DIABLO 2 ACCESS VIOLATION C0000005 Solution Guide

Hey there traveler, stay a awhile and listen,

to make this guide as quickly and easy as possible I’ll show you now the steps you have to do to play Diablo 2 on Windows 10!

First step: Install the Game where ever you want. First D2 and then LoD. If you downloaded and installed the game you should now have an Icon on your Desktop (Diablo II - Lord of Destruction).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Secound step: // Now we get to the Important stuff.

You rightclick on your Diablo II Icon and go to properties.

On properties you go under the tab “compatibility” here you only make a checkmark under “run the program as administrator”.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Third step: You go back under the tab “shortcut” here you copy this and paste it behind your destination path.

-w -nofixaspect

For example: “D:\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe” -w -nofixaspect

The reason here is: -w makes your game windowed and -nofixaspect allows you to enlarge that window.

Fourth step: You can now start the game it starts to ask you if you wanna run the program as administrator. You click yes!

// IMPORTANT: You hold you’re ALT Key on you’re keyboard when you click yes!

If you don’t hold your ALT Key you will get the ACCESS VIOLATION C0000005 Error.

END: I tryed so many things to start this old game and found this solution after 5 Days by myself. I found nothing on the internet that helped so I thought I show you my way.

Why does this only works when you hold your ALT Key? I dunno I think it will Skip the Error or don’t allow it to pop up.

// SIDENOTE: If you klick Ingame on Battle.net the game downloads all patches you need, after this the game will crash. Now you can restart the game and click on Battle.net to play online!

I hope this guide helped you, if you have any question or any problems I try my best to answer and help.

“A New Ally Has Joined the Game but the minions of Hell grow stronger.”

4 Likes

Omg you saved me, thanks

Edit: It seems that any long pressed key while clicking yes works

My savior! Lomain i luv u

Dude I lurked on all kinds of forums trying to find a solution and this is the only think that worked. How did you find this out? I was even able to remove -w and use svens 3dfx glider and increase the graphics long as I hold that alt button when I give it permission.

Everything I tried is in that post above.

admins need to sticky this post. I dropped a link on my post to bring people here. Thanks man, you are doing the lords work.

Hi, I did all yours intructions but still nothing…i dont know what is a problem. I downloaded this version from blizzard 1.14b ( installer) what is weird normal d2 is running but when i want to install d2lod this error is coming whatever i do…do you have any idea what can be a reason? In compatibility optoins i have “administrator mode” but which compatibility should i set there? right now i have “Windows XP service pack 3” and we are talking about the same shortcut which was created on deskopt after the installation (“If you downloaded and installed the game you should now have an Icon on your Desktop (Diablo II - Lord of Destruction”). tell me if im wrong.

2 Likes

First Thank you. the game now starts up and runs but i ether cannot or dont know how to enlarge the window. i have tryed to drag the edges. I checked the in game video settings. How do i enlarge the window?

Its not working for me.