Installation/Update Issue

Hello everyone,

Game installations and updates hang endlessly just before finishing. They will download/install just fine until it gets to the last couple mbs, then will pause and act like it is still working. I have left it for hours once and it never finishes. Pausing it and resuming seems to make it think it’s done, but I have read even this is considered an interruption that results in missing files that have not actually downloaded/installed. This is quite believable, considering the fact that almost every Modern Warfare update results in the game not working.
Please fix.
Thank you.

1 Like

Hey Godvernment,

These issues are often caused by corrupted files or conflicts with other programs like anti-virus software. Try a clean reinstall of the Blizzard app:

1. Uninstall the Blizzard app
  2. Next open the temp locations and delete any Battlenet and Blizzard folders you see in each location. Press Windows Key + R and type:
    • %LOCALAPPDATA%
    • %APPDATA%
    • %TEMP%
    • %PROGRAMDATA%
  3. Finally go ahead and reinstall the app from here. Make sure you run as Admin.

Also make sure the Blizzard app is allowed as an exception in any anti-virus software. If that doesn’t help you may need to disable or temporarily uninstall that anti-virus software until the game is installed. You can always reinstall that software again once this is resolved.

3 Likes

Hello.

Thank you, I have reinstalled Battlenet using the steps above and my initial issue has been resolved!

However, there is a lesser issue that came to effect after reinstalling Battlenet. It appears to be using a separate placeholder taskbar icon when open (generic white page icon), rather than the actual Battlenet logo icon that is pinned to the task bar and that I click on to open it in the first place. I have tried unpinning and repinning the icons. Is there a known fix for this issue?

Thank you.

Hey there,

Normally unpin and repin should resolve that. I have seen players resolve it by creating a new admin account as well. Though the icon image should not impact the function of the app either way.

Hope the info helps!

Unfortunately, creating a new admin account and even opening the app from it’s install directory did not resolve the issue. I appreciate the help though.
Have a great holiday.

Howdy!

Two main ways to resolve this issue:

1. Right click on the blank Battle.net icon
  2. You should see from the bottom Close window → Pin to taskbar - > Battlenet with the blank icon as well
  3. Click on this blank icon you will be met with the “shortcut not found, delete?” message
  4. Say Yes then right click and close out of battle.net on the taskbar (fully not minimize)
  5. Reopen

Alternatively, try:

1. Right click on the taskbar button
  2. right click on “Battle.net” → click properties
  3. Click Change Icon…
  4. Click ok.

Thanks!

16 Likes

Today is the second time in 3 months where I found that my Battle.net installation has been corrupted and started not downloading games and updates fully. I’ve had Steam for 7 years and had never come across this issues. PLEASE FIX THIS as you are wasting hours of my time making me reinstall the client and games, which do take hours.

1 Like

Third time today after attempting to update modern warfare. Any updates? Any fixes? Am I talking to a wall here?

Godvernment,

Are you still having the same problem where you get hung up with just the last percent of the game? If so, you may be running into a somewhat common ISP problem where one of the files gets cached or blocked by a router somewhere between you and us. We are requesting details on this thread for Comcast/Xfinity install or update issues.

Did you at any point in time try installing using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to download that last bit? If you’re always getting stuck near the end, or at a certain point partway through the install, that’s usually the cause. You just want to use the VPN to download a couple MB of data (somewhere between 10-100 usually) and then you can swap back to your normal connection.

If it doesn’t work, you’ve been dealing with this for a while now. I’d recommend reaching out to our support squad directly. They should be able to get you back in action faster than waiting for replies.