Ya Know.. Looking Back...A lot Could Have Been Avoided if

You would have never known the difference if it had been a talent row from the beginning. No one complained that being able to swap Garrison buildings and bodyguard followers if you changed your mind later somehow lessened the impact they made.

You’re just defending the current setup because it’s what you’re familiar with and used to.

1 Like

They could do that, but who wouldn’t go Kyrian as main for the potions and then use the class ability that sims the best.

But sure, that with the current rates of obtaining anima that would certainly be a soft cap on restriction.

In my response I am referring to those as the covenant abilities. It would be folly to not pick ‘the hunt’ for PvP and to not pick Elysian decree when tanking.

I’d really just like to stop with borrowed power in general. It hasn’t felt good, and it’s just frustrating to go each expansion losing something and sometimes not getting anything of value to replace it.

What they COULD do is work on improving spells we already have, be that the effects, their output, their cosmetic looks, just something. That way it’s permanent, but it doesn’t technically “add” anything new to avoid their concern of button bloat. Or just something, I want a sense of permanence again.

6 Likes

it is essentially this atm anyway. just with a bit of story attached. How many of us joined our cov purely for the cosmetics? Some? sure however we know for fact the majority of people chose the best skill for them, some maybe compromised and chose the 2nd best or the best of the ones they liked, but its essentially just a talent as is.

2 Likes

This was always going to be the case, and Blizzard pretending it would be any different is a straight up lie. They have the historical data to know beyond the shadow of a doubt, that people will choose the covenant that performs the best for their class.

It was never going to be a personal preference choice.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s a talent that I can’t change easily and that screwed me out of storyline and cosmetics. And then it’ll be gone the end of the expansion.

4 Likes

They could keep forcing the choose one covenent thing, but applying borrowed power to covenents was indeed a major mistake. I also do not like soul binds, they are the worst.

1 Like

yet covenant hall is just like a class hall, covenant missions is just like mission tables in WoD and legion, you can still op out so there really is no “commitment” ontop of that you still got “legendaries” which aint so legendary tbh just another added on bs system.

my point is regardless if it were a talent or not you already got all these stacked bs systems in “system lands” that are just recycled from older expacs.

I just had a premonition. What if, to reuse an asset, at the end of the expansion, they just make the covenant abilities into a talent row.

"Based on the success of the Covenant Abilities, we have decided it would feel bad to leave them solely in the Shadowlands. So in patch 9.3.5 the covenant abilities will become your new talent row to take with you, back into Azeroth for 10.0. "

Honestly not sure what the potions are. I don’t play much and I never did kyrian. Are they a consumable? Use Could be gated behind which covenant you currently have “active”.

Covenant abilities will be gone next expansion for sure. Subverting class flavor in favor of a major seasonal (expansion-long) flavor is one thing, but subverting it on a permanent basis seems no bueno.

I’m okay with being locked out of cosmetics for choosing a covenant, but they could’ve made all the covenant class abilities available regardless of covenant choice. They can just change the look of the abilities to fit your covenant.

That’s what I’ve just below what you’ve quoted. Maybe you will go for RP/cosmetics maybe you’ll go for performance in the content you enjoy most.

I’m sure there people on both sides that can find stacked systems to be an issue.

Could happen! Might be the gift that they impart on us for helping them out. Note that I will permanently reroll to druid if this end up being the case.

except you have people whining over 1% differences, i get it some are better then others for bosses, some are better for aoe and thus not worth the cast on raid bosses but have use in mythic +.

play what you enjoy, the people throwing a fit over this arent even that 1% top that needs to be squeezing out that extra 1% on bosses.

1 Like

Yeah except it’s not 1% and this argument always comes up on these threads. You don’t have to be a mythic raider for your covenant choice to make a massive difference in your dps.

3 Likes

I might throw things for a while after the bs we had to go through to finally get that done, but it would be nice.

i just went through this with a warlock, every ability has some use.

maybe not for raid bosses but they all have use.

if they actually did it how they should of which was keep it set in stone now opting out then they’d have to balance it and the only way to really balance it imo is with talent row. as it is now it would be hell to balance i mean look at them now.

you look at our current talent system as well it’s just as bad but hey at least you have “options” in some cases you do where 1 talent is only good for st while the other only good for say AoE/cleaving but usually it’s just the 1 talent is good for all situations.

Yes they all have a function, great.

Compare a necrolord warrior and a venthyr warrior and then get back to me.

Or had each Covenant as a reputation gated quest chain(Like Suramar), with reputation gains determined by anima donations and world quests and Covenant abilities being pick and choose from a vendor and costing stygia to swap in order to link the Covenants better with the Maw.

With a bonus reputation gain towards your chosen Covenant at the end of the leveling experience so that within 1-2 weeks you have completed that initial storyline and unlocked the abilities in time for progression raiding, and the other Covenants timed out to 1 month per Covenant story.

2 Likes