Last update completely breaks wine compatibility

That’s not how that works though! An absurd amount of requests would need to be concurrently occurring to take out their login servers.

This is just my opinion but the amount of Linux users required, to cause a DDoS attack, is likely 100 times the size of the current user base. Whomever stated that is likely full of it.

4 Likes

Not to mention there would be no need for a DDOSer to be using Battle.net’s Agent.exe. So whatever changes Blizzard made to Agent.exe are almost guaranteed to NOT be DDOS related.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be a bunch of pesky Linux users DDoSing battle.net more likely a bug in the client that causes excessive requests that only happens on Linux/Wine. Much easier to ban Linux then fix their stuff.

But really it smells like bullsh*t anyway…

2 Likes

is there a proven method to do fresh install with this bug? i removed everything and stuck at 0%

@NiteFire i was able to install successfully with Lutris. Even after going to 0, I cancelled install and kept files. I was then able to launch via both Lutris and Steam (proton) and install WoW and play without issues.

cancel the wow install? its stalling for me on the battle.net installer at 0%…just stuck there and does not seem to write any files for me to modify later

Please fix. I will have to discontinue my subscription otherwise as I can’t play.

Game is still playable. Just need to run the direct exe from your wine/steam compatibility. If you don’t have the files you get them from a Windows PC and bring them over to steam deck to boot. Just ignore launcher for now.

1 Like

I have not had success with this method, keep getting an “incorrect version of the game” error when pointing directly to the Wowclassic.exe. Is there a step I’m missing to get around this error?

Sadly looks like your wow classic is out of date, so you will have to either run a super old wine to update battle.net (5.7 works according to reddit) or update through windows.

Random thing, even on windows I had to restart battle.net twice to get the “play” button to be clickable, so I honestly think there’s something wrong in general with the battle.net update, it’s just triggered more often on wine.

Because as of today, I’ll get the play button to click every few restarts of battle.net on wine.

❯ wine --version
wine-7.17.r13.g5013933e ( TkG Staging Esync Fsync )
1 Like

For anyone that doesn’t have a windows computer, you can always use something like Gnome Boxes, Virtual Machine Manager, or VirtualBox to run Window on. You then share the folder with your WoW install to the virtual machine, install battle.net, and let the windows version patch your files.

You can download the Windows 11 iso directly from Microsoft and use it in unlicensed trial mode.

For steam deck, that won’t work well, so a 2nd computer is key.

Bump
For visibility, I wanna play wow lazy mod on my bed

Just my luck I try to play WoW on the Deck after 12 years of not, only to encounter this debacle. Guess I’ll stay unsubbed even longer until this mess is sorted.

Would absolutely love to play Blizzard games on Steam Deck. Please help us!

Adding to this as another member of the Linux crew. I’d love to be able to play OW2 on Linux just as well as OW used to play.

1 Like

I have 3 Linux computers that cannot play any of our blizzard games (SC2, D2R, and HS at the moment). I would like to add to the request to get this fixed please.

The work-around from reddit fixed the issue for me. It would be great if Blizz supported Linux.

P.S. - I’ve run into a new issue with the PTR (Dragonflight-PrePatch)[Worried we won’t be playing DF on Linux]. I was playing on the PTR when the servers shut down earlier today. Battle.net downloaded an update(for the PTR). Now I am unable to open the game because it’s telling me I have an unsupported 3d accelerator. GPU is Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH OC. It’s more than capable of running WoW. I’m still able to play retail, wotlk beta, and classic wotlk pre patch just fine. Its only happening with the PTR client.

For whatever reason the ptr only runs when I start it with -d3d11legacy.

I put

-d3d11legacy

In Game options > Arguments and am getting the same unsupported 3d accelerator error :frowning:

1 Like