Can't Download Original WC3 or TFT

I want to download the classic WarCraft III Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne, so I went under Games & Subscriptions, scrolled down to Classic Games, clicked on the link that says “Download Game Client” for WC3 and TFT which takes me to Downloads – Blizzard Entertainment. I click on the Windows icon next to WarCraft III Reign of Chaos and WarCraft III The Frozen Throne, but they both just download the “Warcraft-III-Setup” which is for WC3 Reforged. I don’t own Reforged and don’t care to buy it or play it. I want to play the classic games that I own.

2 Likes

Hey KsE,

Despite what’s listed on the downloads page, pre-Reforged WC3 is not officially available from Blizzard.

However, there’s a community made thread here that you can check out for possible alternatives. It’s been a while since the thread was made so there’s no telling how accurate or useful it still is.

1 Like

I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I own these games. I registered their serial numbers with Blizzard as soon as they made the option available because my original CDs were scratched and I was able to download them to play before.

In any case, thanks for the reply.

Hey KsE,

Officially we no longer support playing the original RoC or TFT client. When Reforged released the game client was updated to the Reforged version, which includes both the Reforged assets and the original versions of the game. Both the RoC and TFT campaigns are available in the Reforged client.

Since you have the original game CD keys tied to your Battle.net account you would have access to the classic (non-HD) version of the game through the Reforged client. Download and install Warcraft III through the Battle.net desktop app, then hit the Play button to launch the game.

Once in-game if you open up the Options menu you will see a toggle switch at the bottom left with Classic selected, and Reforged greyed out. So you will still be able to play the RoC and TFT content with Classic graphics.

Hopefully that clears things up!

2 Likes

This worked, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Bless and have a wonderful holiday Jambrix.

Where can I download the original RoC and TFT client if Blizzard no longer offers any support to their classic game?

I don’t own Reforged either, nor want too after it was such a disappointment, not to mention it’s EULA and T&C are extremely restrictive to mod support. (It’s not the communities fault Blizzard didn’t buy the rights to DOTA2 when they had the chance)

I’ve also noticed they made changes to the classic version, it no longer has the original sounds to many units, such as the human guard towers, not only that but the Reforged launcher takes up a lot more space than the original launcher, all of these are changes I don’t want.

So how am I supposed to download the original launcher so I can play the games I legally own? Blizzard shouldn’t pull support for their classic games, there’s no reason too.

I hope Blizzard has learned from all of this, you don’t cut corners with remasters/remakes. Just take a look at Halo 2 Anniversary or Resident Evil 2/3 remake. THAT’S HOW IT’S DONE.
Also, stay away from the term “reforged” it’s confusing, is WC3 RF a remake? A remaster? What is it supposed to be? That’s unclear, other than the fact it did a poor job of it.

Reforged was clearly just a quick money grab attempt. If you’re going to make a remake, you start at the beginning, Warcraft 1 and 2 are both great games that deserve remakes. They should have come before Warcraft 3. But to pull support of Warcraft 3 classic? Dick move Blizzard, dick move.

Leviathan’s earlier post in this thread contained a link to an unofficial community run thread with some possible download options. That is currently your only means to use the older launcher version.

If you don’t want to do that, then you would need to claim the keys to your Bnet account then use the current client to access the older content - as detailed in the Blue directions. This would be free, as the client would recognize the keys on your Bnet account that you owned and claimed.