Diablo 2 Access Violation c0000005

I recently installed Diablo 2 and I keep getting the Access Violation error c0000005. I’ve done my own troubleshooting and checked all over the internet for a solution and tried all the ones I’ve seen listed: running it in administrator, windowed mode, installing glide, making the DEP exception, uninstalling and reinstalling to several different locations, but nothing seems to work.

I’ve installed it using the downloader provided by Blizzard and that version didn’t work; then I tried downloading the 1.14d patch from Blizzard and that removes the error but causes my game to crash and gives me another error. Anybody know what the problem could possibly be?

I am using Windows 10 64-bit

c0000005 is usually indicative of a conflict - with a driver, other program, or the permissions for your windows account. In rare cases it can indicate memory issues or a bad game install. Other than what you’ve already tried, here’s what I’d suggest.

  1. Make sure your windows and graphics drivers are both up to date
  2. Close all applications other than the game
  3. Uninstall any security you’re running temporarily if nothing else works. Make sure to restart your PC after doing this to clear background tasks.

If you finish step 3 and still have trouble, reinstall and see if it is better after. If you’re still having trouble after this troubleshooting, please generate a text copy of your DxDiag using these instructions. Once you have that made, open the file. Copy the code below, then copy/paste everything from that DXDiag file between the rows of tilde (~) marks where it says “DXDiag goes here.”

~~~~
DXDiag goes here
~~~~

If the file’s too large to submit, you can upload it to a file hosting site like pastebin and post the link in the code above instead.

Tried updating my drivers and OS, uninstalled any virus protection software and disabled windows defender, reinstalled but still no luck so far. Pasted below is a link to my dxdiag

https://pastebin.com/BdRzrWcg

By the looks of things it may have something to do with your HP Omen Packet Capture software. I’d uninstall any HP Omen software on your PC that you don’t actively use - Especially Omen Command Center. It’s typically not needed. Any luck that way? If not, snag a new DXDiag and we’ll see if new errors happen.

I uninstalled any HP or Omen related things and still no luck unfortunately, here’s an updated dxdiag

https://pastebin.com/KNvh4WZ7

Scudstorm,

Still not seeing a lot else that’s super glaring here. I’d try playing from a new admin account and see if it runs that way. If that fails, we probably need more information than I can collect on the forums. In that case I’d recommend submitting a ticket instead so we can collect your MSinfo file as well. (It has some info in it that we prefer to not collect via forums for privacy reasons.) If you have to go this route, let them know what you’ve already tried and link this thread so folks can see what you’ve already gone through with me.

Running it on a new Administrator account works; undesirable solution but it’ll have to do, thank you for your time and help :slight_smile:

Scudstorm,

Glad this fixes it - if that does handle the problem, it means there’s something going on with the registry of your old account which messed up your permissions over Diablo II. Usually when I see that, your best bet is to move your files to the new account and delete the old one. You can also contact Microsoft for help fixing the registry of the old account. Alternately, a windows reinstall should fix anything in the registry, though that is more extreme.