BLZBNTBNA00000005 - Battle.net Update Agent went to sleep

I haven’t had any issues with the launcher or games launching, however the last couple days I’ve had my Battle.net Update Agent running Very High power usage. I hear my fans rev up every couple of seconds for about 1-2s then back down. About 6-7% CPU usage but drawing a ton of power. Wiped literally every bit of Blizzard software including games from my system and reinstalled the app but still happening. Not sure what’s causing it on my end but I haven’t changed literally anything about my system to cause it to happen. It just wasn’t doing it one day, and was the next. I do have MWB so not sure if that’s what’s doing it or not. Set Agent to admin will see if that fixes it or not and update later.

EDIT: Running as Admin did not fix the high power usage, however as soon as I shut down MalwareBytes the power and CPU usage immediately dropped to almost nothing. So if you’re having a similar issue and are running MWB give that a shot.

1 Like

I was having the same problems with Battle.net launcher. I added Battle.net launcher.exe and Battle.net.exe to malewarebytes allow list and restarted the launcher. Works fine for me now. hope this helps someone.

Cheers

1 Like

exact same problems in the last couple of days, and I use MalwareBytes too. Tried upgrading to MalwareBytes 5 from 4, didn’t help. Battle.net Update Agent looks to be pegging the CPU, I get the “Battle.net Update Agent went to Sleep” message in the Launcher. When I quit MalwareBytes, immediately that message goes away and the Launcher works normally, and my CPU goes back down to normal temp. Something has changed in the past couple of days, either with MW Bytes or the Launcher, but not sure where the problem lies. I do have a newish Battle.net Agent as of yesterday.

1 Like

If you are running Malwarebytes, turn off the Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center option under Security > Windows Security Center.

5 Likes

So far this has worked for me. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue where Battlenet hangs on “BLZBNTBNA00000005 (Battle.net Update Agent went to sleep. Attempting to wake it up…)” for 1m41s to 2m23s before loading. Turning Mbam off lets it load instantly. I do not get the CPU ramp that others have listed. Register option has always been on. This started recently. Doesn’t matter if you run as admin or not. I don’t know if there’s an effect in game under high intensity play, as I haven’t raided yet this week.

1 Like

To clarify, the option to “turn off the Always register Malwarebytes” option is in Malwarebytes > Settings > Security for me (Malwarebytes premium 4.6.10-which should be latest as of writing this). Basically what this does is switches the AV to Windows Defender from MBAM in the security center but MBAM is still running, which is interesting since I was always told you don’t need 2 AV software and they could conflict.

After almost 4 days now of troubleshooting everything related to what has been mentioned here and else where, this is the solution that finally allowed COD MW2 DMZ to launch successfully. It is concerning that there is an issue with MBAM, especially after cyber attacks in the past few weeks. I’ve sent multiple bug reports to Blizzard and Activision but there aren’t any tickets to follow-up with (which is a huge issue). If someone from Blizzard reads this, I will be more than happy to help troubleshoot why there is a conflict with MBAM.

I wish there was a poll to see how many of the people on here that have issues, also have MBAM running with that setting to see if that is the common link.

4 Likes

Same for me. Prior to that the games were randomly just ending to desktop. Reinstall of battlenet was painful and slow. Couldnt even uninstall it!

Thank you that worked after WEEKS of not being able to play. I know i hate call of duty but im still in grief from losing good warzone.

the fix with Malwarebytes worked for me as well, previously did everything that was told with reinstalling and such, nothing worked, neither battle net nor a game really worked…then i changed the setting in Malwarebytes and it’s been running smoothly since

Thanks! This solved my isses.

This worked…thank you

Hey guys. So, here’s the problem. I’ve got Norton and haven’t got Malwarebytes and Battle.net giving me this problem. Any ideas what I can do now?

@Miziol7:

Make sure you’re running the latest version of Norton… you’re the first player to report this error with Norton.

Have you tried to shut Norton down completely or, even, to uninstall it ?

If that doesn’t solve it, then your problem is different… start with the standard troubleshooting for that error; create a new topic if the troubleshooting doesn’t help.

Turning Norton off didn’t help. However I’ve discovered something strange. I’ve deleted file called “Agent.8621”. Suprisingly it helped. Try you too, maybe this is the cause of this problem. I know it’s risky, but it’s worth trying. I will answer if my games out there are working.

Disabling the “Always Register MalwareBytes in Windows Security Center” fixed this issue for me. However, I’ve been using MalwareBytes for more than a year and had no issues with Battle.NET as recently as two hours ago. What caused this to suddenly start happening out of the blue? I couldn’t even uninstall the Battle.Net launcher to reinstall. Had I not stumbled across this topic I’d still be trying to figure out how to fix this.

1 Like

Thank you, I just did the same thing and it solved this Battle.net problem, but I feel insecure disabling MalwareBytes in Windows Security Center, does it mean my computer has no virus protection if that is disabled ?

this worked for me. thanks

Same issue, same error message.
I haven’t run MBAM in years so that’s not what caused mine.
Deleting the ‘C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.8621’ folder resolved the issue for me as well.

Just got this issue and turning off Mbam fixed it.