Your Opinion(s): Which movie genres are overdone?

I’m not talking about tropes/cliches, I’m talking about genres of movies that are everywhere in the movie market and have taken way too much dominance in the movie industry that you are fed up with it.

Here’s my list (some of which would be controversial):

1. Superhero movies: No surprise here, I was never keen on Superhero movies even back when they were a novelty. It’s the same old story, a superpowered good guy fights a superpowered bad guy and in a climactic battle (which caused a lot of property damage and somehow not anger from the public) the good guy wins. I would like a change in which the bad guy wins and that everything the good guy went through was for nothing, because that’s realistic, not everyone gets a happy ending irl. And one man’s joy is another man’s sorrow. Not only that but when the good guy wins, the public celebrates him, despite the fact that he is responsible for so much property damage that he would go through a class action lawsuit and become broke from the expenses.

2. World War (one and two) and Holocaust movies: Look, I know those events were a very dark chapter in Humanity’s history, but there have been so many movies covering those topics that is it just repeating the same thing again and again. There’s no way of changing how the formula works because it is a very simplistic way of telling a story. Not to mention that many of these types of movies are just simply Oscar baits.

3. Zombie/Viking/Greco-Roman movies: These genres have one thing in common, they focus on a common trend for people to insert themselves in these settings. For zombie movies, people imagine themselves as the few survivors fighting the zombies who in reality, would get gobbled up as with the rest of Humanity. Viking movies are also overdone because people are fascinated with Vikings, why? SA’ing, pillaging, and raiding innocent villagers isn’t cool at all and we condemn contemporary people for doing that.
    If the Vikings were still around, we would hate them instead of romanticize them. As for Greco-Roman movies, I see that they portray an idealized and revisionist view of the Greeks and Romans that was made by revisioning historians and depict them into impossibly higher standards of Human civilization than they were irl. If you were to travel back in time and met an average Greek or Roman, you’d be surprised how ignorant and superstitious they were, just like how people depict medieval and hunter-gatherer peoples (and some modern day people to an extent).

I’m 100% with you on the super hero movies. I was sick of them before the last Avengers movie. We know the plot, we know the ending and it’s all boring.

The genre I think is overdone is the glorification of people on drugs, whether they’re real (example: Walk the Line) or fake (example: Requiem for a Dream.) I don’t think it’s emotional and I don’t feel sorry for them. And talk about Oscar bait. Ugly yourself up, do some fake drugs on the screen, then bam! Instant Oscar nomination.

I definitely lost interest in the MCU after Endgame, without Cpt America or Ironman, there is no MCU. Those two (with Thor) made the universe entertaining at least. Other Superhero movies never interested me much, so eh. Fair play to ya on disliking the genre.

War movies in general aren’t interesting let alone the ones taking place during the World Wars. I only like Patton, and I haven’t seen that in years.

I think the only movies I like anymore are… I dunno, the only recent movie I’ve seen recently was Meg. It was entertaining, though not really peak cinema. I guess I liked it since it’s been awhile since I saw a Shark movie.

1. Romance
  2. Comedy

There actual genre’s and not sub-genres. I would be fine if they never made another of the 2 listed…especially Rom-Coms. Sick to death of them.

Anytime where you can CLEARLY tell a movie was made just so folks could keep the license / trademark / whichever one of those