You think expansion comes out this year?

Do you think we’ll get a new expansion this year? Shadowlands will be 2 years old this November.

2 Likes

I really hope that work on the next expansion is why content in this one is light, and bugs aren’t being fixed. I really doubt it though. I see a lot more departure notices than anything.

28 Likes

they probably saw the reception is bad so they stopped trying.

Press X to doubt. If the beta isn’t up before the spring ends, we’ll know for sure.

1 Like

Not even remotely close, no. 9.2 will be out of course, but no new expansion this year. Next year, yeah I’m sure of it then but prob not til around June of next year or something like that. 1-2 years after 9.2 is released we will have the next expansion out.

9 Likes

Yeah considering 9.2 is the last patch for this xpac I’d say the new xpac will drop at the end of the year, probably end of November or early December.

2 Likes

Next Expansion:

World of Warcraft: Wallet Crusade

They just sell a literal box for $50.00 with no game attached, but warn in the subtext there’s no game, they just want your money before they shut it down.

People still buy it.

20 Likes

That’s basically what they did in Cataclysm. “Screw it… here’s Deathwing. See you in Pandaria.”

1 Like

Retail’s xpac this year, wotlk classic next year.

Yes no question. Expect something between mid August to first week of December. Just like every other expansion. If they didn’t delay SL to 2021 because of pre-vaccine covid, they will not delay 10.0 to 2023. Regardless of the current climate at the company.

1 Like

They think in terms of quarterly earnings. You’re going to get a patch or something each quarter. So if Diablo is MIA as is Overwatch, WoW is going to have to carry the K in ABK.

I really doubt it. They are probably held up designing the 3 new borrowed power systems they are adding in the next expansion.

6 Likes

'member when Deathwing with his armor on picked up the Dragon Soul?

I 'member.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. It would be disastrous if they didnt. I think it will be announced in the first quarter to boost their investor confidence and will probably come out third quarter.

1 Like

Cata’s lasting legacy is the revamped leveling experience in my opinion. There were a lot more changes than you might think from the old EK & Kalimdor in terms of how the questing is laid out.

1 Like

Shadowlands:

The expansion was officially announced on November 1, 2019, at [BlizzCon 2019]
On October 29th, the release date was announced as November 23/24 2020.

if we are in January and they announce expansions about 12 months in advance…

1 Like

In this time of disrupted work schedules there is no reason to believe they will religiously stick by the timings they have used before.

3 Likes

If you look back since WoD started blizzard has held pretty firmly to major patches (and by extension raid for almost all cases) to being launched in 3 content windows.

1st window: Mid-January-early February (17 day spread):

• Blackrock Foundry: February 3, 2015
  • Nighthold: January 17, 2017
  • Battle of Dazar’alor: January 22, 2019
  • Ny’alotha: January 21, 2020

2nd window: Late June-mid July (19 day spread):

• Hellfire Citadel: June 24, 2015
  • Tomb of Sargeras: June 20, 2017
  • Azshara’s Eternal Palace: July 9, 2019
  • Sanctum of Domination: July 6, 2021

3rd window: Late November/early December (10 day spread)

• Highmaul: December 2, 2014
  • Antorus the Burning Throne: November 28, 2017
  • Castle Nathria: December 8, 2020

Outliers:

• Emerald Nightmare: September 20, 2016
  • Trial of Valor: November 8, 2016
  • Uldir: September 4, 2018
  • Crucible of Storms: April 16, 2019

Only exceptions being the launch raids and and the two most recent challenge/mini-raids we got.

Like it or not raids are the main tentpole feature for patches from which the rest of the game is built around.

2 Likes

True.

one can also argue, poor SL reception would mean they are held to a higher quality standard, demanding more time to implement and test the better product.

Well going back to WoD is going to throw the numbers because Legion was gang-busters and BFA at least was on something of a schedule.

Shadowlands Launches Q4 of 2020
9.0.5 was March - so Q1
9.1 was last day of June so Q2
9.1.5 is November so Q4

They did nothing for Q3 but a lot of things allowed for strong resubs in Q3 based on how late 9.1 was.