Disable Voice and Text - Reports Have Killed It

Ok I had my account suspended (again) yesterday and everything said was just normal ‘gamer banter’.

I wasn’t telling people to off themselves or being racist and I’ve been suspended. I’m getting suspended for using swear words……yeah all the channels are being disabled in future the report culture of Overwatch has become its downfall.

I’ve completed the battlepass so I guess that was a bonus but the ‘safe space’ brigade has made Overwatch voice chat and text chat a place for zero banter. We have reached a place where if someone kills you in a meme way and types ‘lol’ that is deemed as toxic and can be reported.

The report culture of this game is literally out of control. If you say anything someone doesn’t agree with and it could be construed to be ‘bad’……expect reports from those people who really shouldn’t be online on their own.

17 Likes

They’re not going to change it any time soon either. Acquiring a new account is easy which hits multiple boxes for him.

1. New account metrics allow them to say braindead things like “Nearing 100 million accounts uwu”

2. Repurchase battlepasses on alts from banned mains

3. Actions taken metrics. They can boast about how they’re doing anything to promote a healthy gaming environment.

4. Report system is a venting mechanic for players that’s been proven to have an impact on the game, so people are more likely to keep playing if they know there’s a chance that someone who irritated them will get suspended.

My account was suspended for no reason given (historically suspensions were accompanied with “Abusive Chat” in which I’ve just stopped talking to people for the most part). This time around there’s no reason that I can imagine other than having 12 hours played as Sombra in a short span of time. I was catching a lot of hate just for playing the character. Absolutely wild that it led to a suspension.

8 Likes

Translation: I tried to be toxic, but people I played with had nothing of it so now I am suspended.

15 Likes

Never have never will. I’m going to solo queue ranked Lucio in voice chat til my dying days

5 Likes

But looking at how you speak here on the forums, I think you are safe… unlike some toxic people (-;

2 Likes

That’s bait

11 Likes

The fact that you are using this phrase tells me you are far more toxic than you think.

11 Likes

The fact that you think that phrase is ‘toxic’ shows me that you are exactly the type of person I’m talking about. You probably go out of your way to be offended by jokes at a comedy night you paid to go and watch.

As I said, welcome to ‘woke’ gaming and Overwatch is leading the charge.

5 Likes

OW has been a pretty gay game for a while

6 Likes

I’ve always had to be awake to play games :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

It’s Blizzards fault for allowing power hungry control freaks to get their way for throwing tantrums. It’s like if a child throws a tantrum and the parents give them what they want to shut them up, they’ve guaranteed the child is going to keep throwing tantrums to get their way.

This is the environment Blizzard created. They do it for the game, they do it on this forum. It’s never going away.

1 Like

Ah, there it is.

Looks like you deserved it. Hopefully you don’t come back.

12 Likes

Reporting people for things that aren’t technically reportable is a thing and people need to stop denying it. If you play a hero somebody doesn’t like or that somebody finds “annoying”, there are people that report you for it.

People do report you out of pettiness. I’m sure I commented on a thread not long ago that there was a twitter post I found while scrolling through my feed and there were literally people admitting they report someone just because they found the hero they played “annoying” (I believe it was referencing Doom if I remember rightly)

And there was someone else that said they knew they shouldn’t report people, but they do it anyway :man_shrugging: :joy:

Now of course, I can’t link that post because I’d have no idea how to even find it now - so there is just my word for it :sweat_smile:

Now in most cases, I would easily imagine that the reports are deserved/justified. But to deny that the opposite isn’t happening and does seem to be increasing in numbers (however small) is a bad thing.

I’d just like to make it clear, I have absolutely no idea in the case of OP - they could have been toxic, they might not have been :man_shrugging: I have absolutely no idea

7 Likes

Oh it definitely happens. People even here on these forums have said as much.

Based on their attitude, it seems highly unlikely they were reported for “no reason.”

2 Likes

I watched a video on youtube where a group of guys in the 80’s went to a gas station, with one of those old school camcorders, and recorded themselves asking random questions to the employees and customers that walked in.

One of the guys made a joke to one of the female employees about undressing, a joke she laughed at, but sure enough someone in the comments said “I hope she pressed charges on that guy for sexual harassment!”.

Such a contrast between how people were in the 80’s and now. Back then you could walk into a 7-11, interview random people, make some jokes, and everyone smiled and laughed. Today people want that person arrested.

It’s truly insane. It’s why so many stand up comedians refuse to do shows on college campuses, so many young people that have been trained to be perpetually offended.

3 Likes

i wana be safe to! i do chat les! more saying hey i am lvl 404 torb open profile + mytic title

1 Like

Any place I’m in will always be a safe space for Roly

3 Likes

Well I had a warning few weeks back saying that I have been reported multiple times for inappropriate text chat.

Been playing fpp games since quake 2 and this was the first time I had something like that, which lead me to belive that either reporting system is off or players are ? Either way I turned text chat off, no issue since.

1 Like

You can stop impersonating real Roly now!

4 Likes

Yeah tough luck that’s just OW culture. My theory is by welcome and embracing LGBT EXPLICITLY it has become part of this gaming community’s culture and with that we see the rise to THE MOST sensitive gaming community (possibly ever). It does not matter if what you were saying was genuinely terrible or toxic… Did you hurt a strangers feeling? Even in the slightest? Than your GUILTY and too bad blizzard don’t care. Trash talk is part of any competitive culture and frankly I love it, I adore when I’m called trash or someone says “diff” in chat just gives me more reason to lock in but that’s not the culture blizzard wants the babys must feel “safe”

2 Likes