalid directory. This includes the Battle.net Desktop Application’s own folder or any subfolder, Downloads, Desktop, Windows Temp. This also excludes any external, network or cloud based storage.

This should help solve the issue for you and get you back in and playing. Please note if you encounter any other issues once you can press the blue play button you will need to reach out to Activision through the portal I linked earlier.

1 Like

Hey Blue,

Thank you for the freedback but that did not resolve the issue.

3 Likes

Why do we need to troubleshoot and find a “solution” for a game we paid for?

We’re not Activision’s IT department. We are paying customers. If this problem reached the front news of the media, I guarantee you guys would roll out a hotfix update within a day.

I’m requesting a refund immediately. This is rediculous.

23 Likes

i cant believe i’ve paid to get this crap… my $7000 high end gaming laptop is not able to play this game… i should have bought it on ps5 instead… worst part their support sux as well… its been 2 weeks and they havent officially resovled this shaders optimization bug…

3 Likes

So yeah Modern Warfare 2 just wont launch and says Error BLZBNTBNA00000012
Tried all of the suggestions from Battle.net. I’m pretty pissed paid $75 for this crap.
If this isn’t fixed by the 28th I’ll be requesting a refund.

EDIT: Alright, so I’m not getting the error anymore. When I press “Play” it says “Launching” And after a few seconds says “Playing now” for around 10 seconds and goes back to “Play”

13 Likes

They don’t respond to refund either, I’ve been waiting almost 3 days.

1 Like

I have found a fix I think, I reinstalled my BIOS firmware, there might be an option in the BIOS conflicting with the game. But after reinstalling the bios, my game will now launch. Hope this fixes it for everyone else aswell.

EDIT - After looking through the BIOS and doing some trial and error, I believe the issue is AVX in cpu settings, make sure its set to auto and not disabled, this it what did it for me.

4 Likes

that worked for me thanks.

Go to the desktopt app from blizzard right click, go properties, After that you, Select the compatibility tab, Change settings for all users, then click run this program as administrator. Worked for me!

2 Likes

Doesn’t work for me man

I’m having the same issue none of the recommendations have worked.

can we get someone from blizzard to help us with this issue its genuinely frustrating to not be able to play on release date

1 Like

Hey Joey im not very PC literate. could you elaborate more? Thanks!!

1 Like

mine was already set to auto, what now?

I set the blizzard launcher to be run as an administrator, and this worked!! thanks

2 Likes

Do you mind elaborating on how to access the avx setting?
ty

1 Like

if you haven’t changed it before, then its probably already on auto, so this wouldn’t be your issue.

But for most motherboards the option would be in your advanced CPU settings in your bios.

I figured out a fix that worked for me and two of my friends. It doesnt sound like it’ll work but for some reason it does. All i had to do was change the name of the “call of duty” folder to something else, then take that whole folder and move it somewhere it. I moved mine from my “downloads” folder to my “games” folder and it started working. Give it a shot before you ask for a refund!

9 Likes

dude… THANK YOU SO MUCH BRO THIS WORKED. I TRIED EVERYTHING DUDE. Bless you, bless your family, bless your children and your children’s children. oh my god I can finally play it. THANK YOU

2 Likes

i try to change the name and the location of the folders but i didn’t work either and i don’t want to change something in the BIOS , COD won’t start , i’m probably request a refound if it’s didn’t work this week