You can hide your profile and presence

Just in case y’all didn’t know, you can hide your profile. From my understanding and seeing, if you enable it, folks can’t see your forum profile or post history. To enable it, do the following:

• Go to your Preferences
    - If you don’t know how to do this, on PC, click your character’s portrait
    - Then go to preferences (It looks like a gear icon)
  • Preferences tab
  • Interface
  • Check mark: “Hide my public profile and presence features

Just a FYI since, for some reason, privacy has become a thing on WoW lately.

EDIT: I also found that you can enter in usernames to mute. I don’t know if folks you put on ignore carried over from the old forums, as I don’t mute anyone, here’s where that is:

• Preferences
  • Notifications
  • Scroll down to users
    - Type in the username in that box

I don’t know if you need the realm name as well but you should tinker with that, if you mute folks.

21 Likes

Thanks, had not seen that :+1:

2 Likes

I know you’re not supposed to bump posts in 1 day but I also found that you can enter in usernames to mute. I don’t know if folks you put on ignore carried over from the old forums, as I don’t mute anyone, here’s where that is:

• Preferences
  • Notifications
  • Scroll down to users
    - Type in the username in that box

I don’t know if you need the realm name as well but you should tinker with that, if you mute folks.

Again, I know, not supposed to bump threads repeatedly. It’s just another nifty feature I found that others might want to utilize. I’ll edit this into the OP, in case folks don’t want to scroll down and read.

This is good stuff, more options are a good thing. Thanks for this!

2 Likes

I don’t like this at all. All it does is enable players to complain about things they’ve never done, and will continue to make frivolous comments.

2 Likes

Were my thoughts exactly. It was pretty bad in the old forums now we’ll have no way of knowing if somebody’s complaints are valid or it sounds awful because a friend or a streamer said it is lol

1 Like

This is assuming they weren’t already doing this before?

It just makes them less validated when making a post about content, when you cant even tell whether or not they’ve completed what they’re complaining about in their posts.

1 Like

Just a FYI since, for some reason, privacy has become a thing on WoW lately.

Lately?

Privacy is a major issue these days and has been for a very long time. That this function is available now is more an indication of how much Blizzard is missing when it comes to basic privacy controls.

1 Like

I don’t like this at all. All it does is enable players to complain about things they’ve never done, and will continue to make frivolous comments.

You dont know what they have done…and as has been pointed out repeatedly, achieves and activity are not acct wide and never have been…so what a person does on one toon isnt actually reflected regardless.

If people make comments you dont like…dont read and dont reply.

Simple.

2 Likes

I’m not hiding because i’m not a coward!

well I am but not like that

It just makes them less validated when making a post about content, when you cant even tell whether or not they’ve completed what they’re complaining about in their posts.

Wasnt aware we needed to have “qualifications” to post.

When did this come in?

2 Likes

already knew but… yea i just dont care about what other people think

I’m still trying to figure out how to view my own profile on this toon.

In any event, what have I got to hide?

In any event, what have I got to hide?

And the converse: since when is what I do ingame anyones business but mine?

Pharsalus: this will be one of many such changes to come.

It’s not about qualifications, but rather if you even bothered to do content. I can complain about things I haven’t experienced as much as I want to little to no effort.

A complaint about something that hasn’t been tried out yet or experienced is more frivolous, then serious. It becomes less important to people that read and really hinders the experience overall in WoW. If false claims end up getting changed by developers.

I don’t ever complain about mythic raids for one simple reason… Because I don’t do them. Ive only ever done mythic raiding in MoP, and even that was considered heroic back then.

Adding a privacy to toxic and frivolous complaints I don’t agree with at all. There was a low level player that was called out by a developer for making frivolous complaints on the forums… I along with many were so proud of him for doing that as it only further proves that people will come onto the forums to simply complain, and not experience content.

1 Like

It’s not about qualifications, but rather if you even bothered to do content. I can complain about things I haven’t experienced as much as I want to little to no effort.

Maybe. But the point is that you arent (to borrow a phrase) a hall monitor who tells others what they may and may not comment on.

A complaint about something that hasn’t been tried out yet or experienced is more frivolous, then serious. It becomes less important to people that read and really hinders the experience overall in WoW. If false claims end up getting changed by developers.

Thats a bit of a reach.

I don’t ever complain about mythic raids for one simple reason… Because I don’t do them. Ive only ever done mythic raiding in MoP, and even that was considered heroic back then.

So? Doesnt mean you cant comment overall.

Adding a privacy to toxic and frivolous complaints I don’t agree with at all.

Yes well this isnt about that. Its about a system wide change to allow others to either leave their online presence public or not as they see fit.

Thats a privacy control. BTW If you dont like that then buckle up, because if half what i hear is right, you aint seen nothing yet.

Privacy applications and controls online are about to get a lot more stringent, Companies will have to comply.

There was a low level player that was called out by a developer for making frivolous complaints on the forums… I along with many were so proud of him for doing that as it only further proves that people will come onto the forums to simply complain, and not experience content.

Thats fine. The dev called them out, issue solved.

My point stands: you may disagree with others viewpoints all you like, but what I see is a change to armory trolling…btw see above.

Hypothetically: I could be a mythic raider on another toon, but that wont show on this one, so using an armoury to “refute” is a waste of time.

Focus on what they say, not on what an armoury that does not accurately reflect a persons gaming says.

Address the message: not the messenger.

The way I see it is that most people that complain on forums about content, and have something to hide from others as a result of their complaint, normally has something to do with them either not completing the content itself, or being booted from a group, and trying to justify their actions through the forums, despite being the aggressor.

I just don’t agree with privacy for Achievement content, as its not real life information and holds no RL value. I could see if it was a drivers license, credit card, phone number or something that someone could steal or exploit you with sure. But for Achievements, mounts and other things like that seems a bit silly to hide to me.

1 Like

Ya exactly… I could see if this was real life personal information, but cmon… Its achievements, gear, mounts, etc… Seems a bit over the top to me.

The way I see it is that most people that complain on forums about content, and have something to hide from others as a result of their complaint

You do not have a “right” to know.

I just don’t agree with privacy for Achievement content, as its not real life information and holds no RL value

You may not agree, but the definitions of privacy , what is identifiable information vs what is not, is under review. GDPR is only the start.

In the next ten years, expect to see some massive privacy changes.

The hammer is on its way down.