Write a Battle for Lore

Basically, the prompt challenge is in the story. Write a battle between the Horde and Alliance.

The stipulations for it, however…

• No mustache twirling evil. BfA kindly showed no one is interested.

• Horde is not the aggressor. BfA also kindly showed a lack of interest in that. (skirmish that simply escalated because both parties panicked type scenario does not count towards being aggressor)

• Can happen in existing region or new continent. Presume revamp if existing region.

• Humans, Orcs and Forsaken cannot be the poster boy belligerents for either side. I debated on Nelves being here, but after reviewing Lore they essentially only have had a presence in the sense that tauren have been treated like a major horde race.

Outside that, go bananas.

1 Like

Night elves fully retake Ashenvale, expelling the orcs and horde lumber operations. I’m going to edit this post with far more detail as I write it.

1 Like

Despite my infrequency with posting on these forums, and my indefinite hiatus from WoW, I could not pass up this excellent writing prompt. It was a rewarding challenge to draft up a hypothetical battle for WoW lore (irrespective of all the criticisms I have for it in recent times). Within the Google Doc weblink below, I formatted “The Battle of Loch Modan,” with a map; written outline; and references.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17340XfQmHvtJjBmPz3ohQT_wzuuhNR9c_VwV2T1wIAU/edit?usp=sharing

Admittedly, I used a loophole from MoP: the incomplete idea of the Mongrel Horde. I paired that with Cata’s Axis of Awful to represent the “Horde” side. In case that was insufficient, I included the Bilgewater Cartel’s zeppelins.

1 Like

heavy breathing I support this for it’s sheer creativity.

Tensions between the Aldor and Scryers has heated up and emissaries are sent to the players aligned with their respective faction. The Aldor have noticed that their soldiers are becoming ill after multiple gifts from the Scryers. They suspect foul-play and have demanded they be expelled from Shattrath. The Scryers feel that the Aldor are jumping for a reason to throw them out of the city and refuse to be bullied.

Horde and Alliance fight other Horde and Alliance for claim to the city. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Jaina summons a water elemental using frost magic.

She splashes Thrall.

Thrall summons a water elemental using shamanism.

He splashes Jaina.

The waterfight of the ages ensues, and floods both Orgrimmar and Stormwind.

Those who survive wonder what the heck really makes a frost mage different from a shaman anyway.

4 Likes

With the situation between the Horde and Alliance worsening, both sides are looking for sources of oil and azerite.

Someone finally remembers Krasarang Wilds have both in plentiful amounts, even after the events of Mists.

For the Alliance, it is an up and coming recent arrival to the Alliance who notes this: a dark iron emissary who explored Pandaria due to the lack of conflict down there. He convinces Moira and (in turn) the Council of Three Hammers to lead another expedition down there. They do so without Anduin’s knowledge or approval, in order to verify the claim and gather some resources beforehand.

For the Horde, a young Highmountain has discovered the same thing. Knowing how highly the more mechanized portions of the Horde favor oil (and azerite is always a plus), he talks to Mayla who pushes him towards Gazlowe (due to a natural distrust of Gallywix). Gazlowe works smarter and a lot more respectfully towards the area, sending the Highmountain first as an envoy to allow them to work there. Reluctantly, they are allowed access on the grounds they are simply gathering the resources and nothing else. This same proclamation is given the Alliance upon their arrival.

For maybe a week, this goes on with the Horde and Alliance keeping away from each other. But the Dark Irons strike first, their rogues and assassins striking out at mining tauren and goblins. Swiftly tempers flare over this, but the ultimate attack comes from Wildhammers attacking a Horde convoy. The forests of Krasarang lit up once again with the fires of war as dwarves and gnomes fight against highmountain tauren and goblins. Both sides are unable to stop the conflict, leading to the Huojin and Tushui coming down and taking charge over their sides’ battles. The only reason it does not spill over to the mainland is the Shado-Pan’s watchful gaze that recognize the problem but can do little but contain it.

1 Like

The Battle of the Barrens

A mournful Malfurion returns to the Firelands, desperate and distraught. Anduin’s simpering peace has failed to appease the Night Elves. Praying at Leyara’s Grave, Malfurion receives a vision…and a dark scheme is hatched.

In Ashenvale, life after the treaty has continued more or less as it always had…save quieter. The ruins of Astranaar loom over the Horde population, a grim reminder of their continued failures. A slow and steady stream of Horde civilians trickles between Zoram’gar Outpost and Splintertree, overseen by a mostly skeleton crew of Horde heroes.

But suddenly, a distant light illuminates the night. Before anyone can realize what’s happening, a massive fire engulfs the forest and begins devouring the civilians. Shamans attempt to control the flame, only to find themselves engulfed. This is no ordinary flame.

The Horde’s attentions are torn between figuring out how to stop the fire and how to protect the civilians. They divide their forces, as one band protects the civilians and ushers them toward the Barrens. The latter goes in search of the source of the flame and finds Night Elf extremists stalking them, claiming that they would rather see the land in cinders than in the hands of the Horde.

The Horde discovers a seed from the Firelands feeding the flames…but no one guarding it. Strange. But the reasoning becomes all too clear in an instant. The Cenarion Circle descends from Nordrassil and discovers Ashenvale ablaze…and the Horde wielding the seed.

The Circle turns its full wrath toward the Horde as the forces realize the Night Elves have set them up to appear as villains wreaking havoc against the land. Refusing to listen to their pleas of mercy, the Horde forces divide further, sending their core up to reinforce the civilians as the flanks stay behind to try to delay the vengeful Druids before they’re destroyed.

The insidiousness of the Night Elves’ plan, however, doesn’t truly hit until the Horde, overburdened by civilians, reaches the Barrens. Night Elf guerrillas attack from saberback, riding in and attacking before fleeing. Their grim plan becomes clear as they ignore the Horde’s champions and target the civilians.

There was never a strategic point to this. It was always about vengeance.

The Horde’s forces engage in a desperate battle against Alliance harriers as they’re driven back to the Crossroads, but they’re outnumbered and desperate. Over a thousand civilians flee Ashenvale. Fewer than a dozen make it to the Crossroads.

News of the attack shakes the Horde. They prepare for an attack. Anduin is furious. A last-minute diplomatic meeting is called, with Tyrande in attendance. She denies responsibility, but Anduin is skeptical. However, Malfurion arrives a moment later with a surprise witness.

Hamuul Runetotem, Archdruid of the Circle in Malfurion’s absence, recounts how the Circle discovered the Horde toying with an artifact of impossible power and set fire to Ashenvale in their own foolishness, the civilians claimed by the inferno purely the fault of the Horde.

Thrall is flabbergasted, but realizes he’s been outmaneuvered, politically and militarily. If the Horde counterattacks, every neutral faction in Azeroth will come down on their heads, believing them to be attempting another campaign of destruction. Neutered, Thrall returns Ashenvale to Alliance hands, the only means of appeasing the vengeful Circle and maintaining that crucial diplomatic link.

The war ends in a complete loss for the Horde: a slaughtered population and a reputation that means there can be no reprisal. But though the Alliance was “victorious,” Anduin realizes that the Night Elves will crush him if he stands in their way and, much more worryingly, they have proved much, much shrewder than he could have dreamed.

1 Like