Diablo 2 - VPN Ban

Its not using a vpn that bothers me, its the insane 2 week ban that comes with forgetting to shut it off 1 time.

CS could listen to appeals from legit players and remove their temporary ban. I know this is possible.

No, they really can’t. The ban is hard coded in the server software that CS has no access to!

Like I said, CS really really can’t do anything about it. Do not confuse modern Bnet 2.0 and other Blizzard games with how things work on the old Bnet.

They are vastly different.

I actually agree with you on this. VPN use is very common for basic security reasons and even comes default with some security addons and software.

If Blizz wants to do this, they need a giant warning to prevent folks from logging in with a VPN and getting the ban in the first place. Same with all the other things that can trigger the anti cheat software like using a business ISP connection, rapid game switching, etc.

1 Like

YES exactly. Its the new players coming in that dont know about this due to lack of any kind of transparency.

I have seen so many people on discord try to play d2, get a 2 week ban, and give up! a seriously crazy number of people!

This is why im trying to get it fixed. I forgot to shut off my VPN but I knew about it whatever Im banned for 2 weeks. But what about the people trying to see D2 because of resurrected that will never get to.

Its terrible business practice.

1 Like

I think this is very reasonable to ask for. Having a warning so people can double check their settings BEFORE getting banned, would be a good idea.

I also think that comes down to the game devs though. Not sure on old Bnet where they could insert a warning.

They don’t have the new launcher for old Bnet. Our new launcher has all sorts of browser type news and annoucements that are perfect.

The old game launcher that D2/LoD uses has none of those things and once you click the button to log on to Bnet that is it - you hit the detection software.

I have a bad feeling they would have to re-do the launcher totally in order to implement a block to the Closed bnet launcher, a warning you have to accept, then log in.

They COULD put it on the website though so that when you download D2/LoD to install it gives you the list of restrictions. That would help new and returning players to at least have a chance of seeing it.

Anything would be better than nothing, Having a warning when you download the game pop up is an excellent idea, I think that would prevent a large number of these problems.

Being an MVP idk if you have Blizzards ear or not but please make this recommendation to them!

2 Likes

I can only talk to the Community Managers who go around the forums and other public media collecting feedback. I can’t talk to the Dev teams myself.

I can try to push this to the CMs though. A warning of some sort would really help alleviate a lot of the frustration. Right now all this does is make people assume D2R is going to be as difficult. It won’t be - but they don’t know that.

1 Like

the diablo 2 servers was made at a time where only criminals used VPNs. now that more people use VPNs, the server programmers should change the code. when trying to connect, users should be told that they have VPN and then told to turn it off. that can be programmed into the client. the warning can arrive on the diablo 2 menu.

1 Like

You are right, but that would mean getting them to change really really old software. Normally they focus more on the new stuff. Not sure they are willing to invest time and money into changing the old code.

D2R won’t run into those issues because it is on the new Bnet 2.0.

Your solution would be much easier and almost as effective @MissCheetah, I think if you propose a simple clean solution its much more likely to be accepted and used.

Instead of being reminded everytime you play which would be ideal, The notice when you download the game would at least make the players aware of it.

It is much more likely that we (players) can get the Web team to put in a warning on the download page than to get the Diablo team to re-write a 21 year old launcher.

So, that is the suggestion I will make. When I make suggestions I try to focus on the initial problem (frustration at the VPN ban), and the most inexpensive fix for staff in both time and money. It is easier for the team to get management sign off that way. Think of suggestions at things you have to “sell” to management.

1 Like

they have to change the client while they are building it into resurrected. they can include the warning in one of those patches.

D2R will not use the old launcher or servers. It will launch using the modern Bnet desktop launcher that all the other Blizz games use and run on modern Bnet architecture.

Those restrictions don’t apply to D2R.

i never said server or launcher, i said client. the client will be changed along the way and they can add a warning to that.

I don’t think you understand. The VPN warning only applies to old Diablo 2 (2000) and LoD (2001) which stay on the old Battlenet.

The client for that is not changing. Not at all. It stays exactly as it is.

D2R is what changes and it has no restrictions on VPNs anyway because it is on modern Battlenet.

you clearly do not understand here. in order to create diablo 2 resurrected, they need to patch the old client in order to get there.

sigh

The original client for D2 (2000) and LoD (2001) is not being changed. Not at all. Period. That will continue to exist exactly as it is.

Yes, D2R is changed. D2R does not have VPN restrictions. There is no need to put a warning in it. So that change is not being made.

What you want is for them to make a separate new change to the old client. Something they are not likely to do.

they can not create diablo 2 from scratch. doing that would take several years. it is the same way as with warcraft 3 reforged, which was created by patching the original warcraft 3. during the patching process of diablo 2, while it still runs on the old servers, they can put a warning in it against VPN.

I want confirmation from someone at Blizz that I am IP banned or temp banned and for what reason. I refuse to believe the ban cannot be lifted.

As you reps have explained, these features will not be present in D2R - as such, someone at Blizz needs to be able to remove BS bans on people not cheating or botting. If I’m forced to have 10 mules to check between to find that piece of gear I need cuz I levelled, and I hit 20 games in an hour doing that and then trying to find a good match to play in, I shouldn’t be punished. Blizz should remove those bans after a cursory review.

the ban will likely end after a certain time but, you can play single player or lan in the mean time. i do not however believe that mules is allowed. at least it is not allowed in world of warcraft. i am not really sure about the diablo 2 rules but, they are unlikely to be less strict than world of warcraft.

It’s bullsh*t. I did nothing wrong

1 Like