Your system has run out of application memory

Since installing the pre-patch and updating to MacOS 13.0 (Ventura), I have repeatedly received an error after about 30 minutes of play. A system dialogue box pops up reporting:

“Your system has run out if application memory”

It gives me the option to force quit applications and lists the memory usage of each application. All other applications are using 100-200 MB of application memory, while WoW is using between 70 and 100 GB.

I am using a 16 inch 2021 M1 MacBook Pro with 16 GB of ram. Up until these updates the game client has run without any issues.

3 Likes

I just received the same error after a number of hours of play

Only thing I did differently recently is not limit the framerate, anyone else?

I find this is not occurring while in-game, but happens once I background the game and do something else for a few minutes.

16 inch 2021 M1 Max Macbook Pro, 32 GB of RAM

Could be the same with me as I often switch to something else while on a flight path or the like

Same problem happening for me (macOS Ventura, M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16 GB).

Most noticeable when logging in to characters in Ardenweald (in the covenant sanctum). Memory use usually (though not always) starts to increase quickly right after logging in; when I hearth out, to ZM in my case, the rapid increase stops, but the memory isn’t freed up until I quit WoW completely. Happens with or without addons enabled.

For those of you running out of RAM, the next time it occurs could you check Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and see if Agent is using excessive RAM? It may not be WoW itself, but Agent leaking RAM.

For me, at least, it was WoW itself hitting 80-90GB used, not Agent.

1 Like

A big issue for macOS is that it can’t even play the game without running out of application memory. Just try sitting around Oribos and see how long you will last.

Likewise, I’m getting specifically WoW hitting 150GB RAM in Activity Monitor in these cases.

I just got this error today. I put wow on a new virtual desktop and switched to my main desktop and walked away. Came back 3 minutes later with the run out of application memory window up on a completely unresponsive machine. Wow was showing 172GB in use in that box. Played for hours last night with no memory issues.

Bummer that it isn’t Agent causing this. I say that mainly because at least then only one memory leak would be present. Now there are two. Well, it’s either a memory leak or WoW is literally caching everything and never doing a garbage dump. It’s possible that if it isn’t doing garbage dumps that there may be a debug flag turned on that should have been switched off prior to the client going live. Hopefully they’ll get this nailed down ASAP, because there isn’t a Mac on the planet outside of a tricked out Mac Pro 2019 that can even have more than 128 GB RAM, and almost nobody has >32 GB RAM.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed a fix comes down the pipe sooner than Soon™.

They are doing emergency maintenance. Here’s Hoping

Maintenance is usually for server-side issues, not client updates. But hey, we can hope, right? :slight_smile:

Without seeing the issue in person its hard to pinpoint the cause, but usually with macOS this kind of issue occurs with logging. Check to see if you have any diagnostic logging running on the system, and maybe try turning off combat logging. The emergency maintenance may also have a small update that fixes the issue. Hopefully.

Similar issue here with M1 MacBook Air with 16GB of RAM.

There is definitely a memory leak. Not even just macOS either. It’s being looked into. It’s another weird issue that didn’t happen on ptr/beta but is happening in live environment so likely something added last minute (just like adding intro cinematic last minute is crashing older cpus)

2 Likes

Same issue here :

macOS Monterey 
Mac mini (2018)
Processor: 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Aside from the game, there’s nothing else running, after a few minutes it takes up more than 93GB.

1 Like

Becckker, I’m aware of one memory leak in addon code, and since you have the most leaking memory with app, i’m gonna ask waht addons you are running just in case that same leak is causing app itself to swell up. and if turning all mods off slows or eliminates the app leak.

again that leak isn’t mods fault either but something with the app not freeing memory after receiving an addon comm…althoough this leak would be pretty hard to swell to 93GB unless there was a broken addon SPAMMING comms super mega hard non stop. it’s likely unrelated but have to be sure.

My addons:

• Clique
  • Details
  • GTFO
  • MinimapButtomBag-Reborn
  • Pawn
  • Raider IO
  • SimulationCraft
  • Talent Tree Tweaks
  • TalentTree Viewer
  • TL:DR Mission
  • Venture Plan
  • DBM
  • Zygon Guide

I will turn off all.

i dont think it matters much but at very least it’d help proof it doesn’t matter.

I was running another theory but already disproved it with someone else. while there is an addon leak in addon comms, it’s not big enough to cause this.

The problem we’re facing now is blizzard can’t reproduce this issue at all. I can’t either. Yet some of you can consistently. So we need as much details as possible on hardware, software version, settings, etc. Everything you can think of.