Xe'ra's gross for trying to violate Illidans but Illidan isnt a gross for OKing the SLAVERY done by Lady Vashj?

Wouldn’t we say like, literal slavery is also a severe violation of bodily autonomy? Xe’ra wanted Illidan to do a thing in service of the greater good, Illidan sanctioned Vashj to enslave the broken draenei “for the greater good” yet these actions aren’t at all seen as morally equivalent in the slightest? What gives?

3 Likes

akama was a traitor
he needed to keep an eye on them

1 Like

Didn’t ya’ll literally raise an army, storm Illidan’s castle and kill him for such actions?

12 Likes

Illidan’s relationship with TBC when he returns in Legion is sort of… wonky. It’s one reason that at the start of the expansion, X’era wasn’t well-received at all. Illidan hadn’t really appeared since TBC other than in the DH starting zone, briefly, and the flashbacks about him did very little to cast him in the more anti-hero light they wanted him to be in.

By the time we were going to Argus he’d managed to endear himself to the playerbase again as the snarky wild card character, but a LOT of the Outland stuff was barely touched on much at all, other than the option during the DH chain to once again split Akama from his Shade to force his compliance. They really had trouble figuring out if they wanted the Illidari to be self-sacrificing misunderstood anti-heroes or fanatical zealots consumed by hatred of the Legion.

The excuse that mostly seems to be used is that Illidan didn’t really know much about what was happening, as he was primarily focused on attacking Legion worlds and building up his demon hunter forces. Much of TBC lore had been soft-retconned or forgotten about by the time we got to Legion in any case, with what was acknowledged being pretty selective.

14 Likes

Death Knights also enslave Ghouls and Skeletons if you will remember.

4 Likes

Well, to me the point of the scene between Illidan and Xe’ra isn’t about how Illidan is shaking off someone who is being immoral and trying to violate his bodily autonomy. It’s about him rejecting being a Destined Chosen One, and by extension, the narrative itself rejecting that trope too.

So I can’t really see your point.

9 Likes

I would be willing to bet most people dont know about Illidan’s gross doings in TBC. That being said, I dont think many people claim Illidan is not evil.

1 Like

I’m more sympathetic towards living things than actually brainless undead.

Vashj is killed. She is in the Shadowlands. She will probably come to Azshara’s side again, if they connect again somehow. But she already was killed for her actions (well, for being in our way). What more punishment should she get?

Illidan leaves a trail of shattered women who follow him. Vashj was killed working with him. Maiev follows him around relentlessly, with a fervor. And Xera was… well… literally shattered.

3 Likes

One could argue that undead need more help because they aren’t free to fight back.

2 Likes

It always just struck me as Illidan being hyper-focused on defeating the Legion, to the point that he’d plunge headlong into all sorts of moral ambiguity to achieve his goal. Including recruiting demons of his own, pretending to work for Kil’jaeden directly, and evidently enslaving the Broken (and others)

5 Likes

No one is saying that. We killed both because of it. Stop this nonsense. We all know you are just mad that the Light is no longer a force of good.

You know that both of them can be gross at the same time, right? I mean, that’s what I’ve always gone with.

Something being forced on a bad person doesn’t make them less bad, conversely it doesn’t make the person forcing it less bad either. They’re both just bad.

11 Likes

Kind of figured that was common sense though? At least it should be.

3 Likes

Perhaps you forgot how he died in the first place?

WE, the Champions killed him for his Outland shenanningans.

We later resurrected him to keep his corpse out of Gul’dan’s clutches and we needed him as point man against the Legion.

2 Likes

The problem with Illidan is that he’s willing to sacrifice everything and everyone except himself.

12 Likes

I get the feeling he genuinely believes that sacrificing himself would be a bad idea because only he is brilliant enough to lead the expendable others.

13 Likes

We call that main character syndrome… just had to deal with a player in my DnD group that had/has it… :unamused:

In Illidan’s mind he was the only person who could ever pull off his batman gambit… that he totally didn’t make up on the fly…

5 Likes

I have wanted to stuff the man into a dumpster and Xera’s love letter followed by attempting to pull on Illidan what he did to so many others only made me want it more.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I’m not saying we’re supposed to agree with him or anything.

2 Likes