Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

If you’re into the heavy handed exploration of the previous game, then you’ll like this one as the toolset has expanded greatly with the means from which you can traverse the world or what you can do to problem solve your way through challenges or puzzles.

The weapon system is…strange perhaps alittle iffy compared to how they handled weapons in Breath of the Wilds though this may boil down more to my own personal taste of simply having weapons with immutable factors, whereas the mogging skill Link gets allow for a wide variety of combinations…and as far as I can tell size isn’t a limiting factor when it comes to combining a log with a wooden stick.

Difficulty wise its been mixed for me so far, resources seem far more scarcer though I think that somewhat deliberate seen as utility skills like throwing flammable fruit or using flaming ammo is more encouraged through shrine or environmental factors (explosive barrels, rocks that can be used to run mobs over etc) .

Early Spoilers The plot so far is relatively straight forward, though from what I've gleamed from a random memory there are time traveling shenanigans involved along with some beast-like advanced race that has a connection to the royal family technology of that Hyrules timeline. More interestingly is Links new arm...at the very beginning he loses it to a whiplash of Ganons corruptive power and throughout the game a red energy has been pulsing from Link whenever he gets a heart container or light seal from shrines....which could have some...interesting implications long term....I'll have to keep slogging through it to see.

My only real gripe is transportation between A and B though with Shrines in the literal sky I can imagen that moving around later game won’t be an issue, once I have more of a spanning network up and running.

2 Likes

Not touching another Zelda game until they remove the stupid weapon durability nonsense and release the Switch 2.

I find it pathetic how they released BOTW 2 on this antiquated system to theoretically prolong its lifespan another 6+ months. I’ll wait for the Switch 2 and inevitable BOTW 2 re-release with upgraded graphics.

2 Likes

From what is implied:

Major Spoilers

The Zonai are the same Gods that Skyward Sword says the Triforce was designed to not work for.

Both Demise and TotK Ganondorf in otherwords are people who tried to use the Zonai Secret Stones but Demise had his removed and it was his Malice that created Ganondorf. Using the Zonai Secret Stones makes one unable to use the Triforce until the Stone is removed.

That is why Tears of the Kingdom Ganondorf doesn’t seek out the Triforce while the other Ganondorfs and Demise(who had his Secret Stone removed) do.

The Triforce must have been created by Farore, Nayru and Din before they ate their Secret Stones to become the Dragons we see in Breath of the Wild.

Tears of the Kingdom Ganondorf basically became as powerful as the 3 Golden Goddesses themselves.

The Imprisoning War in this Game’s backstory suggests that the Ganon of A Link to the Past is now implied to be the Ganon of Four Swords Adventures(explaining why the Four Sword is in the Dark World all a sudden) with the myths involving Ocarina of Time Ganondorf and Tears of the Kingdom Ganondorf merging with everyone in A Link to the Past’s story(including Ganondorf himself in some small manner) assuming the Myths are the backstory to A Link to the Past’s Ganondorf.

So many years, and Zelda never let us down, one of the reasons I’d buy the Switch, even though I wish the console had better games.

And that Samus recovers her Black Bikini design as it was the origin of the game overs and endings in Super Metroid.

I miss the old days when each Zelda game was a completely different story. Now they’re claiming that all the Zelda games are part of an ongoing metaverse.

You’re doing it wrong.

I found many creative ways to kill mobs in “Breath of the Wild” that the weapon durability felt like a non issue.

I’m now finding even more creative ways to kill mobs in “Tears of the Kingdom”. Something satisfying about fusing random things to make other things and play in totally unique ways.

Miyamoto has been claiming that they were part of an ongoing metaverse since A Link to the Past. Where were you!?

If it had come to PC I’d be playing it, but I’m not interested in buying a console for a game or two. Besides, weapons breaking is lame.

The weapons break due to how the fusing mechanics work.

If your weapons didn’t break then you’d only use the master sword that does like 60 dmg a hit.

A basic weapon does like…10-15+. 20 Dmg a weapon is what I’d consider decent. 40+ is the best I’ve seen so far. (Without rushing to the master sword).

Hopefully they do away with both fusing and weapon breaking.

I also hope they bring all the aesthetic wonders of previous Zelda Games into one big package:

1. Hyrule Great Forest would have Kokiri Forest(with Kokiri living in their houses) situated in front of Korok Forest(where the Deku Tree and Koroks live) while also having the OoT Forest Temple and the Forest Minish with their Deepwood Shrine
  2. Eldin Volcano would have the OoT Goron City, Dodongo’s Cavern, OoT Fire Temple, Goron Mines, Tower of Flames, Earth Temple, Fire Sanctuary, Goron Mining City and the First Goron City Gorondia
  3. Kakariko Village would have the Bottom of the Well Dungeon and the Shadow Temple/Temple of Darkness
  4. Zora’s Domain would have OoT-style Zoras with the Domain having the BotW design while Zora’s Fountain would have the Jabu Jabu’s Belly Dungeon and Ice Cavern
  5. Faron Woods would have the TP Forest Temple, Skyview Temple and Ancient Cistern while having the Parella living in Lake Floria which would have more trees growing underwater
  6. Lake Hylia would have the Water Temple, Lakebed Temple, House of Gales and Temple of Droplets
  7. Gerudo Desert would have the Gerudo Town, Spirit Temple and Arbiter’s Grounds
  8. Tabantha Region would have the Tower of Hera, Turtle Rock and Fortress of Winds
  9. Hyrule Field would have Lon Lon Ranch, Hyrule Castle and Hyrule Castle Town with City Minish as well as the Temple of Time and the Eastern Palace and Mount Crenel with it’s Cavern of Flames