D2 Temporary IP Restriction?

Summary

:wave: Hello, I’m a customer who has purchased Diablo II and Diablo II: LOD and am currently unable to access Battle net

I am under the belief that this is dude to a temporary restriction as described in this support post support/en/article/000119708

However, I have been unable to confirm this so if a blizzard support person reads this and can confirm my suspicions please do :pray: .

Exact Issue

The exact issue I see is a prolonged time in Checking version... when trying to connect to Battle net (for any gateway!). This is followed up by a Battle.net is not responding. Please try connecting again in a few minutes.

I initially suspected this was related to the DDOS affecting blizzard services from 11/14 but that does not seem to be the case.

Suspicion :male_detective: :eye:

One of the problems with this scenario is that there is a very weak feedback loop with the issue here.

I suspect a temporary IP restriction for the following reason

• Both me and another user on the same network connection were unable to access Battle net
  • There is a restriction on VPNs which, by default, I always have automatically activated for my computer (From the above article: Connecting to Battle.net using a business network, cloud hosting service, VPN, or Proxy)

Problems and Asks

I personally love Diablo II and am just trying to play this game with a friend of mine that just got into the game.

I understand that preventing hackers, abusers, and bots is a very important and difficult problem that is especially hard to deal with when dealing with a codebase developed almost 20 years ago, but I have some questions and suggestions about the current process.

User Messaging :mega:

There seems to be no messaging to user on whether or not they are restricted. Reading across threads in this area it seems like a very common point of confusion.

If a blizzard support employee reading this can confirm that I am restricted (and if possible for how long!). I would greatly appreciate it. :pray:

It would be great to get a better message in game or a relevant email. A link to this support page support/en/article/000119708 on the connection errors, even if not confirmed to be the issue, would be incredibly helpful

User Instructions :open_book:

The error mentions trying again in a few minutes. It’s been ~24hours and I’m seemingly still restricted so the messaging from the game isn’t the best here.

The instructions on the support page are not necessarily clear either:

If you find that your connection has been temporarily restricted, you should reinstall your game client and wait 24 hours before attempting to log back in. If your connection is still restricted, you must wait for the restriction to end or acquire new IP address

If it’s not up in 24 hours the instructions are to wait for the restriction to end
which is certainly lacking in specificity. Something like maximum duration I should expect here would be incredibly useful. Am I looking at 2 days :question: A week :question: A month :question: A year :question: 20 years :question: A rough edit to this support page to add a maximum limit here would help a lot with expectations.

Outdated restrictions & messaging :no_bicycles:

Some restrictions are pretty obviously things you are not supposed to do and would expect restrictions over. For example, anyone banned for Attempting to use an invalid CD-key or Attempting to use a hacked or modified game client to log in to Battle.net

However, Connecting to Battle.net using a business network, cloud hosting service, VPN, or Proxy is something that surprises as a restriction for a service in 2019.

Things like VPNs are now incredibly common. I’ve set my computer up to always automatically connect to VPNs. Will the lack of cloud hosting mean that D2 is NEVER going to be an option for services like Stadia?

I understand the idea behind the restriction and that it may be way too difficult to change at this point but could we at least at some sort of messaging to let me know to disable my vpn before I hop online? If you can’t update the game put it in the install instructions or something in a :warning: noisey alert in large text alert :warning: .

VPNs and proxied network traffic are common place enough nowaday that totally normal users are going to get caught and restricted unnecessarily.

tl;dr

I think am IP restricted because a VPN I think (but have no way to tell??)

If I could get unrestricted so I could work on my new lightning sorc that would be :+1::cloud_with_lightning::+1:

3 Likes

Blizzard can’t control their own system. They are unable to remove restrictions.

Dropping a fat bump on this.

[Edited by Blizzard] This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.