Xal'atath Was The Fifth Old God

I find it interesting that the art around the mystery old god has many bones/skeletons, considering the other old gods have art around them displaying what they have power over.

I think with this in mind, Shadowlands just got a bit more spicy.

Perhaps Sylvanas wielding Xalatath opened the opportunity for her to bargain with Death.

itsavulpera

1 Like

I wouldn’t state it’s ‘Negative, no, full stop.’ as they haven’t given direct source stating that she’s NOT an Old Goddess. And there is subtle things, there’s multiple various sources which have been mentioned in this thread – Although what I will agree is that at the time being it could be ruled under ‘Speculation’.

As for ‘Blizzard has always been pretty much straight up blatent when we are working with an Old God’ well I’d reply with "Negative, no, full stop.’ too, as there’s been multiple times we’ve been ‘deceived’ or there’s been a curtain reveal its the Old Gods work, so if they were playing the same with Xal’Atath for the long game I honestly wouldn’t be entirely surprised - But I’d look forward to what they have in store for us. They’ve stated in text that Il’gynoth is a tiny growth of the behemoth N’Zoth - Hence his loyalties being tied to N’Zoth, whereas Xal’Atath wanted revenge on all the Old Gods.

Naaaw, but it worked with Lothraxion :frowning: (And Illidan is debatable, as he’s technically ‘always’ been ‘good’).

Lothraxion didn’t get loved into goodness.

He was brainwashed by the Light.

You might mean sixth. G’huun is considered the fifth. Not a bad idea of a post though.

No. G’huun would be the sixth since he was created waaaaaaay after the Black Empire’s downfall while Xal’atath was eaten during the early days of the Black Empire.

1 Like

Well I wouldn’t state the Light - or the Void are ‘Good’ or ‘Evil’ they just ‘are’.

What I’d personally like to see if the Old Gods develop their own vision for the world (or Universe), and form their own path - Even perhaps plot to bring the Void Lords into the playing field for to not be the puppet, but the puppeteer - wanting to take the power of the Void Lords for their own.

1 Like

Fair enough, either way, i like the idea of the post. Can be fairly interesting and potentially something used in the plot later. Thanks for posting it.

It’s definitely not out of the realm of possibility. And it doesn’t change what we know already nor clash with anything. I’m down with this theory.

Shadow priests are literally servants of the old gods confirmed

Lets say (Theoretically) Xal’Atath is eventually confirmed as an Old Goddess and they portray some additional backstory about the backstabbing of the other Old Gods & what events leading up to the Blade – All Old Gods have particular minions that they’ve formed (The Qiraji or Nerubians for instance), Imagine Xal’Atath having minions but before the forces of the other Old Gods bore down on her she dispatched them through void portals spread throughout the universe to allow them to escape - Better them to be scattered than pawns or fodder for her rivals to feed on, and later we see Xal’Atath re-collecting one of her most favoured races of her empire – Some of which was eventually recruited & corrupted into Demons with the Fel into the Legions Forces: … The Succubi

The first Chronicle book only says that a group of Old Gods landed on Azeroth, it doesn’t state a number until the Titans showed up later on.

The Qiraji, Nerubians, and Mantid were all one group (the Aqir) when the Old Gods were active. They only split into their separate tribes much later when they were defeated by the Trolls.

Yes, but they were still originated from the Old Gods - As is stated in Chronicles: Volume One.

The Old Gods & their forces (The Aqir & Elementals included) only unified when the Titans & the Titanforged bore their immense might against them – Before such they waged war amongst one another for total domination & more power.

We don’t know if the Qiraji/Mantid/Nerubians existed as distinct tribes back then or if they evolved into their current forms over the long years after the Old Gods were imprisoned.

Originally there were 5 old gods on azeroth lorewise. Some time (around cata or mop i think but idk for sure) they got ninja retconned to 4 for no real reason. However in the original game manual for warcraft 3 it was stated as 5.

The Pantheon shattered the Old Gods’ Citadels and chained the five evil being far beneath the surface of the world.

So Xalatath being re-retconned (unretconned?.. whatever) to be the 5th would be cool.

Keep in mind, there are also many references to “the six” we’ve gotten from the Old Gods, six seats at the high table, six mouths that hunger, six masters but the cunning serve only one, stuff like that. A lot of those quotes make sense in relaton to the Old Gods if we assume there were six of them, which would explain why the devs invented G’huun for BfA.

Xal’atath also says that it’s ironic how the weakest of the Old Gods would ultimately be the victor, as there was always only one intended to corrupt the World-Soul. It’s thought that’s supposed to refer to N’zoth, since he’s supposedly the weakest of those that remained, but if it’s referring to Xal’atath it would really be her foreshowing her own victory.

That would also explain the nature of the Old Gods’ conflict with each other a bit. The lore blurb in the OP states how she was consumed by her kin in the early days of Azeroth, and we know that before the Titans arrived N’zoth was at war with the other Old Gods as well. So it seems like they grow in strength by consuming their weakest, and N’zoth was next on the plate. The story confusing her with Y’Shaarj would also be explained there, since if she was consumed by him primarily, that would explain why he was so powerful, and why she was conflated with him, since his power was partly hers. Moreover, if we take the two stories as not being mutually exclusive, the blade itself may have been Y’Shaarj’s claw which he killed her with, while the essence inside, Xal’atath, is the actual last remnant of the Old God.

Given we now know that Xal’atath and the blade aren’t synonymous, and that she was in fact trapped within it, that makes the most sense.

G’huun would actually be the fifth that they chained, since Xal’atath never was. It would, again, explain why he was written into existence, to make that passage canon even though the timeline with Xal’atath would make it impossible.

Okay so I am a lore noob when it comes to Old Gods, but aren’t they all trapped in the ground where they landed? So how would they be able to eat one of their own? Unless I am wrong about them being stuck in the ground… in that case does that mean now that N’Zoth is free he is just a giant freaking squid monster swimming around in the ocean?

They aren’t trapped. But I imagine their continental size doesn’t make movement easy.

Still, Chronicle states that they spread their tentacles across the entire planet trying to reach it’s core. I imagine they were so big they could tentacle slap each other anywhere in the planet lol

1 Like