Games not launching even though the Battlenet client says that the game is running

Since earlier this morning, I have been troubleshooting issues with Battlenet. I have reinstalled it, I have restarted, deleted, reinstalled and repeated these things. I dont know where else to turn for help. I can’t play any of the games that I own because the app will not actually launch them.

I will click “PLAY” and then it will say “Launching” and shortly after it will say that the game is running. Then, it will go back to the button saying “PLAY”. Please help, like I have said, I have been stuck on this all day long.

3 Likes

Hey AlphaMonster,

This is often caused by background programs causing a conflict, usually like security programs and antivirus software. Can you try disabling or temporarily uninstalling any of that software and test again?

Hey thanks! I have tried that, I have been at it since about 9 this morning Central time. I dont know what could be running in the background to keep it from performing correctly.

It may be helpful to do a selective startup in that case. Some Windows features like DVR and Gamebar can also block the game from launching. You could also try disabling Fullscreen Optimization. If none of that helps, we might want to get a DxDiag to see if there’s any specific problems or errors:

1. Press Windows Key + R.

2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.

3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.

4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save

5. Paste the DXdiag into the post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the (</>) button. That’ll make the information much more readable.

It should look like this.

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

pastebin (dot) com/AGgwKEAp

Hey AlphaMonster,

It looks like Modern Warfare is crashing in the logs and since our support for Call of Duty is limited to installing the game there isn’t much else we can suggest at thispoint. In this case please contact Activision for additional help. If you would like to request a refund, you can do so by going through this page.

I was afraid I would have to deal with them. That doesnt explain why it wouldnt launch Diablo either though. Any ideas?

I definitely do not want a refund, I have already put a ton of time into MW.

i would suggest that these issues popped up in my game right after the maintenance on tuesday. i think you broke it again. and leading us in circles trying to uninstall and restall junk.

1 Like

Come on now and get real! Blizzard has been having problems with logins and connectivity to MW for weeks now.
Be honest and atleast say Blizzard is lost and don’t know how to fix the problems just yet.

On my own behalf I’m seriously considering pulling my money from Activision and never playing your games again.

The only other thing I noticed is that you have Razer Chroma installed and this has prevented some games from launching. You can try the steps listed here to see if it helps. If not, then you could create a support ticket and include your MSinfo so we can continue troubleshooting the issues with Diablo launching.

I am also having this issue but it is with Wow and it consistently disconnects at the top left of the client, eventually I get in after having to try and start the game several times.
I posted the original issue here:

I initially thought I had found a solution but it has just started creating the problem again.

Found something that works for me.
The Secondary Logon service in Windows enables the starting of processes with alternative types of user credentials. That’s a required prerequisite service for Battle.net’s agent. So, check Secondary Login is enabled and running like this:

1. To open Services, click the search box or magnifying glass on your Windows 11/10 taskbar. Type services.msc in the search box, and select the Services app.

2. Double-click Secondary Logon to view the properties window for that service.

3. Set the Startup type option to Automatic.

4. Click the Start service button for Secondary Logon.

5. Remember to select Apply to save the setting.

6. Select OK to exit the Secondary Logon Properties window.

7. Try launching Battle.net games again. If this doesn’t fix the issue immediately (it did for me), Restart Windows 11/10.

8. If you find Secondary Logon is already enabled, restart the service instead. Right-click Secondary Logon on the Services window to select Restart. Or you can click Stop and Start in the service’s properties window.

Hope that helps.