Zygor what happend?

Just watching Twich, a comment came out that the use of zygor is prohibited, does anyone know something about it?

Zygor runs afowl of the addon policy because it’s useless unless you pay for it, which Blizzard does not allow. All addons must be free. Zygor thinks they’re being clever by allowing you to download the addon for free, but they lock all the content behind a paywall.

However despite this, Blizzard has yet to take any action against Zygor Guides.

Either way if you’re using the addon you’re not going to get banned or anything. Use of the addon isn’t the problem.

5 Likes

The use of it isn’t prohibited, what they are trying to do with the mod is in the “grey area” that Blizzard put forth about “premium” features for mods.

1 Like

The thing that blows my mind is that anyone needs an add on to help them complete quests, free or not.

6 Likes

I use Zygor and I pay for it, but I’m the very definition of lazy.

Also it’s not about using it for quests, I have ran through every variation of this game at least once, sometimes more without using the addon. I use it for alts, for old world stuff, for making it quicker and easier to do things.

Like how I am doing Loremaster, I really, REALLY cannot be bothered to sift through Wowhead and collect all the quests when you don’t need them. It just makes it easier to get old stuff done.

TSM is also in violation of the add on policy.

You don’t “need” it, but it speeds up leveling. Nowadays, this isn’t a problem, but prior to the level cap squish, it was really handy.

I was a long time Zygor user (I’m an alt-holic) until they went to a subscription model. It used to be that you bought Zygor and you were done for that expansion. They then switched to a subscription model, and that is where we parted ways. I could not even access the older guides I had purchased.

I didn’t even know Zygor was still a thing. I had pretty much forgotten about it sometime during Mists or Warlords.

Yeah, if the giant map indicators, and the monster tooltip doesn’t help you enough, maybe idle games would suit a person better, lol.

Because people would share, and still do share the addon for free. The subscription change just makes it harder to share, but it’s still possible.

Honestly if someone is going to put in their time to give me a seamless experience for either my main or alt, than I don’t mind. We would not have most of what we have now if people didn’t do what they do for free, and there is a lot that people do and for something like Zygor and Dugi Guides (which is in the same boat as Zygor), there is A LOT of information in there, a lot more than I would have ever known if I didn’t have the guides.

Blizzard need to get their act together, because if not for the countless users who collect all the data we would all be stuffed.

No, not at all. TSM can actually be used, in its entirety, for free. The addon is not crippled or useless unless you pay for it. In fact, nothing that TSM Premium offers is necessary for the addon to run at all.

Where as with Zygor, aside from ‘starter’ guides, which are essentially trials, everything else the addon offers, from its Chromie Time levelling guides for each expansion, the Shadowlands guides, all the mount/pet functionality etc. It’s all locked behind that premium paywall.

2 Likes

Go read through the Mythic Raid tools threads from the beginning of SL for the discussions surrounding the add on policy. TSM isn’t in compliance with the policy just as Carbonite wasn’t way back when.

I doubt many people fall into this category, maybe people with vision impairment

Again, nothing that TSM premium offers is necessary for the addon to run. The addon can be downloaded and used in its entirety, for free. Meaning that no, it isn’t violating the addon policy.

The addon policy is fairly clear:

1. AddOns must be free of charge.
  2. AddOn code must be completely visible.
  3. AddOns must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.
  4. AddOns may not include advertisements.
  5. AddOns may not solicit donations.
  6. AddOns must not contain offensive or objectionable material.
  7. AddOns must abide by World of Warcraft ToU and EULA.
  8. Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable AddOn functionality as it sees fit.

Now as far as I am aware, nothing in TSM falls afoul of that policy.

Carbonite on the other hand fell afoul of the addon policy when Blizzard announced that it was a thing, because it had a premium version that had functionality that the free version didn’t have and it was advertising the premium version within the free version. That changed after the addon policy was revealed, with the premium version of Carbonite being terminated and the entire addon moving over to a ‘free for everyone but accepting donations’ model.

Some of the TSM QQ team might disagree with policy 3 :laughing:

1 Like

Well sadly for them, 3 is more focused on creating lag or disrupting the servers, not playing the AH.

1 Like

Yeah it really annoys me that Blizzard has turned a blind eye to this. I would love nothing more than for Blizzard to ban this kind of addon developer behavior since its an obvious loophole in the intention of Blizzard’s rules. Only reason I can think is not many developers abuse this tactic so they don’t bother.

They also bought exclusive access to the code for TourGuide, which was one of the most popular addons for levelling around the time when the addon policy was introduced. They said that they were going to release it for free to the public, but they never did, which means that if you want a levelling guide addon now, you either have to use Zygor or Azeroth Auto Pilot, the latter being very awkward to use with an extremely bare-bones UI.

I use https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/wow-pro

I like it because it has guides for all zones and not just whatever route someone believes is best :heart:

Ah, right, forgot about wow-pro. I used to use Jaime’s Guides back in the day, but I stopped because the addon kept bugging out and moving all over the place whenever I’d turn in a quest.