WoWs character name system is atrocious

As the title says, The naming system in this game is absolute trash. Can someone please help me to understand why they did not use a system like Diablo etc? Where you can name your character whatever you wanted? What limits them from doing so? What limits them from changing to this method currently?

My frustration comes from me trying to roll an Alliance toon with some friends. When attempting to pick a server with any sort of real population virtually ALL names (Including using Character map) are taken. To put that into perspective, I was looking around the room and entering random words, Even with speical characters, Only to find that even those were taken. There are really people out there with the name Rightshoe, Workshirt, Blueblanket, Usedqtip etc.

I thought okay, Ill try a server like Eonar since “server doesnt matter anymore”. Got a name, Leveled a little. It feels like an absolute ghost town. No one talking in chat, If you ask anything in general youre essentially talking to yourself. Virtually no crafting orders able to be completed.Etc. So my options are to play on a dead server that feels like a solo player game with no economy or literally use a random generated name like Siwldujjlsiieosso

Im at a point where I dont even wanna play anymore because ive been sitting here so long trying to find a server and a name i want.

9 Likes

it cant be THAT hard to find a unique name. It’s never been an issue.

I bet Chairmaker is open. first guess.

alternatively, very old and unused for decades names SHOULD be released.

4 Likes

Chairmaker is taken on Proudmoore and Sargeras.

3 Likes

Goldkeeper was open on Sargeras a few months ago… I was surprised.

Probably old, base code that’s going to take a while to untangle like the backpack.

We need the following:

• longer name (aka, more characters)
  • the option for one space, hyphen or apostrophe

That covers last names and other conventional naming methods for other races.

6 Likes

this would be great! I hate trying to use those alt number codes to make goofy characters to try to get the name i want lol

2 Likes

In some games they have your user name and your display name. I was lucky to get “Tiffany” but my alts all have weird names.

So for example your user name could be Fred111xyz
And your display name could be Fred

Second Life went to a system like this and it works fine.

I think they would use the battle tag system and let people have whatever name they want but wow’s engine was built two decades ago and I doubt you can change such a bedrock aspect of it.

1 Like

they are though

Adding last names or ’ or - would really help (at least for awhile). I get a feeling that even if they could magic in the code with a few days of work, there would be people trying to get super spicey name combos.

I really do what more ways to get names though. I wish names were associated with the account verses what server they are on.

2 Likes

One thing I do to find a name is check for alternate spellings. Sometimes a name will be too popular but a lot of the time you can find something.

for example
Aerra
Aerha
Aerah
Aera
AĂ«ra
AĂ«rra
AĂŞra
AĂŞrra

And the list goes on and on and on. Though if I need to use a special character, I will usually just find another name, because it makes it harder to get mailed things when people cannot spell it.

2 Likes

Love that name. An unscrupulous individual, would be logging on to their main server as we type, in order to to snatch that. :smirk::grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Luckily I am only less than fully, not completely un-, scrupulous. And also too cheap to name change and too lazy to alt level.

Seriously though, I love that name. Big up. :index_pointing_at_the_viewer::+1::facepunch:

1 Like

They really should just let us use spaces and/or have a last name. Would solve the problem.

3 Likes

What was the suspended name? The fart ones seem not worth it to change lol, fart humor exists in kids books so it seems weird if they would make you change that. (Unless it’s on rp realm obviously)

I just use random names. Never been an issue for me.

Javaamp, son (and or daughter) of Layzebooey, descendent of Reclycner and Schandileer who have the ancestors name Llamalamp and Sheerpaper.

1 Like

One day we will get this…

I’m only agreeing because Blizz doesn’t seem to take their naming policy rules seriously especially on RP servers.

Otherwise, I think you (OP) can come up with better (medieval) names than

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I got Bloodflow on many realms. Actually, I got a whole bunch of nicer names on WrA, I was surprised they weren’t taken. Mashenka was open, which was very surprising.

It’s probably embedded pretty deep in the code. While it’s clear your character can be identified without it using unique identifiers (like when they ask for a rename), I would figure all the refs to it being spaghetti code in a million formats.

Maybe this actually needs a Wow2.

1 Like